Tiger Release Date?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm new(ish - 4 months now) to Macs, but am now a full convert and await Tiger eagerly. I was interested in the past releases of Mac OS X, so looked them up on one of these free web encyclopaedias and found the release dates:

Code:

10.0 Cheetah: Saturday 24th March 2001

10.1 Puma: Tuesday 25th September 2001

10.2 Jaguar: Saturday 24th August 2002

10.3 Panther: Friday 24th October 2003

So you can imagine my thought (hopefully). It seems Apple has a preference for releasing on the 24th, maybe the 25th if the day isn't quite so. This leaves us with 12 days it could be released on in the next six months.

There's 25th January, which is a Tuesday. I reckon it's a bit too early to be releasing Tiger, what with the Mac mini the Saturday previous in the US and the following Saturday for us brits. So let's look at the rest of the list:

Thursday 24th February

Friday 25th February

Thursday 24th March

Friday 25th March

Sunday 24th April

Monday 25th April

Tuesday 24th May

Wednesday 25th May

Friday 24th June

Saturday 25th June

Two days stand out and they are Tuesday 24th May and Saturday 25th June. I checked apple.com and can't see any events falling on these dates, but if anyone knows something I don't...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Based upon the lack of a firm release date announcement at MWSF with continued commitment to the 'first half of '05' position, my money is on the 25th of June.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    The more important question is, what will be the name of the operating system after Tiger???????????????? Lion?

Interesting stuff you found.

Eric
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

The more important question is, what will be the name of the operating system after Tiger???????????????? Lion?

pussycat

• Reply 4 of 8
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think that Lynx sounds the coolest, but the thing is, the whole point of Tiger is that there won't be another OS update for a while.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    I think we'll see OS 10.5 in the first half of 2007, and it will be called Leopard.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

I think we'll see OS 10.5 in the first half of 2007, and it will be called Leopard.

... and then they stop with the cats. Next will be ... dinosaurs ! For starters: OS 11 will be called Raptor. Now that 'll bite ya !
  • Reply 7 of 8
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think that Lynx sounds the coolest, but the thing is, the whole point of Tiger is that there won't be another OS update for a while.

Lynx will bring support for plain text command-line browsing to Safari. COMFIRNED!!!

• Reply 8 of 8
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silver

... and then they stop with the cats. Next will be ... dinosaurs ! For starters: OS 11 will be called Raptor. Now that 'll bite ya !

They should go ahead and cancel the tiger name and go with Raptor. That sounds awesome!

Eric