USB-powered LCD display for iPod Shuffle

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is just an idea that popped into my head the other day, while I was pondering the lack of the display on the Shuffle: a small, low power monochromatic display that plugs into the Shuffle via USB and gives you song titles.

I mean with the uncanny popularity of this new thing, you'd think that third party iPod parasite companies (you know, the ones that have created so many usless iPod "accessories", though not all of them are useless), and even Apple, would be jumping all over this one... Dunno just a thought, maybe it's a profitable idea, but they can have it, as long as they make it high-quality and inexpensive.

does anyone think it's feasible?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    P-O-W-E-R Consumption.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

P-O-W-E-R Consumption.

yeah, that's a good point, but I addressed it in the beginning of my original post. perhaps you'd like to give it anpther read, or perhaps I should elaborate a bit more:

The LCD display would be LOW POWER. I mean look at cell phones, how long do the batteries on those last? Up to 2 or 3 days! and they have all kinds of full-color screens. I was just talking about a modest LCD display that just tells you what is currently being played, since the song file already contains all that info in itself.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    It's a good idea, I envision it being the length of the iPod shuffle, 1 or 2 text lines thick, monochromatic, and fairly cheap. Clips onto the USB port then slides up next to the iPod shuffle body, making the whole unit a little bit wider while attached, but still plenty svelte. The only problem I can think of with that design is that it would only have one point of connection, so the top part of the display would be fairly prone to bending forward and backward. So perhaps there'd have to be a clip system of sorts on the top part of the iPod too. Still, very minimalist and small.

The other design I could see is more difficult to put into words, and I don't have photoshop on the moment so I can't make a mock up, but I think it'd work well also.

As far as power consumption, Ransomed makes a good point regarding cell phones and their thousands of colors super bright displays with days worth of battery. if it was too big a drain on the iPod's battery though(a 1,2 line monochromatic display wouldn't be, but whatever) then the display might have it's own battery? to make up for some of the otherwise unused space that would be otherwise just to flesh out the model?

If I were working for a company that made iPod accessories I would definitely be looking into how to make this possible.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

P-O-W-E-R Consumption.

and dont foget P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

and dont foget P-O-I-N-T-L-E-S-S

Not really, so many people won't buy into the shuffle concept simply because it lacks a screen. You could argue valid points all day, but they still won't get it. Were there to be an option to get a display of some sort, assuming it was cheap small and light enough, then all those naysayers would shut up.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    What about sunglasses/headphone combos that allow for displaying information in the sunglasses -- we can't be that far from this technology (right?).
  • Reply 7 of 11
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Perhaps it could have a discreet solar panel? Calculators run forever.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Not really, so many people won't buy into the shuffle concept simply because it lacks a screen. You could argue valid points all day, but they still won't get it. Were there to be an option to get a display of some sort, assuming it was cheap small and light enough, then all those naysayers would shut up.

apple already has a solution this. its called the ipod mini! if people want a screen, they'll pay more.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The display idea is clever IMO. Power consumption could be addressed by a single AAA battery.

But for once, I'm not gonna say Apple screwed up with the basic design by removing too much features... I think the Shuffle will work pretty well for what it's meant to do.

All I'd want to add on it, is an ability to change "context" some way. When I drive a car, I want to hear certain kind of music. On other times I might want to specifically listen to language course tapes. So there would need to be several playlists / collections of music, not just one. This would need one more button to cycle between them all - not an iPod Mini.

Or does Shuffle somehow have this capability and I have missed it?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    is it even possible?

Does the iPod shuffle transmit the song info over the USB when it's playing? If so, WHY?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spytap

is it even possible?

Does the iPod shuffle transmit the song info over the USB when it's playing? If so, WHY?

Probably not, but the devices firmware is definitely capable of doing so.

Recall that when its plugged into your PC or Mac iTunes can tell you what's on it already.