Update: Xserve And RAID To Use S3200 FireWire

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
[quote]Mac Whispers

January 29, 2003

Update: Xserve And RAID To Use S3200

FireWire Additional investigation today has confirmed that the next Xserve update as well as the much anticipated Xserve RAID disk array will not use Fibre Channel, but will use the first commercially released implementation of the fastest 1394b variant, "S3200."

The shift in product architecture has been enabled by Apple's April 2002 acquisition Zayante, Inc., a leading edge developer of silicon solutions for FireWire. The two server products will use Zayante's TNF Silicon 1394b PHY Digital Core technologies to enable optical FireWire interconnections between the Xserve, the Xserve RAID, and any other 1394b compatible devices, giving data throughput of 3.2Gb/second.

It appears that the silicon components have been completed for approximately 3-months, which leads us to expect both the new Xserve and the Xserve RAID announcements in the very near future, perhaps within 30-days.<hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers/0000018.html"; target="_blank">Mac Whispers</a>

Well it seems to now be confirmed But if all truth to this rumor then great, I cannot wait.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 8
    I hope that they don't use firewire. What company offers firewire-native drives? They are all ATA drives with firewire bridge.

For a SAN, that might be okay, but for a one-computer RAID, Fibre Channel SCSI (or even Serial ATA) would be a much better choice than an yet-untested version of Firewire. I sure as hell wouldn't use that on a production machine.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong><a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002970"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002970</a></strong><hr></blockquote>;

The reason I did not post it there is because it is bogged down with non sense (very off topic). And this would just be ignored.

I think the only thing this will be used for is to connect the Xserve to the Xserve RAID, not the internal drives to the mother board.

When the Xserve first came out I was thinking "now why on earth would they put a single FireWire port in the front?" Well this explains why...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jared:

<strong>

When the Xserve first came out I was thinking "now why on earth would they put a single FireWire port in the front?" Well this explains why...</strong><hr></blockquote>

So you're going to connect a RAID to a FireWire 400 port?

The FW on the front is for booting the machine from an external harddisk if something goes wrong with the harddrive modules.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Gizzmonic:

<strong>but for a one-computer RAID, Fibre Channel SCSI (or even Serial ATA) would be a much better choice than an yet-untested version of Firewire. I sure as hell wouldn't use that on a production machine.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The Xserve RAID will have 7 dual channel ATA controllers.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

So you're going to connect a RAID to a FireWire 400 port?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I was thinking more along the lines that this new Xserve rev will have a S3200 port on the front...but I guess not...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Jared:

<strong>

No, I was thinking more along the lines that this new Xserve rev will have a S3200 port on the front...but I guess not...</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't connect the RAID on the front - what would be the purpose?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I was under the impression that the FW link would simply link up multiple units. By replacing Fiber Channel with FW Apple is potentially limiting the Xraid's connectivity to non Apple systems but perhaps that's not such a big deal.