Using Airport Express as an ethernet jack for Mac Mini?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

From what I understand, you can now have multiple Airport Exprses stations on a network, with WPA security. Previously, you had to use bad WEP, if you wanted more than one station on the network. Am I correct, you can now use WPA?

Next, I have one airport express now, with WPA enabled. Can I add a second Airport Express and have it extend my wireless network, PLUS can I use the ethernet plug on the second Airport Express to provide a wired connection that I could plug an ethernet cable into, and then plug that into the Mac Mini? Does the Airport Express support such a thing? It (second airport express) would be getting the net connection from the first Airport Express wirelessly, but would it output that connection via the ethernet jack too?

That way people can buy a stock Mac Mini, without airport extreme, but still not have to wire the house. It would be a good solution for me, if the Express supports this. Does it?

I appreciate your help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Yes.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Yes.

actually, no.

airport express cannot be used to extend another base stations range.

and the ethernet jack on it is a WAN port, not a LAN port.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

actually, no.

airport express cannot be used to extend another base stations range.

and the ethernet jack on it is a WAN port, not a LAN port.

Airport express can be used to extend another base stations range. Apple says it can.

Apple also states that the WAN ethernet port can be used as a LAN port as well when the Express is being used to bridge the system to another base station.

Check the white paper at: http://switch.atdmt.com/action/apple...ch_overview...

switch.atdmt.com/action/apple_airportexpress_tech_overview

Edit: And before you look like an ass again, I suggest looking things up like I did before answering the question.