Mac crashes just before Login window

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Context: Power Mac G5 Dual, Mac OS X 10.3.6

The other day there, my machine kept freezing just as it was about to load the login window during start-up.

Rebooting, shutting down and repairing the permissions failed to solve the problem, as did spinning around on the spot three times and throwing salt over my left shoulder. In the end I had to do an 'install & archive'.

Any ideas what might have caused this? I've never seen this problem before. Luckily all the user data was still there.

I'm currently in the middle of backing the machine up - 37 DVDs worth of stuff that hasn't been backed-up before

The dangers of having 400GB of disk space, eh?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I just had the same thing happen on my iMac G5 10.3.6 before I updated to 10.3.7.

Two possible causes but I believe I found the culprit. Virex. After the Virex install, my computer ran like crap. When checking the system memory usage, I found nearly 800 meg of ram being used and the only thing open was itunes.

The red spinning beach ball of death would show up everytime I booted up, except in safe mode where I think I had to hold down the shift key or something like that.

Anyway, I had to reinstall. I am back to normal and have not loaded virex and so far everything is running great! Virtual PC was the other suspect but I believe I have ruled it out. Good luck.

I saw a powermac in CompUSA tonight for the first time. WOW. What a nice machine. I like the foot print of my 20" iMac but next time I will probably get the dual PowerMac. What power and what a rock solid case!!!!

Eric
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Am sorry to say that booting to single user mode and renaming com.apple.loginwindow.plist in your users prefs folder would have been enough.

But always good to do a backup (if you dont have a reason to do it...)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Skalman

Am sorry to say that booting to single user mode and renaming com.apple.loginwindow.plist in your users prefs folder would have been enough.

just curious about why ??