Apple to manufacture 100,000 Mac minis a month, more...

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

I can see a new iBook, but doubt that it will be G5. My thought is a wide screen replacement for the 12" and maybe better displays - especially for the 14".

Why'd you change an overall successful product?

Indeed i see a long long future concerning

the current iBook - especially its current formfactor.

Perhaps they change the color slightly, dig more into grey,

tint dull black what ever.

Form achieved nearly perfection. Apple knows this.

Every fellow iBook owner bought his/her iBook,

because of its perfect manifestation of form and function.

Say endsville?

And one more little thing about processors, specs and

other useless battles (regarding iBook as it is). No one

who bought one (at least those, who i know. ) was ever

interested in mumbo jumbo tech talk. Well...
  • Reply 22 of 55
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eric_Z

You know, when I read the chart...

...I get the impression that there could be two models of iBooks one (propably) G4 and one G5.

Thoughts?

No, they simply mean that total iBooks shipments for 2005 will be between 1.3 and 1.5 million. They are counting both the iBook G4 that is currently shipping and the iBook G5 that will replace it, that's all.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I am so SICK of people speculating about a G5 Powerbook. It's GOING to happen EVENTUALLY and you'll expect to buy it when Apple ANNOUNCES it. Speculating about one ISN'T going to get it into production ANY SOONER.

you rock. i feel the same way.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

same here

Here's a brief and patchy history of the G4 for you. I hope this helps.

Motorola came up with the G4 (MPC7400) in late 1999, replacing the G3 (made by IBM) initially in PowerMacs. The major difference between the G3 and G4 is Altivec (or as Apple calls it, the Velocity Engine).

Since then, Motorola put out the 7410, 7450, 7441, 7445/7455 and 7457/7447. Each of these chips was an improvement on the first - some in terms of extra L2 cache, increased branch sizes, higher Mhz, etc.

Here's the website: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...018rH3bTdG8653

When Motorola split off its semiconductor business (now called Freescale), it came out with the 7447a and a plan to build the 7448 and the 8641/8641D.

Here's the website: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...018rH3bTdG7249

And, if you want to know more about the PowerPC G3 and G4 from an even more complicated view, see Hannibal's piece over at Ars: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/ppc-2.ars
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Someone in Taiwan had a brain explosion...nothing to see here.

G4 7447B in the next update within the next month and then...who knows? 7448 or 970 variant? Anybody got a Harvey Birdman Mystical 8-ball? What does it say
  • Reply 26 of 55
    hi people, i am in the same time zone, more or less, as taiwan, and at 12.30pm i just tried to call Digitimes HQ... just got voice mail on the operator, and just got voice mail on one of the main people listed there - a Sylvia Wu for general enquiries.

i think my strategy was to pose as someone working in Apple Malaysia to report the "error - G5 should be G4" to them, to see if i can glean any information from them.

i might try emailing now... will report back if any updates surface
  • Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

hi people, i am in the same time zone, more or less, as taiwan, and at 12.30pm i just tried to call Digitimes HQ... just got voice mail on the operator, and just got voice mail on one of the main people listed there - a Sylvia Wu for general enquiries.

i think my strategy was to pose as someone working in Apple Malaysia to report the "error - G5 should be G4" to them, to see if i can glean any information from them.

i might try emailing now... will report back if any updates surface

Good idea. Maybe try back during the week too. Good investigation you're doing! Thanks.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    When you consider that Apple has been playing with PowerPC 970 chips for over two years now, it doesn't seem terribly implausible that they'd have figured out a way to shoehorn one effectively into a laptop?especially when you factor in their newfound penchant for liquid cooling systems.

Further, from a practical standpoint, an iBook G5 is even more doable than a PowerBook G5, as it has a larger internal volume and a lower component density. At low clock rates (the 1.2-1.4GHz of current iBooks, for example) the latest 970fx chips may even run nearly cool enough to function in the current iBook design, particularly because of the processor's robust power stepping features. By crippling the systems with inadequate GPUs and limited memory capacity as they do current iBooks, Apple could very easily release iBook G5s alongside PowerBook G5s without cannibalizing professional sales. There is really no practical reason, and little marketing rationale to continue hobbling the iBook with a G4. By moving the entire portable line to a G5, Apple would draw a clean distinction between its computers (Power Mac, iMac, PowerBook, iBook) and its appliances (eMac, Mac mini).

As far as faster Power Macs are concerned, I think that Steve may be a bit embarassed by his initial 3GHz promise and determined not to release another update without fulfilling it. It's been long enough for IBM to work out a saleable volume of 2.7-3GHz parts and I would expect to see the entire line move to 2.3-3.0GHz at WWDC?no slower and no sooner.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    People, here's my guess. Forget the Power4-based "G5" for future major revisions to iBooks, PowerBooks, PowerMacs, xServes... in 2005... (iMac G5 will be ramped in 2006 to G6)

iBook G5 and PowerBook G5 may be Power5-based, next gen 970 or 980(?) PowerPC chip...

IBM Server dude:

http://www.insanely-great.com/news.php?id=4162

MacNewsWorld, MacObserver reports just such a thing - the Power5 chip from IBM... all refer to an InfoWorld article on Power5

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/39327.html

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/12/15.7.shtml

This Tom Yager guy seems to be the main cheerleader for Power5 and possible Power5 in Apple...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/inde...mp;NewsID=10441

This would be a clear no-brainer strategy for Apple. Here's what the structure would look like by the middle-to-end of the year. It's a nice spread that covers the market and maintains profit, vision...

entry-level switchers and education:

emac and Mac mini G4

"Apple as consumer electronics, you've had iPod, now have a Mac"

consumer desktop:

iMac G5 (Power4-based)

"Apple as a solid fun desktop for mid-range"

portables for education and consumer:

iBook G5mobile (Power5-based)

"Affordable powerful portable"

professional portables

PowerBook G5mobile (Power5-based)

"Cutting-edge portable to integrate with your desktop workflow if needed"

professional desktop

PowerMac G6 (Power5-based)

"The beast."

Xserves...

(insert prediction here)

(probably follows closely from PowerMac G6)
  • Reply 30 of 55
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Every indication so far points to the Power5 demolishing the Power4, and everything else for that matter. Setting aside feasibility concerns, why would Apple release an iBook that stomps all over the iMac? Or the mini for that matter?

Then, of course, there are the feasibility issues. The Power5 is engineered to be much lower cost, and with much lower heat dissipation, than the Power4, but that doesn't mean that it's going right into an iBook.

If you want something coming down the pike that scales up Apple's entire line like that, well, there's Cell...

• Reply 31 of 55
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Look at who and what IBM is building processor products for and then consider the thermal requirements of those things. That ought to provide some illumination on this subject.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    meromero Posts: 27member
    I would like to point out that their is absolutely no mention of the current Powerbook G4 shipments to fill the gap between now and the second quarter of this year, and so in essence they are saying that the current Powerbook line will not be updated for 6 months, and also not manufactured for 6 months. The implication, then, is that the current Powerbook model will be 16 months old by the time a G5 arrives. Would Apple abandon its Prosumer line that much? Further, I do not believe that it has ever lagged a product line that much.

Highly unlikely. There is room for another update. One that most rumor sites speculate will occure this month, and it is a logical expectation even if you choose to believe digitimes or not.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Wait a minute, not six months..

We're in quarter 2 right now. Apple's fiscal year 2005 started in October of 2004

WWDC doesn't happen in quarter 2.

If these numbers are accurate, then the Powerbook G5s are being manufactured now, and either scheduled for release this quarter, or being stockpiled for release next quarter.

If G4s are no longer being made, then they will almost certainly release soon, because Powerbooks are nearly unavailable right now, everybody's running out.

If these numbers aren't accurate of course, this all means nothing.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by iRobot

We're in quarter 2 right now. Apple's fiscal year 2005 started in October of 2004

Yes, I get your point, and it makes things more exciting! However, I think the report was written around the actual year, not fiscal year.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JiveTurkey

When you consider that Apple has been playing with PowerPC 970 chips for over two years now, it doesn't seem terribly implausible that they'd have figured out a way to shoehorn one effectively into a laptop?especially when you factor in their newfound penchant for liquid cooling systems.

Further, from a practical standpoint, an iBook G5 is even more doable than a PowerBook G5, as it has a larger internal volume and a lower component density. At low clock rates (the 1.2-1.4GHz of current iBooks, for example) the latest 970fx chips may even run nearly cool enough to function in the current iBook design, particularly because of the processor's robust power stepping features. By crippling the systems with inadequate GPUs and limited memory capacity as they do current iBooks, Apple could very easily release iBook G5s alongside PowerBook G5s without cannibalizing professional sales. There is really no practical reason, and little marketing rationale to continue hobbling the iBook with a G4. By moving the entire portable line to a G5, Apple would draw a clean distinction between its computers (Power Mac, iMac, PowerBook, iBook) and its appliances (eMac, Mac mini).

As far as faster Power Macs are concerned, I think that Steve may be a bit embarassed by his initial 3GHz promise and determined not to release another update without fulfilling it. It's been long enough for IBM to work out a saleable volume of 2.7-3GHz parts and I would expect to see the entire line move to 2.3-3.0GHz at WWDC?no slower and no sooner.

Apple are already threatening the sale of PowerBooks. The difference between an iBook and a PowerBook is a 32MB GPU (and DVI), slightly slower RAM (and less if look at 15" and 17") and an audio in port. Lots of people are going for iBooks instead of PowerBooks now because the difference isn't enough. But remember these iBooks and PowerBooks are both fast, iBooks are definitely fast enough for the consumer they're designed for. I want to see 1.5GHz iBook G4s and 2.0 GHz PowerBook G5s.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by iRobot

The article doesn't mention whether they are referring to the fiscal or calendar quarter though.

If both the PowerBooks and iBooks move to the G5 this could make room for a PowerBook mini (or iBook mini) subnotebook based on the G4. Hey, those future G4 chips have to go somewhere.

• Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

The article doesn't mention whether they are referring to the fiscal or calendar quarter though.

Replying to my own post. They are indeed referring to the 2nd calendar quarter and not the fiscal quarter. Note they mention the iPod Shuffle as available now while the iBook/PowerBook G5 as Q2 so yes, it's the April/May/June timeframe for these. My guess would be WWDC.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

Note they mention the iPod Shuffle as available now while the iBook/PowerBook G5 as Q2 so yes, it's the April/May/June timeframe for these. My guess would be WWDC.

Anyway, I see only time frame issues with such considerations. If indeed they are going to release a Powerbook/iBook G5 in WWDC, then there are two options: (1) leave the current models without update until then, which will make what, 14-15 months without update for the Powerbook? (2) Update the Powerbook with a G4 this or next month, and then in WWDC with a G5. But this would be only 4-5 months from the last update.

It is clear I think it is not going to happen.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Anyway, I see only time frame issues with such considerations. If indeed they are going to release a Powerbook/iBook G5 in WWDC, then there are two options: (1) leave the current models without update until then, which will make what, 14-15 months without update for the Powerbook? (2) Update the Powerbook with a G4 this or next month, and then in WWDC with a G5. But this would be only 4-5 months from the last update.

It is clear I think it is not going to happen.

If Apple announce PowerBooks on Tuesday and then at WWDC new G5 PowerBooks, coming out in September, it leaves seven months or so, also PowerBooks would ship with Tiger (good as 64-bit).
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by bdkennedy1

I am so SICK of people speculating about a G5 Powerbook. It's GOING to happen EVENTUALLY and you'll expect to buy it when Apple ANNOUNCES it. Speculating about one ISN'T going to get it into production ANY SOONER.

Why are you even here?