12" PB, line in not working

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've had my powerbook for about 6 months now. The other day I tried to record something through the line-in jack, next to the line out jack, on the left side of the powerbook.

I was using a normal 1/8" microphone and Sound Studio.

It would pick up sound from the built in mic, but when I'd change the settings to the line in mic, it wouldn't do anything. I know the mic works because I've used it on other computers. I also tested with another microphone and that wouldn't work either.

Do you think that the line in is broken or is there some setting or something else that you have to do to get it to work?

Thanks for reading this. I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I think the trouble here is that the line-in is just that: LINE-IN! i.e not a microphone input.

Line-in works at a much higher level than that which a microphone produces so there won't be enough signal to register. You'd need to run the mic via a pre amp or use an amplified mic.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattfoley

I've had my powerbook for about 6 months now. The other day I tried to record something through the line-in jack, next to the line out jack, on the left side of the powerbook.

I was using a normal 1/8" microphone and Sound Studio.

It would pick up sound from the built in mic, but when I'd change the settings to the line in mic, it wouldn't do anything. I know the mic works because I've used it on other computers. I also tested with another microphone and that wouldn't work either.

Do you think that the line in is broken or is there some setting or something else that you have to do to get it to work?

Thanks for reading this. I would appreciate any help.

when that happened to me it was a bug with panther that an update fixed. make sure you're running the lastest panther build. if that doesnt work, use your apple care and call them.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I think that the mic does work with the line in. I think that is why there is a line in. It's a computer mic, so the device it's plugged into (the computer) should be able to power it and it should register.

I have always kept up-to-date on all the updates, so I guess I'll give apple a call.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattfoley

it should register.

If it's a LINE LEVEL (powered) mic. See jake bullet's post. A non-powered mic won't work.