Comments

• Reply 1 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by JRC

Nice little toy.

How nice is it?
  • Reply 2 of 126
    asaphasaph Posts: 176member
    Can you give us (me) some insight as to how the lanyard cap works? I really want one, but I don't want my shuffle falling out. is there a clip of some sort inside the cap?
  • Reply 3 of 126
    I played with one all day today...the cap is actually pretty interesting. There is a hole on each side of the USB port and there are two ball bearing on the inside of the cap that snap into the holes as the cap is placed. It's a smooth snap on and a smooth snap off. But it's definitely a snap and won't be falling off any time in the near future.
  • Reply 4 of 126
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I need a new USB flash drive. I think the 1GB Shuffle is about $50-$60 more than the same size flash drive so ... why not?
  • Reply 5 of 126
    Can you post some real life pics of it? I really want one also. The 1 GB Shuffle is the one that I want.
  • Reply 6 of 126
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I need a new USB flash drive. I think the 1GB Shuffle is about $50-$60 more than the same size flash drive so ... why not?

The iPod Shuffle works well as a hard drive.

I was talking with a reviewer for MacWorld at the expo, and after the interview, we were trying to figure out how to get the beta versions of our software from my laptop onto laptop.

"Do you have a firewire cable?"... "nope"... hrm

"Do you have an ethernet cable?"... "nope"... hrm

"Do you have airport?"... "nope"... hrm

We sat there and pondered the issue like a pair of idiots, when I suddenly thought of the iPod Shuffle I had hanging around my neck.

"We're idiots" I said.

Anyway, I plugged it in, resized the partition to allow for more drive space... to my surprise, it resized the volume instantaneously, and I copied the data onto it, unplugged it, and copied the data off of the Shuffle and onto his machine.

Then I put the headphones into my ears, and listened to some Jane's Addiction as I walked back to our booth.

Nice.
  • Reply 7 of 126
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Sold
  • Reply 8 of 126
    Well fuck, looks like I'll be getting one too now.
  • Reply 9 of 126
    Ordered one 512MB

I'm must waiting 2-4 weeks
  • Reply 10 of 126
    i read in some review that the slider in the back is hard to push and that you really need to put some force on the shuffle to move it, is this true? and how do the buttons on the front feel? responsive, dull, etc?
  • Reply 11 of 126
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Adam_89

i read in some review that the slider in the back is hard to push and that you really need to put some force on the shuffle to move it, is this true? and how do the buttons on the front feel? responsive, dull, etc?

No, that is not true. The slider moves quite easily on mine, but won't move accidentally either.

As for the buttons on front, they are, well, buttons. They have enough tactile feel that you're unlikely to hit them by accident.
  • Reply 12 of 126
    Alright.. no more word from JRC?

I wonder when will the iPod shuffle hit my local AppleStore? I checked yesterday.. no goal. I'm currently using the 2G iPod (10GB) and the Shuffle fits my need esp. the small size.
  • Reply 13 of 126
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Alright.. no more word from JRC?

I wonder when will the iPod shuffle hit my local AppleStore? I checked yesterday.. no goal. I'm currently using the 2G iPod (10GB) and the Shuffle fits my need esp. the small size.

I got mine in the Apple Store on Friday.
  • Reply 14 of 126
    Got mine today too, total surprise to be honest, wasn't expecting it for ages

btw, barefeats.com mention something about rebates for display-buyers who bought just before the price drop but their link didn't work, anyone else hear about this?
  • Reply 15 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The iPod shuffle has made him decide to post randomly.

clever.

I went to the University Village Apple Store here in Seattle and no iPod Shuffle's ..drat. Well I don't have to get my mother one until May. I might get one for myself though.
  • Reply 16 of 126
    The fact that it won't play Apple's own lossless format is a huge downer. just about all of my ripped music is in Lossless.
  • Reply 17 of 126
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smatanovic

The fact that it won't play Apple's own lossless format is a huge downer. just about all of my ripped music is in Lossless.

That's why Apple has a feature in the newest iTunes that automatically compresses to 128k AAC for you.
  • Reply 18 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

That's why Apple has a feature in the newest iTunes that automatically compresses to 128k AAC for you.

Who the hell wants to listen to 128k AAC? It sounds like crap. That's the whole reason I ripped in Lossless...
  • Reply 19 of 126
    pbg3pbg3 Posts: 211member
    How many songs would you be able to fit in lossless? Like, 15 at most? What's the point.
  • Reply 20 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG3

How many songs would you be able to fit in lossless? Like, 15 at most? What's the point.

15 or so songs is perfect, actually. The only reason I would want a shuffle is for exercising, etc. I have a 20 gb when I need more music. I just think that frcing everyone to listen to 128 AAC just to be able to use the shuffle is a bit shortsighted.