17" Apple Cinema Display?!? - Thoughts?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
The Mac mini is missing one thing, an affordable flat panel...

The 20" ACD is nice, but US$999 is pretty step...

Especially when you consider that the price of a Mac mini (1.42GHz CPU, 512MB RAM & SuperDrive) plus said 20" ACD is more than the cost of a new 20" iMac G5...! And the specs come out better with the iMac...

So, I want to see Apple release a new Cinema Display, using the 17" 1440x900 form factor currently used in the 17" iMac & 17" PowerBooks...

Maybe coming in at US$599?!?

Discuss!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Yes, I was very surpised that they did not announce a low-cost 17" monitor to go with the Mac Mini. Maybe it's in the pipeline.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Yeah, I totally agree with you.. they should have a 17" LCD WS monitor to go cheap with the Mac Mini, and they should really lower prices on keyboard and mouse..
  • Reply 3 of 9
    They did lower the price on keyboards and mice the week before MacWorld. That was a solid indicator that the headless Mac rumor was true.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by jaslu81

They did lower the price on keyboards and mice the week before MacWorld. That was a solid indicator that the headless Mac rumor was true.

Apple Wireless keyboard and Mouse costs 1066 kr in norway, they have gone down, but when you get the Logitech DiNova set fot 30 kr extra you start wondering..

and so you know, 1066kr is aprox 170 USD
  • Reply 5 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Perhaps they still have some old 17" flat panels that they're still trying to move out the door. A 17" wide-screen display is a no-brainer.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The whole point of a low end display is twofold: to keep Mac buyers from buying display elsewhere, and to keep computer buyers from buying both their whole system elsewhere. $599 is way too much IMO. Make it more like $400. The sooner Apple stops nickle-and-diming the entry models the sooner they will grow marketshare.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

The whole point of a low end display is twofold: to keep Mac buyers from buying display elsewhere, and to keep computer buyers from buying both their whole system elsewhere. $599 is way too much IMO. Make it more like $400. The sooner Apple stops nickle-and-diming the entry models the sooner they will grow marketshare.

While Im sure that Apple will sell plenty mini's themselves, I see this a way to grow sales outside of the traditional supply chain. Big US partners like Copmusa, Best Buy and HP will be able to create bundles and make better margins than what they get on other Apple gear. Someone with $2k to spend should be getting an iMac or a Powermac, someone with $800 or less can be getting the 15" or 17" bundle of the week with a Mini. The eMac may be just as good from the viewpoint of the user, but for the seller the opportunity to make more money will really drive the retailing of the Mini.

Particularly when 3rd parties start producing slices for it. I expect to see the Mini drive a peripheral frenzy just like the iPod and original iMac have done. Obvious opportunites are firewire and usb hubs, drive bays, audio and video, photo printers ( HP are already making white photo printers to match macs ). All of these third parties are already represented at the big chains, they will be pushing lots of cool bundles to move this stuff.

I wonder how intentional Apple were with the original requirements of this design? Did they start out by saying "Make the iBook into a desktop", and then see the possibilities? Or did they see what had happened with the iMac and iPod and set out to replicate that phenomenon?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I think they are going to take it really slow with the mini... and keep things very simple at first.

I suspect they could do the display for 499 easy if they wanted to.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    the whole point of the mac mini is that you dont have to buy keyboards and displays from apple. heck, people here even brag about their cheap dell monitors.