iPod and USB 1.1/2.0?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hello. Does the iPod only work with USB 2.0? I'm reading the specs for the iPod line up at http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html . The site specifically says 'Firewire 400 or USB 2.0' for connectivity amongst the iPod mini, iPod Special Edition, Ipod and iPod photo.

I'm asking this because I want to purchase an iPod to work with my old PC (bought 6 years ago), and I don't think it has a USB 2.0 port!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    im pretty sure USB is backwards compatible... meaning USB 2 plugs will work (at a USB 1 rate) in a USB 1 slot and USB 1 plugs will work at a USB 1 rate in USB 2 slots... make sense? So it will work, just at the lowest common denominator as far as speed is concerned. Let me know if i'm wrong though... I dont have anything w/ USB 2
  • Reply 2 of 5
    the bad news is that ipod and ipod photo need usb 2.0 or firewire. the good news is that ipod shuffle works thru usb 1.1 and usb 2.0 and firewire cards are cheap.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Asaph

im pretty sure USB is backwards compatible... meaning USB 2 plugs will work (at a USB 1 rate) in a USB 1 slot and USB 1 plugs will work at a USB 1 rate in USB 2 slots... make sense? So it will work, just at the lowest common denominator as far as speed is concerned. Let me know if i'm wrong though... I dont have anything w/ USB 2

On the web site it says usb 2.0 and firewire, but on second thought it might work, just very very slow for the large amount of data that they hold if you set tight I will try an experiment to see.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    O.K. I tried it onan 20 gb ipod with about 10 gigs on it and while it did start the transver, it was dog slow. 30 minutes and it hadn't even began moving songs. My advice is get the shuffle or buy a cheap usb 2.0 card and install it yourself.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've used my iPod mini with my Ti PowerBook's USB 1.1 ports. I don't see why the iPod would be different, but you never know. The shuffle is just a glorious thumb drive and should be fine on either.