Airport Extreme Disable DHCP??

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Could someone tell me if what I want to do is possible? Basicly I have a Airport Extreme Base station set up at home with several macs and pc's working off it fine. Recently I purchased a dell laptop, "no comment there".. but anyways I have it set up so that my wireless connection on it connects to my local college when I am in the school. In windows I set up the tcp/ip settings so that I would have "Alternate Configuration" set up for my house here in order to receive the IP address I want, not one assigned fromt he base station. Dosent seem to work though the base station automatically gives me the next available host after the router.

Any ideas how I can set up the base station to just select the ip specified by my pc's and mac's?

thanks much..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It should work ok if you leave the airport base station set for DHCP but set the computer up to have a fixed manual ip address, the only problem would occur where you tried to connect a fixed ip to the network and the base station had already assigned it to another machine.

To avoid this it would be wise to select a fixed address well up the range that the base station assigns.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jake bullet

It should work ok if you leave the airport base station set for DHCP but set the computer up to have a fixed manual ip address, the only problem would occur where you tried to connect a fixed ip to the network and the base station had already assigned it to another machine.

To avoid this it would be wise to select a fixed address well up the range that the base station assigns.

Should it be set to DHCP and NAT or just DHCP? Reason I ask is for example here is my settings.

G4: 192.168.1.100

G5: 192.168.1.101

Desktop PC: 192.168.1.102

IBM Thinkpad: 192.168.1.103

HP LaserJet printer: 192.168.1.104

HP DesignJet Printer: 192.168.1.105

Now all this equipment is obviously fixed here in my home office. With the Dell laptop, I have the laptop for IP: 192.168.1.106 which in theory would be the next available host, but the problem is, I have to hard code it in Windows XP as an "Alternate Configuration" because the main config for my wireless network has to be obtain IP automatically etc... for hte college because they dont assign specific I's to the students.

I was hoping by putting in a Alternate Configuration the airport would just take that one instead of sticking to the initial setting like the college dows and just gives me an IP.

Any more help would be great.

thanks
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Right, I'm a bit confused now!

Why do you need a fixed ip address for this machine? Can you not just allow the base station to assign an ip address?

I guess I'm just a bit puzzled at what the problem is!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    well for some reason, when the base station assignes the ip, the network on the laptop " the one im having probs with" seems to run very slow. When I have a specific IP assigned it runs nice. Also, I have other computers that have a safe list of ip's that the computer can trust. Unfortunately when the base station just assigns an IP, the otehr computers dont know that the "safe computer" is really a saaafe computer becuase the ip can vary.

see what im getting at??
  • Reply 5 of 7
    If the other computers have a list of trusted ip's then they could suffer the same trouble if their ip address ever changed, maybe you would be better to just set up all of the ip addresses at home manually?

I don't know about the pc but with the mac you'd just set up the details of two networks (home and college) and then pick which one to connect to. You'd set the college one for DHCP and the home one for manual config and give it a fixed ip address.

I suppose there is a similar facility on the PC?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by jake bullet

If the other computers have a list of trusted ip's then they could suffer the same trouble if their ip address ever changed, maybe you would be better to just set up all of the ip addresses at home manually?

I don't know about the pc but with the mac you'd just set up the details of two networks (home and college) and then pick which one to connect to. You'd set the college one for DHCP and the home one for manual config and give it a fixed ip address.

I suppose there is a similar facility on the PC?

Ya I guess so. But as I stated before, all the pc's and mac's and printers at home are here to stay kinda thing. So it's fine to manually hard code there ip's. It's just the laptop that is giving me a prob. For instance lets say that myself and a few classmates come to my house. Well its ok after I give them the SSID they can all connect, but I never know what IP I will get. The prob is that I dont want them to have access to any of the otehr systems etc.. Plus on the mac when I go connect to server, I usually just put int he IP of the laptop, now I am just not sure how to find out the ip of the laptop with out actually checking hte laptop either htrough IPCONFIG or the wireless connection and thats a pain in the but for sure.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Best bet for the classmates thing might be to fix all of your ip addresses and then set up the DHCP range to start outside of the 'trusted' range, that way they won't ever get assigned one of them.

All you need to do with the pc is set up another network location, call it 'home' and use a manual ip address, then when you come home you just change the location. Theres a couple of ways to do this with a mac, I just don't know the way to do it on a pc, maybe someone else here might?