How can Adobe InDesign CS be so good and GoLive suck so bad?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
How is this possible? It is like a bunch of scattered brain dorks got together and made GoLive.

InDesign, PhotoShop, Writer are all absolutely awesome! So I bought the CS suite thinking GoLive would be great if it was just half as good as the rest. Dang, I am soooo disappointed in GoLive. I hate to say it but FrontPage rocks compared to GoLive. I think I will try DreamWeaver next and see how that goes.

Had to rant...

Eric

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Heh. Just wait until you use Dreamweaver.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Sadly, there is no great WYSIWYG web design program. I use dreamweaver becuase it is better than anything else out there but it is far from great.

I too am very upset with GoLive. I love PS CS I wish some of PS's greatness could wear off. Sadly it hasn't. Maybe if Adobe rebuitl GoLive from the ground up (with a whole new team), i would consider it agian
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Aw ... Just use BBedit. It doesn't suck !
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Dreamweaver has always wiped the floor with GoLive for code compliance.

GoLive used to luuurve proprietary tags, at one point 2nd only to Frontpage...

as a result it made non-standard code too often (better now than it once was).

DW has traditionally produced cleaner, more compatible pages.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silver

Aw ... Just use BBedit. It doesn't suck !

Although i do know HTML , i do not know it well enough to create webpages from just code as you are reqiured to do in BBedit. Plus, DW does have nice code highlighting and the added features of BBedit do not merit its cost if someone owns DW already
  • Reply 6 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I will never go back to the days of coding my own pages. I use too many tables for that crap. Plus, I don't want to spend my life html'ing when there are so many better things to be doing.

I will give DW a try.

Worse case is I continue to use FrontPage via network over MS Remote Desktop.

Eric
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Unfortunately, as long as you use FrontPage you are part of the problem. There can never be a good Web editor as long as functional web code is a de facto Microsoft standard.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

I will never go back to the days of coding my own pages. I use too many tables for that crap. Plus, I don't want to spend my life html'ing when there are so many better things to be doing.

I will give DW a try.

Eric

Actually, I did give DW a try. Several times. But it never did what *I* wanted, and/or it was too slow. But I'm probably just old skool
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

Sadly, there is no great WYSIWYG web design program. I use dreamweaver becuase it is better than anything else out there but it is far from great.

Perhaps your idea of a "great" WYSIWYG editor is fantastical.

I'd say DW MX approaches greatness, if you know what the hell you're doing. It won't design your site for you, but it's a hell of a program.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    After using GoLive and Frontpage for years you learn to appreciate Dreamweaver a lot more.

I used Frontpage for four years at school (forced to work with their MS systems), then got GoLive hoping it would be better... used it for a while, not impressed, then went to Dreamweaver and never looked back.

No matter how much dreamweaver annoys me, or even pisses me off sometimes I always smile when I think of it compared to GoLive or Frontpage.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I have been lucky enough to find a friend with DW on their machine.

DW rocks!

Thanks guys!

Eric
  • Reply 12 of 14
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jwink3101

I too am very upset with GoLive. I love PS CS I wish some of PS's greatness could wear off. Sadly it hasn't. Maybe if Adobe rebuitl GoLive from the ground up (with a whole new team), i would consider it agian

Agreed!

Illustrator and InDesign rock, Photoshop is not quite as good and GoLive is SHIT! It's because you can't design in it, you have to import everything. FrontPage is easier! I don't like Dreamweaver either.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

How is this possible? It is like a bunch of scattered brain dorks got together and made GoLive.

You don't seem to appreciate that GoLive was an acquisition by Adobe, while Photoshop was built in-house.

GoLive Cyberstudio was lauded when it was launched (by a German software house, I believe) and it was snapped up by Adobe, which was being badly beaten in the marketplace by Macromedia.

Of course, that hasn't changed.

There really isn't a good beginner to mid-range Web Design app out there.

Since Apple has seen it fit to take on MS Publisher with Pages, maybe they'll take on FrontPage as well. I'm convinced that only Apple can do this right.

My take on this is that a good WYSIWYG web app would need a Keynote-style sidebar, so you can navigate easily to different pages and instantly see the site hierarchy.

Excellent Templates would be a natural for Apple. A Site Planner for the New user would be nice. Open the app and click "plan site' and the app asks you what kind of site you want to build, how many pages and what each page is for. Maybe the app could auto-generate a site with navigation bar with buttons linked to each page in the sidebar (according to the template chosen.) Save the new user a lot of work.

Maybe Quicktime 7/H.264 will allow for Apple to building in very easy "streaming" capabilities. GoLive has a million options for that, but I've never bothered to try to figure it out.

The question is whether Apple could implement an easy-to-use database driven solution. Who knows, maybe that's why the spreadsheet/database portion of iWork hasn't been implemented yet.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    imeime Posts: 40member
    Never really got into Adobe stuff other than Photoshop and Acrobat. I've always been a Macromedia guy - using Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Contribute.

Highly suggest you try the Macromedia software if you didn't enjoy the Adobe stuff.