What Companies use Apple on the Enterprise level?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was discussing with a friend/colleague of mine about Apple, he is an IT guy. And he said that there are no companies, outside of the multimedia arena that uses Apple as their primary system on an Enterprise level. That basically if you are in business one should only really use MS-Windows OS. Part of his POV is the fact that his own client base is Windows (100%), so of course he most likely will not see it, and he says that he knows of no IT person, that has considered Apple/OS-X as a replacement or to add to an Enterprise network.

So...are there known public examples of companies, large and small that use Apple OS-X as their primary or along with Windows desktops that are not geared to multimedia (graphic/advertisement/movie production/music production - Houses/Enterprises). And I am sure that our own government uses it, even our intelligence agencies. Your examples will be most appreciated. Thanks - Parham

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Well, apple uses apple on an enterprise level

But really, there is pixar, and a few mom and pop shops.

Apple has not caught on in corprate america yet because

a) before the mac mini, user seats were cost prohibitive although the mac mini may not help, IT depts like to be able to do all of the service in house, as much as possible, this leads to cost saveings and less downtime which means efficentcy

b) Flacky exchange suport

c) Way too much money invested in the windows backend (something may change in the next 3 years as more upgrade cycles come arround replaceing the year 2000 era systems)

d) in the last round of major corprate system overhauls, osx was not availible, or was in beta, not something a company would roll out for stability conserns, and OS/9 sucked, like all clasic OSs from apple, it was ass backwards and retarded next to windows, no one took os 9 seriously, but now, OSX has proven its self, it is rock solid and less prone to crap,

The bottom line, as in any corprate upgrade, will be the cost of onership v the benifits and profit potential from such an upgrade, how will apple handle software licenseing for major corperations? and hardware: will there be leaseing programs availible? and what about training for windows IT managers and end-users?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Nortel used to be HP Unix for engineers, Macs for

managers.

3 or 4 years ago, we started to change - Linux for

engineers, Windows 2000 for managers. Our IT people

were very agressive in getting rid of macs - and

they wanted us on windows, luckily Linux saved us

from that horror.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    :-):-) Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EthoX

I was discussing with a friend/colleague of mine about Apple, he is an IT guy. And he said that there are no companies, outside of the multimedia arena that uses Apple as their primary system on an Enterprise level. That basically if you are in business one should only really use MS-Windows OS. Part of his POV is the fact that his own client base is Windows (100%), so of course he most likely will not see it, and he says that he knows of no IT person, that has considered Apple/OS-X as a replacement or to add to an Enterprise network.

So...are there known public examples of companies, large and small that use Apple OS-X as their primary or along with Windows desktops that are not geared to multimedia (graphic/advertisement/movie production/music production - Houses/Enterprises). And I am sure that our own government uses it, even our intelligence agencies. Your examples will be most appreciated. Thanks - Parham

I think you could find some research companies running primarily on macs, I believe Genentech bought the first 1000 lamp iMacs? (of course I have no clue as to whether this represents any significant percentage of their computer-base)

Part of the reasons macs do well in science is probably the widespread use at universities.

:-)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by :-)

Part of the reasons macs do well in science is probably the widespread use at universities.

:-)

Not to mention OSX is unix, which the comp sci and engineering guys like.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Cisco just switched their mail storage to Apple's Xsan.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    The reason that you don't get Apple in the enterprise is that there is no native password expiry/user expiry etc that comes with most other OS's and other basic security setting for controlling thousands of users.

The LDAP support pre 10.3 sucked but even if you do use ldap and your password expires you can't change it as the PAM contains none of the relevant screens.

When I was working for a large American Bank, we were looking at installing Mac on hundreds of trader desktops but we would have to re-write the PAM to accomodate 30 day password expiration and the appropriate screens that EVERY corporate uses. Apple was invited to look into this but it didn't interest them (this was using 10.1).

The Bank limited apple to only certain apps and we had to drop them. This still pisses me as we even wrote a couple of basic screens (enter old password, new etc) to show how easy it was.

Dobby.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    There was a cool session at Macworld with the IT guy from Genetech. They have thousands of Macs deployed.