Problems with iPod !!! need help ASAP!!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
ok, first off, im going to Hawii in like 9 hours and i really need to put some music on my 15gb ipod.

ok now to the problem.....

i got my ipod yesterday and put music on it fine, but today i came over to my dad's house and installed iTunes and everything, but the computer doesnt recognize the iPod. whats weird is that the ipod will still charge when connected to the computer. ive updated all the software from apple.com but that didnt do anything, and of course ive restarted my computer. what else is wrong? how do i get it to work?!?! please help!! thanks!

p.s.- i use the firewire cable if that helps any...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    lithlith Posts: 10member
    .....and also, if i do get it to work, is it going to auto sync my libraby with my ipod when i plug it in? cause the library is empty at my dads, will it deleate all the songs i have on it now? what should i do to stop that? thanks guys!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiTh

.....and also, if i do get it to work, is it going to auto sync my libraby with my ipod when i plug it in? cause the library is empty at my dads, will it deleate all the songs i have on it now? what should i do to stop that? thanks guys!

The iPod can only sync to one computer. If you hook it up to a different computer, a message saying something like "This iPod is paired with another computer. Do you want to pair it with this one? All your music will be erased." So, yes, if you sync it with your dad's computer you WILL lose all your tunes.

The iPod defaults to automatically updating if you library will fit on it. Otherwise, you'll get some prompts to help you through the process.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    thats one problem down, thanks man, any ideas about the connection problem?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

thats one problem down, thanks man, any ideas about the connection problem?

No clue really. What does the screen of the iPod show? Is it a big check mark or is it a circle with a line through it? If it has the check, try unplugging and replugging it in. BTW, are you on a Mac or a PC?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    im on a PC, the ipod just shows just the main menu and whereever i tell it to go
  • Reply 6 of 18
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Try booting is firewire disk mode. First hold down the menu+play/pause buttons until the iPod restarts. Than immediately hold down the forward and reverse buttons. This should force the iPod to mount as a firewire hard disk. It may not show up in itunes, but it would simplify the connection and can help troubleshoot.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    after im in that mode, what should i do?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Plug the iPod into the computer and see it it mounts as a firewire disk. It probably won't show up in iTunes.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    nope that didnt work, any more ideas?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    #1: Are you using PC or Mac? (Like torifile asked)

#2: I have a hunch the problem is not with the iPod but your computer. If you go to "Your hard drive->Applications->Utilities->System Profiler" (on a Mac) and click firewire does the iPod show up on the firewire bus? If it does, you may have a format issue preventing the iPod from mounting. If your iPod doesn't show up there, well... I would be a little worried.\
  • Reply 11 of 18
    i said i was on PC lol
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Woops. How did that slip by? Than I believe you want something like Start menu->settings->System->Hardware->device manager or something like that. Hopefully the iPod shows up somewhere there. I havn't used a PC for such a long time my memory is a little fuzzy.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    nope not there.... thx anyways...
  • Reply 14 of 18
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm confused. If you don't want to transfer any music from your dad's computer, what's the problem? Is there data that you want to put on the hard drive of the iPod?

The problem sounds like a driver issue on the PC, to me.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    i still cannot get my ipod to work at my dads!! anyone else have any ideas?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

i still cannot get my ipod to work at my dads!! anyone else have any ideas?

at this point, pick ONE computer with your desired music on it, reformat the ipod using the software restore thats on the CD that came with the pod. then that one computer will recognize your pod, transfer, charge using a wall (to charge faster), and enjoy your trip
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

#1: Are you using PC or Mac? (Like torifile asked)

#2: I have a hunch the problem is not with the iPod but your computer. If you go to "Your hard drive->Applications->Utilities->System Profiler" (on a Mac) and click firewire does the iPod show up on the firewire bus? If it does, you may have a format issue preventing the iPod from mounting. If your iPod doesn't show up there, well... I would be a little worried.\

I'm having a similar problem with mine and it doesn't show up in the system profiler. I just got my iBook back from Apple yesterday with a new logic board. When I plug my iPod in, it charges but it won't mount. If I plug in with a USB cable, it mounts and updates like it should. Does this mean there is a problem with the firewire port? Is that related to the logic board?