Chili Peppers, Madonna, Radiohead etc.. How long?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
These artists have famously shunned online music stores (probably because they got burnt by napster etc or because of their greed)

With online music really starting to take off and the iPod on everyones mind I wonder if they might start to reconsider their stance?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

These artists have famously shunned online music stores (probably because they got burnt by napster etc or because of their greed)

With online music really starting to take off and the iPod on everyones mind I wonder if they might start to reconsider their stance?

I'm interested in that too. There is still a ton of stuff that isn't on the Music store yet. Hopefully, in 2005.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I have a feeling that some artists will never get on the online-music bandwagon. For instance, if Madonna doesn't want to do it, no recording industry on the planet can actually force her.
  • Reply 3 of 24
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

I have a feeling that some artists will never get on the online-music bandwagon. For instance, if Madonna doesn't want to do it, no recording industry on the planet can actually force her.

The question is why dont they want to do it?

Madonna was so mad with all the napster kazza music didn't she put fake tracks on there with her tell the user to F off. So she probably does not trust online music, although in reality it's much safer than CD.

Where as Radiohead wanted their songs to only be available as album and did not want to have their songs bought individualy for artistic reasons. I guess they never released singles then
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

uhh the chili peppers have been in itms for a long time.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

Personally, I think Madonna's music is too good as a hole, rather than radiohead who just thinks theirs is.

But the thing with Madonna is she has total control, and if she wants to push all 12 to 15 singles from a CD she can, and all would wind up in the top 5. Even if she didn't there are just some artists that are so talented that their entire CD, and every single is worthy, and will get on the radio no matter what. Not many, but a few. Which in turn is why I've never bought a Madonna CD. (OK, I did buy 1) But, I can hear the whole thing on the radio within a year, and if I had it at home it would never get played because of previous radio overplay. (Unless I bought them a single at a time at the iTunes Music store while they were new, and were still catchy)

Her CD's are going to sell in future generations bigger than they did in her prime just like Led Zeppelin, Elvis, and the Beatles.

~CrystalBallLooker

She may do it though. Her reasons are different than RadioHead. Though no matter what excuse they give. RadioHead believes they will get more royalties from selling all 10 -15 songs together in a single purchase as a CD.

It's funny Madonna is in the conversation because these prima donnas are clueless. Nobody is going to buy a whole CD full of filler in the digital revolution.

Madonna on the other hand could still release singles, get the radio play for every single, and also get iTunes music store sales for every single.

But Radiohead is loosing sales because no-one will buy a CD of filler just to hear one song anymore, but Millions will download a single at a time, and many on impulse that would never ever buy the CD normally. If they like what they've heard they have the option to sample 30 choice seconds of some of their other music from the iTMS, and possibly buy it.

Even if their label, and their regional promotions loose faith in the CD, and drop promotions from poor sales, and some of the songs never get impacted, or promoted as singles to radio stations they will still have better sales than what they are getting now.

Radio head - Pfffft. These guys are thinking with their Radio Asses.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Personally, I think Madonna's music is too good as a hole, rather than radiohead who just thinks theirs is.

Being a radiohead fan, I think that Madonna is only good as a hole.

--B
  • Reply 7 of 24
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

Being a radiohead fan, I think that Madonna is only good as a hole.

--B

I know Radiohead; who's Madonna?
  • Reply 8 of 24
    ybotybot Posts: 329member
    Quote:

Madonna was so mad with all the napster kazza music didn't she put fake tracks on there with her tell the user to F off.

Woah! I never heard about this! When did she do it? With what album?

-Y
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Bring back the Linkin Park and no more partial album.

Not a Linkin Park fan, but its music sells.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

But Radiohead is loosing sales because no-one will buy a CD of filler just to hear one song anymore, but Millions will download a single at a time, and many on impulse that would never ever buy the CD normally. If they like what they've heard they have the option to sample 30 choice seconds of some of their other music from the iTMS, and possibly buy it.

Even if their label, and their regional promotions loose faith in the CD, and drop promotions from poor sales, and some of the songs never get impacted, or promoted as singles to radio stations they will still have better sales than what they are getting now.

well, Radiohead is the wrong band to accuse of losing sales since they've had their own online store for quite awhile and their loyal fans are even bigger artsy snobs than the band!!

gotta give Radiohead some respect here - they're longtime Mac users (ok computer is a command from the speechtext program they used to read lyrics) hell, even Madonna (another mac user - she runs Motu digital performer for all her *ahem* backing tracks during her "live" performances) had enough respect to show up to Radiohead's show in NYC for the ok computer tour (she had the best seat in the house, and guitarist Ed O'brien saw she had a better seat than his mum before the show, so he switched seats...Madonna in the back, and his mum inbetween R.E.M and U2)...
  • Reply 11 of 24
    tadunnetadunne Posts: 175member
    Quote:

so he switched seats...Madonna in the back, and his mum inbetween R.E.M and U2)... [/B]

Maybe Jobs can get U2 to have a word with them?

Chilli Peppers are on iTMS!

I didn't know that.. even on the UK one?
  • Reply 12 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think iTMS does exactly what I found Kazaa and others to do. It lets me look deeper than the established acts and really root out some artists that I won't ever hear on the radio.

I could care less if Madonna or Radiohead or TRHCPs are on iTMS because I already know about them. I love to find those great tracks from that artist you've never heard of and think "wow, there really is a lot of music out there that the general public isn't hearing"
  • Reply 13 of 24
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kenneth

Bring back the Linkin Park and no more partial album.

Not a Linkin Park fan, but its music sells.

I ran the Linkin Park website for a few years. And yes, their music does sell, and well.

I was glad when the LP-JayZ single dropped off the charts though.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDebaser

well, Radiohead is the wrong band to accuse of losing sales since they've had their own online store for quite awhile and their loyal fans are even bigger artsy snobs than the band!!

But how often is radio-heads site frequented compared to iTMS?

If radio head thinks their music is going to reach out to as many new fans as possible from their own web page better than having a new music page at the ITMS with a video single to accompany it. Well then they are still thinking with their radio asses.

I love that radio asses line.

But it should have been: They should pull their radio heads out of their radio asses, and get with the digital revolution!
  • Reply 15 of 24
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    I can't wait until the Music Store carries The Beatles!

• Reply 16 of 24
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

But how often is radio-heads site frequented compared to iTMS?

If radio head thinks their music is going to reach out to as many new fans as possible from their own web page better than having a new music page at the ITMS with a video single to accompany it. Well then they are still thinking with their radio asses.

I love that radio asses line.

But it should have been: They should pull their radio heads out of their radio asses, and get with the digital revolution!

Radiohead believes in the integrity of their albums. That's their prerogative. I don't know why people are calling them greedy because of that. It's like expecting Hemingway to release his novels in serial format just because everyone's doing it.

BTW, radiohead kicks ass.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ybot

Woah! I never heard about this! When did she do it? With what album?

-Y

this happened with her last cd "american life" her label had fake songs placed on file sharing networks where she cursed at the downloader for trying to steal her music. you can read about it below:

http://news.com.com/2100-1025-997856.html
  • Reply 18 of 24
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPoster

I can't wait until the Music Store carries The Beatles!

...That'll be the day...
  • Reply 19 of 24
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Radiohead believes in the integrity of their albums. That's their prerogative. I don't know why people are calling them greedy because of that.

Because if you only want one song, you have to pay for the entire album. That's the classic record-industry scam. To the extent that Radiohead "serialize" their albums by seeking radio and video play for individual songs, they're in on it.

Quote:

It's like expecting Hemingway to release his novels in serial format just because everyone's doing it.

Except that any given excerpt from a novel isn't intended to—and doesn't—stand on its own. Songs do. If they release individual songs to radio or video, they acknowledge that. But if they do that, they should offer the individual songs for purchase. Otherwise, they're doing the old bait-and-switch just because everyone else does.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Because if you only want one song, you have to pay for the entire album. That's the classic record-industry scam. To the extent that Radiohead "serialize" their albums by seeking radio and video play for individual songs, they're in on it.

Except that any given excerpt from a novel isn't intended to—and doesn't—stand on its own. Songs do. If they release individual songs to radio or video, they acknowledge that. But if they do that, they should offer the individual songs for purchase. Otherwise, they're doing the old bait-and-switch just because everyone else does.

Well, believe it or not some bands only want to sell full albums because not only does a lot go into making an album but for the artist an entire album could be their emotions at that state in their life....selling one song here and one song there fractures up their emotions and the integrity of the album. It is not just because "they're in on it." Like a novel, you cannot split it up and just sell each chapter....much like an album to some bands.