Non-Apple displays with apple computers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
first post in a while so don't be too mad if this is very confusing.

I'm thinking about getting a mini(mac mini..not iPod) and mostly because of how sleek and inexpensive it is. when i buy it, keeping in the inexpensive ways is there any way i can buy a Dell or Gateway LCD display to go with it, or even just use a display i have here already(non-LCD).

thanks PS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    daveleedavelee Posts: 245member
    As long as the disply has either DVI or VGA connections, you will be fine.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
  • Reply 3 of 16
    I'm going to add that I just got Two Benq 20" widescreen LCDs and I'm VERY happy with them. they have every input under the sun PLUS they have three usb ports.

flick.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Not confusing at all. A major point of making the Mac mini is so that you can use a display you already own. What you have should work just fine with the mini.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    are you sure you can use anything...

that don't look like any connector i havehttp://www.apple.com/macmini/gallery/

is there any adapter that goes from 15pin to VGA/DVI
  • Reply 6 of 16
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I think there is a vga type connector in the box.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MajorMatt

I think there is a vga type connector in the box.

i'm sorry...what box.... the mini's box?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    There's a DVI port on the Mini, and a DVI->VGA adaptor is included for free. So you can use either a VGA or DVI monitor out-of-the-box. That's essentially any monitor sold these days.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

There's a DVI port on the Mini, and a DVI->VGA adaptor is included for free. So you can use either a VGA or DVI monitor out-of-the-box. That's essentially any monitor sold these days.

...but there is not a PIN>DVI or PIN>VGA adapter???

i don't want to buy another monitor, because the monitor doesn't mean that much to me, i just want something that will allow me to use a mini mac.

Persistence

PS
  • Reply 10 of 16
  • Reply 11 of 16
    adamradamr Posts: 72member
    That looks like a standard VGA connector to me. That will work with the included DVI to VGA adapter.

I am not sure how much you know about these things, but apple DVI connectors are what are called DVI-I (i.e. DVI-Integrated) as opposed to DVI-D (Digital only). That means that it carries a normal analogue (VGA) signal as well as a digital (DVI) signal. The connector on the mini case is a DVI plug. A little box-like adapter extracts the analogue signal from the DVI-I and converts it to the VGA connector.

Basically, the mini will connect to 99.99% of all monitors sold in the last 7-8 years (my estimate, maybe longer). If your monitor works with a PC, it will work with this.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Just interesting to observe this whole Q&A about monitor plugs. Reminds me why Apple held onto the AIO concept for the consumer space for so long.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Tim -

The Mac Mini has a DVI port on the back. DVI ports are usually used with flat panel displays, on the PC side too. If you buy a PC display with a DVI connection, it will work perfectly with the DVI port on the Mac Mini. If you buy a flat panel that has a VGA connection, you can use the DVI>VGA adapter that comes in the Mini's box. By box, I meant this cute thing: Mac Mini box. You know, the box the computer actually comes in. The DVI port on the Mac Mini, and the adapter included in the box, will cover practically every display you'd want to connect to the Mini. Here's what the adapter looks like:

I hope that explains everything.

Cheers.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Tim -

The Mac Mini has a DVI port on the back. DVI ports are usually used with flat panel displays, on the PC side too. If you buy a PC display with a DVI connection, it will work perfectly with the DVI port on the Mac Mini. If you buy a flat panel that has a VGA connection, you can use the DVI>VGA adapter that comes in the Mini's box. By box, I meant this cute thing: Mac Mini box. You know, the box the computer actually comes in. The DVI port on the Mac Mini, and the adapter included in the box, will cover practically every display you'd want to connect to the Mini. Here's what the adapter looks like:

I hope that explains everything.

Cheers.

Noah -

i don't think you understand... i don't want to buy a new display!!! i want to find a PIN>DVI or PIN>VGA adaptor that will allow me to use a display i already own.

PS
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

Noah -

i don't think you understand... i don't want to buy a new display!!! i want to find a PIN>DVI or PIN>VGA adaptor that will allow me to use a display i already own.

PS

if i have something that fits into this:

will it work as VGA?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    That is VGA. Yes, it will work with Apple's little adapter.