22" Cinema Display NOT Compatible with Mac mini

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300652

Any thoughts as to why?? I can understand the 30" not working, but if the 23" is compatible, then why not the 22?

Weird..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    I should also add, it looks like Apple has added some info about the Mac mini to their support databases. No link to the mini from the main page, but you can do some searches.

Now that I've found out it can run OSX server, and headles... I think I'll be ordering mine soon. Want to hear some reviews on it first tho.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300652

Any thoughts as to why?? I can understand the 30" not working, but if the 23" is compatible, then why not the 22?

Weird..

The very first 22" Cinema Displays shipped with a DVI interface, but it wasn't a standard DVi interface at all. In fact, Apple developed their own interface, and then decided to call it DVI ? which isn't confusing at all. The pin outs are entirely different and Apple specific. Only this display, and the Sawtooth machine that was sold along side it had this interface. The more cynical amongst us might suggest that Apple did this to ensure that if you wanted one of these products, you had to buy both. These displays can be identified by the buttons on the underside that have a coloured glow when pressed.

The latter 22" Cinema Displays shipped with an ADC interface, and the Mac mini doesn't have an ADC interface. This means that the Mac mini cannot supply the power to power-up the display. These latter displays can be identified by the buttons on the underside that have a white glow when pressed.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    The current Apple 23" cinema display works fine with the mini.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

The very first 22" Cinema Displays shipped with a DVI interface, but it wasn't a standard DVi interface at all. In fact, Apple developed their own interface, and then decided to call it DVI ? which isn't confusing at all. The pin outs are entirely different and Apple specific. Only this display, and the Sawtooth machine that was sold along side it had this interface. The more cynical amongst us might suggest that Apple did this to ensure that if you wanted one of these products, you had to buy both. These displays can be identified by the buttons on the underside that have a coloured glow when pressed.

The latter 22" Cinema Displays shipped with an ADC interface, and the Mac mini doesn't have an ADC interface. This means that the Mac mini cannot supply the power to power-up the display. These latter displays can be identified by the buttons on the underside that have a white glow when pressed.

As a proud owner of that original 22" Cinema, now running with a G4^3 500 with 1.5MB memory and a G4^3 450 with 1MB paired with the original 15" Cinema I am disappointed to learn that I cannot just immediatley plug in the MM to this machine! That's one sale just lost. I'll keep my PB AL15 running the 23" flat panel display after all....
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I saw LA Computer, online, had the 17" older flat panel cinema display for $499 (M7649ZM/B)

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...&itemsku=10052

But it states that "Requires: Macintosh computer with Apple Display Connector (ADC) interface"

I'm guessing that means it's also incompatible with the mini? I was thinking together, with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse, it would make a nice set-up-

does anyone know for sure that it's incompatible too?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sheilae

I saw LA Computer, online, had the 17" older flat panel cinema display for $499 (M7649ZM/B)

http://www.lacomputercompany.com/cgi...&itemsku=10052

But it states that "Requires: Macintosh computer with Apple Display Connector (ADC) interface"

I'm guessing that means it's also incompatible with the mini? I was thinking together, with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse, it would make a nice set-up-

ADC and DVI -> incompatible. I think an adapter costs around $100 if the display is ADC and computer DVI, $30 if vice versa.

Why bother with an antique Cinema Display when you get much better new displays from any manufacturer? Like.. Dell 2001FP (same as Benq FP2091)? People at arstechnica forums report regularly getting them for $550, or $600 at most, after looking for special offers on specific websites. That's $50 or $100 more for a 20", 16ms LCD.

If I lived in a country where Dell cared about enticing consumers and not just companies, I would have grabbed one long ago.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Gon, I think Sheilae and I are both thinking..."If you already made the investment in style and flat-panels, why not use them." That is what aI did with that initial Cube and the later "remaindered Cube" bought when they discontinued it I had the 15" and then sprang for the then-outrageously expensive, but never-regretted 22" Cinema display. It would be a real pain if I could not use it on the mini. I do have the adapter to run the 22" from my PowerBook when needed, so I may already have invested in this enough!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    The only problem I had with the Cubes and the Cinemas occurred when they went to the HD's and I could not drive them with my video card, the ATY, Rage6. with 32MB of VRAM from ATI.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    Quote:

That's strange, because I'm using one of those DVI-based 22" Cinema Displays right now. I have no problems driving it with my 15" PowerBook (FW 800) or Cube via an ADC-DVI adaptor.

Messiah, can you reference the source that details the 'non-standard' nature of this display's DVI connection?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    They might not have developed their own. You might want to search google a bit to see if that 22" display uses a connector known as "panellink"

I have a panellink lcd, the end connector looks *a lot* like dvi, but it is in fact the predecessor to dvi. So technically, it's dvi, but it's not the one we think of today.

If it is, just search for a panellink to dvi adapter, ~$10-15
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

That's strange, because I'm using one of those DVI-based 22" Cinema Displays right now. I have no problems driving it with my 15" PowerBook (FW 800) or Cube via an ADC-DVI adaptor.

Messiah, can you reference the source that details the 'non-standard' nature of this display's DVI connection?

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you but I haven't been checking for replies. It'll take me a wee while to look out the info. I'll try and look the info out tonight.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    http://homepage.mac.com/cameron.wils...toAlbum10.html

This is the connector I'm talking about. The connector on the back of the Sawtooth appears to be a bastardized DVI-D connector, but Apple have keyed the Cinema Displays connector so that it will not mate with a standard DVD-D connector - it requires the Sawtooths connector.

Shortly afterward, Apple introduced the ADC connector.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Thanks for posting those photos, Messiah. That female connector on the Sawtooth does look very unique.

However, the plug on my 22" Cinema does not include pins/tabs for those two veritcal slots. It looks like an everyday male DVI-D connector.

The mystery still remains: why doesn't this display work with the Mac mini?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks for posting those photos, Messiah. That female connector on the Sawtooth does look very unique.

However, the plug on my 22" Cinema does not include pins/tabs for those two veritcal slots. It looks like an everyday male DVI-D connector.

The mystery still remains: why doesn't this display work with the Mac mini?

Just out of interest, does your CD have the green/yellow lit buttons or the white lit buttons?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Just out of interest, does your CD have the green/yellow lit buttons or the white lit buttons?

Green/yellow.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    From this post (emphasis mine):

Quote:

According to sources, Apple has discovered that a limited number of 22-inch Apple Cinema Displays (with model number M7478LL/A) are not compatible with the Mac mini. If users with this display experience screen tinting and lines when running a screen saver or other visualizer in Full Screen, Apple suggests using an alternative display.

• Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

According to sources, Apple has discovered that a limited number of 22-inch Apple Cinema Displays (with model number M7478LL/A) are not compatible with the Mac mini. If users with this display experience screen tinting and lines when running a screen saver or other visualizer in Full Screen, Apple suggests using an alternative display.

If I just happened to have another Cinema display lying about unused, I might be prepared to....
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

If I just happened to have another Cinema display lying about unused, I might be prepared to....

• Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

Messiah, my 22" has those adorable whitish glowing buttons that I have never figured out since I bought the thing when they were first issued. Besides making my 15" a backup, they turned my first G4^3 into a workhorse on which I have produced books and other works in profusion, and in near

silence.... I was ready to buy the HD, but learned that would not run with the Cube so never quite got around to making the switch from to eithe a ElCapitain or the new G5, with all that substance, but no more screen or better keyboard.

btw, I use that Logitech cordless TrackMan wheel (and the Apple mouse too) because I can sit back and navigate from a distance without rolling it around on anything. Is there a good equivalent currently out there like that.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cubit

Messiah, my 22" has those adorable whitish glowing buttons that I have never figured out since I bought the thing when they were first issued. Besides making my 15" a backup, they turned my first G4^3 into a workhorse on which I have produced books and other works in profusion, and in near

silence.... I was ready to buy the HD, but learned that would not run with the Cube so never quite got around to making the switch from to eithe a ElCapitain or the new G5, with all that substance, but no more screen or better keyboard.

btw, I use that Logitech cordless TrackMan wheel (and the Apple mouse too) because I can sit back and navigate from a distance without rolling it around on anything. Is there a good equivalent currently out there like that.

I must admit, I've recently become a firm believer in the old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I continue to use a 22" at work and I'm still absolutely delighted with it.

You can't beat a nice big widescreen Cinema Display, they do, as you have said, transform a machine.