I need advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I posted earlier this week, but got only 1 reply. The situation is that my old iMac broke, and I'm not sure what to do next. We took it to a repair person and they said they could transfer all my files to something (like a new computer) and then keep my imac for parts. I know thats kind of ripping my off but I imagine i wouldn't be able to do this myself (correct me if i'm wrong) but i'm not sure what to do next. I know that I want a G5, but don't want to spend over $2,000. Any advice, or thoughts (maybe wait because prices should drop soon???). Any info will be appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by mickermack08

I posted earlier this week, but got only 1 reply. The situation is that my old iMac broke, and I'm not sure what to do next. We took it to a repair person and they said they could transfer all my files to something (like a new computer) and then keep my imac for parts. I know thats kind of ripping my off but I imagine i wouldn't be able to do this myself (correct me if i'm wrong) but i'm not sure what to do next. I know that I want a G5, but don't want to spend over $2,000. Any advice, or thoughts (maybe wait because prices should drop soon???). Any info will be appreciated.

Copying the files off is really easy if your harddrive is alive and well. As for what to do with your money -- have you considered the new iMac G5's?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

Copying the files off is really easy if your harddrive is alive and well. As for what to do with your money -- have you considered the new iMac G5's?

The hard drive is fine, however the motherboard is fried, so I can't actually turn on my computer, is this still easy? Also, I am definately considering an iMac G5, however, I don't want to buy one now, and see the prices drop a month from now and the speeds go up. That's basically my biggest concern, is if a price drop is probably coming in a month, or not for a while (like 6 months from now).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by mickermack08

The hard drive is fine, however the motherboard is fried, so I can't actually turn on my computer, is this still easy? Also, I am definately considering an iMac G5, however, I don't want to buy one now, and see the prices drop a month from now and the speeds go up. That's basically my biggest concern, is if a price drop is probably coming in a month, or not for a while (like 6 months from now).

All you need to do is take the hard drive out of the computer and either purchase an external hard drive case that you can stick it into or find a friend with a tower with the appropriate hard drive connections to transfer the data off of...

As for when the iMacs will be recieving an update -- I don't know, probably not until summer though...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    A fried mother board may have been caused by a power surge.

If you had any half way descent surge protector, the damage

may be covered by their policy.

If not, your home owners insurance might cover it.

IF a repair shop certifies that a surge may have caused the damage.

A surge can come through either your electric lines OR phone

lines.

In fact Apple recommended that I use an external modem

living here on my mountain.

7 external modems later I guess they know what they were talking about.

If you were happy before with your G4 iMac,

you should be even more satisfied with a G5 anything.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    zodiaczodiac Posts: 138member
    Get something cheaper than a G5 maybe?