First-ever Mac for a Switcher...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Macintouch has reports nearly every day about people having problems with iMac noise.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Oh dear, does it? I'll have to check that out. I'd be pissed if I sprang the extra money for an iMac and got a noisy one. If it was noisy, would I get a replacement under warrant or would Apple claim it wasn't a fault?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RSteve

Regarding the comment about the Apple mouse, Mr. H, I think it looks nice but I agree it doesn't seem the best to use. I was thinking about getting the Apple keyboard/mouse combo though because obviously the keyboard is mapped specifically for the Mac with the Apple key etc. but if there's a 3rd-party keyboard that is better I'd consider it.

I also kind of assumed it wouldn't be worth getting a two-button mouse because although I'm used to two-button as a Windows user, I assumed OSX would be designed around a one-button system, rendering the second button unnecessary, is this not so? I do like my Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer because it has two extra buttons either side which I have got used to using as "back" and "forward" in my web browser, and it's a USB mouse so I guess I could use it - it's white and grey wouldn't look too out of place, though I suppose the Microsoft logo might! I would also miss a scroll wheel but again I kind of assumed OSX wouldn't be set up to support anything other than a one-button Apple mouse.

Well, RSteve, that's the strange thing. OS X has full native (no extra drivers needed) support for two button mice and scroll wheels, despite Apple only shipping a one-button mouse. If you want to use more than two buttons, your mouse will have to have specific OS X drivers available. If your mouse has more than two buttons but no drivers, the extra buttons will be redundant.

On the keyboard front - yes, definitely get a keyboard specifically designed for an Apple system. Apple's is fine and with the recent price cut not too expensive either. The keyboards that Electric Monk suggested look good too but even in America they look pretty pricey so I dread to think what they must cost in the UK!

Quote:

I do wonder about waiting under the new OSX is released - is it called Tiger? But I really wanted it ASAP as I'm moving into my new place any day now and could really miss having a computer. Is it worth waiting?

If you can cope with waiting, then do. However, I'm not expecting to see Tiger until the WWDC in June.

Yet another thing for you to consider that people haven't mentioned yet is this: Macs hold their value pretty well. I reckon that if you bought a Mac mini now, you could expect to sell it in three year's time for around 50% of the price you'll pay now. Screens, keyboards and mice tend to last much longer than the computer itself, so if you go with the Mac mini, when you get the upgrade itch, you can keep your monitor, keyboard and mouse, sell your Mac mini and buy the latest version. I reckon that the "upgrade cost" (the difference between what you'd sell your old Mac mini for and the cost of a new one) would be little more than the cost of upgrading the RAM and HD in an iMac, but you'd get faster/bigger everything: CPU, GPU, HD, RAM etc...
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Re noise/any other flaws: if the worst comes to the worst you can always return the item for a full refund. European incl. UK customer protection laws are your friend. (Indeed, it has occured to me that the reason I have never seen a dead TFT pixel, etc., in the UK is because the poorer products are shipped to the US instead.)

If you're really concerned then buy from a local retailer and open the box in the shop to check there and then. That said I've always ordered directly from Apple as I've have always been satisfied with service.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I am absolutely in love with my MS Natural keyboard. I hate typing on the flat ones.

These won't work with OSX properly? I just assumed the windows key would function as the apple key.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by SkimKlaw

I am absolutely in love with my MS Natural keyboard. I hate typing on the flat ones.

These won't work with OSX properly? I just assumed the windows key would function as the apple key.

That's what I would assume, but I don't know for sure. Anyone out there have experience with this?

It's not just the Apple key though, there's the Option key and the fact that PC keyboard layouts are different; the @ and " symbols are transposed, for example. Presumably you can get a keyboard layout for OS X so that using a PC-layout keyboard is less jarring?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I guess we need to know where the person is posting from.

The US Mac and PC keyboards are identical except for the label on one key (command or windows button).

I'm assuming it will work with non US keyboards even though the pictures on the keys are different.

EDIT: Woops, i forgot that about the backspace/delete and enter/return labeling difference between US PC and Mac keyboards. Still, just a difference in the picture printed on the plastic button.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

I guess we need to know where the person is posting from.

I've been assuming, since he mentioned British pounds in the first post, that RSteve is from somewhere in the U.K.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Can confirm from the UK.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Some other Mac sites seem to be implying that the PowerBooks and eMacs are due to be updated any day now, mainly due to the PowerBooks saying they'll take a long time to deliver even for standards specs at the AppleStore, and some French Mac website saying that the eMac is "EOL".

But the eMac is still 24-hour shipping for standard spec at AppleStore UK and AppleStore USA has it as same business day.

So if long delivery estimates are a time of a soon-to-be replaced or updated product, does this mean the eMac isn't due to be updated or even discontinued completely yet?
  • Reply 31 of 32
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Some other Mac sites seem to be implying that the PowerBooks and eMacs are due to be updated any day now, mainly due to the PowerBooks saying they'll take a long time to deliver even for standards specs at the AppleStore, and some French Mac website saying that the eMac is "EOL".

But the eMac is still 24-hour shipping for standard spec at AppleStore UK and AppleStore USA has it as same business day.

Only the SuperDrive eMac (i.e., the top of the line model) is reportedly EOL.

Quote:

So if long delivery estimates are a time of a soon-to-be replaced or updated product, does this mean the eMac isn't due to be updated or even discontinued completely yet?

Any product that's shipping in 1-2 business days is almost certainly still in production, yes.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:

Oh dear, does it? I'll have to check that out. I'd be pissed if I sprang the extra money for an iMac and got a noisy one. If it was noisy, would I get a replacement under warrant or would Apple claim it wasn't a fault?

Even when the fans are on, they're not THAT loud, just louder than advertised - it's nothing compared to an old G4 or a PC - probably less than an eMac. FWIW, the couple of iMacs we have at work have all been whisper quiet, no noise at all. I'd definitely recommend one if you can stretch to it over the mini - not that the mini isn't a great machine, but the iMac is superb. Also, whilst the apple mouse is not great if you're used to 2 buttons, the apple keyboard is really nice, so if you were to go for the mini, I'd recommend just ordering an apple keyboard - it's£19.99 i think, rather than paying the full £39 for mouse and keyboard - you'll almost certainly not use the mouse if you have an intellimouse on hand