What unix software will work?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi there!

I am currently a pc user, and just ordered a mac mini.

Will standard unix software work on MacOS-X, if the libraries needed to compile are present for the ppc architecture?

Also, is there standard software like webservers, ssh daemon etc. included?

thx!

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    OSX has a lot of UNIXy goodness underneath. It can remain completely hidden from view if you like, but the entire UNIX world is right there in the Terminal if you want it...

All the standard UNIX utilties are pre-loaded on machines that ship with OSX, although they are an optional install if you re-install OSX from the CDs ("BSD Subsystem"). This includes your shells (bash, tcsh, etc.), system utilties, text editors, all the usual stuff. OSX also comes pre-loaded with Apache, sshd and ftpd. You can turn these process on and off with one mouse click in the Sharing panel of System Preferences. "Personal web sharing" is Apache, "Remote Login" is sshd, etc. All the usual congifuration files still exist, so if you want to fine-tune your Apache webserver you can edit the files in /etc/httpd/; and if you want to restrict which accounts can use remote login, you can edit /etc/sshd_config. They behave exactly like their standard UNIX counterparts, becuase they are their standard UNIX counterparts. Incidentally, this also means they are as secure as their UNIX counterparts.

Beyond the standard installs, most major FS/OSS packages have official OSX ("Darwin") ports. MySQL, for example, has a MySQL port that comes with a OSX-standard clickable installer. You can then interact with it from the command-line like you would on any UNIX platform. Any application that is command-line only will usually compile with little or no trouble. GUIs are a little different, since the the standard OSX GUI system, Aqua and Quartz, is used only by Apple. Fortunately, Apple has created their own offical X11 port, so that X11 apps like OpenOffice.org and Gimp can run with little hassle. Some large packages have gone to the trouble of creating a native OSX port, complete with Aqua GUI - like the various Mozilla derivatives and the NeoOffice/J port of OpenOffice.org. Many often-used command line programs will also have OSX-native GUI wrappers - applications that let you interact with the command-line program through a nice GUI interface. There are several such wrappers available for MySQL, should you not want to plunge into the command line with it. You can find many such programs at VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Finally, there are at least two package-management systems that have been ported to OSX. Both are derivaties of Linux utilities. The dean of the field is Fink, which uses the Debian package-management system (apt-get). There is a GUI wrapper for Fink called FinkCommander. New to the field is a Darwin port of Gentoo's Portage (emerge). Portage doesn't have a GUI wrapper (yet). Either lets you easily download, compile and install a wide variety of pre-tested UNIX packages on your Mac.

Edited to add linkeys
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Hi!

Thx for the info.

Sounds like you there is a look&feel gui with the underlying capabilities of a full featured unix. I like that ;-)

David
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Incoming

Thx for the info.

Sounds like you there is a look&feel gui with the underlying capabilities of a full featured unix. I like that ;-)

Me too. It's what kept me from jumping ship to Linux a few years back. I needed to do more sophisticated things - storage and manipulation of large amounts of genomic data - than OS9 was really capable of. But the combination of OSX and UNIX tools was just awesome. I never need to worry about just keeping the system running, but all that power and flexibility is there to do the things I need to get done. Killer.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Towel, I could kiss you! I've heard about Portage for a long time, but never knew there was a Mac version. Installed it last night, and it automatically updated my copy of wget that I had installed through Fink.

I do wish there were more Mac packages, but that should come with time.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Towel, I could kiss you! I've heard about Portage for a long time, but never knew there was a Mac version. Installed it last night, and it automatically updated my copy of wget that I had installed through Fink.

I do wish there were more Mac packages, but that should come with time.

Cool. You have to let me know how it does. I run Gentoo on my x86 box, and love it, but I've been a little scared to play with the Portage alpha on my iBook.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Well, the install was smooth. Followed the instructions on the website, and it went just fine. It even updated wget during the process, so I was pleased with that. Installed another Mac-ready app, just to test it, and it emerged without any trouble.

But, like I said, there's not a lot of Mac-ready software on it just yet. :/