Imac G5 update soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm just about ready to purchase the 20" G5 imac. The only thing...and I mean only thing that is possibly making me wait just "alittle" longer is the chance of an upgrade to its GPU.

I know Tiger will run fine on it. But 64 megs of vram is kinda the old standard...and if I'm going to purchase an all in one mac, I want it to last as long as I can. I understand that core image really is best used with 128 megs vram.

Its been nearly 6 months since the G5 imac was introduced. I was wondering what u all thought about this?

thanks,

regan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I really, really, really doubt there will be an update any time soon...

There are way too many other products that are awaiting update.

Now's a great time to buy the iMac. And you can upgrade the GPU.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    u CAN upgrade the GPU? Really? No foolin?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

I'm just about ready to purchase the 20" G5 imac. The only thing...and I mean only thing that is possibly making me wait just "alittle" longer is the chance of an upgrade to its GPU.

I know Tiger will run fine on it. But 64 megs of vram is kinda the old standard...and if I'm going to purchase an all in one mac, I want it to last as long as I can. I understand that core image really is best used with 128 megs vram.

Its been nearly 6 months since the G5 imac was introduced. I was wondering what u all thought about this?

thanks,

regan

dude, i understand your hesitance with regard to the all-in-one thingy and concern re: GPU. but i think powerbook updates will definitely be announced before we hear a whiff of iMac updates.

i think being 6 months in, i think iMac is considered in 'mid-cycle'.... that is, decent price for something fairly new, with ample time for consumers to be aware of any major defects, if any...

my guess (others feel free to discuss) is price drops a few months away and updates a bit more than that...

was iMac G5 price dropped prior to MacWorld? anyone?

GO BUILD YOUR STUPID MEDIA CENTERS ALREADY !!!

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=50122
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iRobot

And you can upgrade the GPU.

bollocks
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Quote:

u CAN upgrade the GPU? Really? No foolin?

Hold that thought...

It looks like it might not be, I'm trying to confirm...

Update: Well, its not officially user upgradeable.

And it looks like no one's figured out a workaround yet.

I didn't expect that, didn't take 'em too long to figure out the cube.

Sorry chum, my foul.

• Reply 6 of 19
    It might not be an awful idea to wait for the next iMac. I'm sure we'll see one by June.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Quote:

Hold that thought...

Sorry chum, my foul.

no worries iRobot... you gave us all some hope for a joyous albeit brief moment
  • Reply 8 of 19
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    yeah, its a toss up. Besides the GPU & perhaps firewire 800, I don't know what else they'd update on the imac right now.

I don't think I can wait till June. I was thinking if they'd do a minor upgrade on the vram by the end of Feb. But that may be wishful thinking.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    resres Posts: 711member
    very doubtful that they would do anything with the iMac by February.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

yeah, its a toss up. Besides the GPU & perhaps firewire 800, I don't know what else they'd update on the imac right now.

I don't think I can wait till June. I was thinking if they'd do a minor upgrade on the vram by the end of Feb. But that may be wishful thinking.

I am very happy with my Imac 20 inch. I don't think it will be updated soon. Perhaps a minor update later : 2Ghz G5, but not GPU update until Q4.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    I don't know. The modularity of the iMac's components implies to me that Apple may well start upgrading the iMac a bit more frequently than every six months. That said though, the only thing that would be added would probably be a faster G5 and maybe a new GPU.

I would buy one now if you want one now...
  • Reply 12 of 19
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Imac is missing a real videocard to make it a real machine but i wouldnt expect a update for months. apple has moved to a 9 months- 1 year on its updates and thats pathetic compared to the pc world. It needs a modern video system not some cheap $20 garbage that apple is pushing. Next revision single 2.0 and god help apple if its more fx5200 garbage. No reason not to have MODERN video unless apple wants to keep pointing out that those $4oo PC machines uses integrated crap.The cheap video is being used for model seperation meaning apple is using only the lowest slowest cheapist chip it can find to maintain some kind of difference in its models.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I agree. Apple is saying "PC's usually have integrated crap" and we have the (trumpets begin to play) GEFORCE FX5200!

It's the exact opposite! Usually $1000 pc's have a very good GPU and Apple has "so-so" stuff. The ATI 9200 for example is laughable. In stores they generally sell it for $20, nice for office computers.

I hate how Apple markets their stuff. They usually lie about performance statistics. Only when some independent reviewer mails Apple with the real facts and publishes it on a website, Apple -maybe- adjusts their figures.

The GPU is holding me from buying.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Imac is missing a real videocard to make it a real machine but i wouldnt expect a update for months. apple has moved to a 9 months- 1 year on its updates and thats pathetic compared to the pc world. It needs a modern video system not some cheap $20 garbage that apple is pushing. Next revision single 2.0 and god help apple if its more fx5200 garbage. No reason not to have MODERN video unless apple wants to keep pointing out that those $4oo PC machines uses integrated crap.The cheap video is being used for model seperation meaning apple is using only the lowest slowest cheapist chip it can find to maintain some kind of difference in its models.

whoa... not getting good UT2004 framerates? 1024x768? can ya post some benchmarks please? because other than for games, why would you complain about the g.p.u.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

I agree. Apple is saying "PC's usually have integrated crap" and we have the (trumpets begin to play) GEFORCE FX5200!

It's the exact opposite! Usually $1000 pc's have a very good GPU and Apple has "so-so" stuff. The ATI 9200 for example is laughable. In stores they generally sell it for $20, nice for office computers.

I hate how Apple markets their stuff. They usually lie about performance statistics. Only when some independent reviewer mails Apple with the real facts and publishes it on a website, Apple -maybe- adjusts their figures.

but other than for games why you complain about GPU?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

Hold that thought...

Sorry chum, my foul.

The cube had a standard AGP slot, where you could swap the card in it.

The iMac has the chip soldered on the motherboard!

Not so strange they figured out the cube so fast, since it was supposed to do this..
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

but other than for games why you complain about GPU?

It doesnt use the OS 100% since the GPU isnt capable of it.

Rediciously.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple locks their systems down tighter than most PC's, so so long as the video cards can deliver enough performance for the APIs/Core technologies, it's really not the most important feature. If games were built with the mac inmind to begin with (rare, I know) it really wouldn't be an issue. Game consoles do more with less, and Apple's consumer machines are the most console like you're likely to find in the industry.

Far more pressing issues in terms of user experience would be for Apple to spec base DVD Superdrives in more machines, MINIMUM 512MB base RAM, and larger standard HDDs. Those are things that really matter, and really add value -- so your machine doesn't get sluggish when you open a couple of Apps, and you're not running out in search of external storage after only a few months of use, etc etc... These kinds of bumps would allow for the iMac to far better stand up to its role as the iLife machine/digital hub. Apple will give it as much GPU power as it needs, not more, that's OK -- it would be nice to see some machines using PCI-E based graphics solutions (given Tiger) I imagine we'll see that when the first PCI-e integrated chipsets are available... maybe in time for the PB G5...
  • Reply 19 of 19
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dacloo

I dont blame you it did the same for me. Apple should least have a modern video say 6200 or 6600 at least but a videocard slot would be better.fx5200= cheap.cheap,cheap. apple = expensive go figure.