Could M$ announce a PowerPC based computer before then end of the year?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    Mircosofts corporate mentality is to do everything it can through software.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Mircosofts corporate mentality is to do everything it can through software.

well, in the last 1 year or so they've directly got $0 from me. since dos days, until finally now, i never thought you could live a microsoft-free life

edit:... well ok ok i bought age of empires... that was msofty stuff but i didn't like that game... C&C generals for me..!
  • Reply 23 of 23
    If M$ launches the xbox2 in Nov 05 then I would suspect M$ would unveil their new powerpc-based media-computer @ CES in January 06.

2006 is also the year of the deadline for cable companies to allow card-based decoder boxes to work with their services.

The industries are also fighting over a July 1, 2006, deadline set by the Federal Communications Commission that could require cable companies to stop leasing set-top boxes as the sole means to access cable TV. The rule is part of the 1996 Telecommunications Act, which sought to open the market for devices with which cable customers can tap into their cable companies.

Opening up the market to more players will lower prices and help spur innovation. Other companies, notably Sony Corp. (SNE) has tried to break into the set-top box market but without much success. The FCC has said it will reconsider the July 2006 deadline early this year.

Despite the possible cost benefits, cable companies are pushing for an extension of that rule, saying enforcing the deadline would, among other things, hurt consumers and impede technological progress.

Not surprisingly, consumer electronics companies say the deadline should stay. Cable companies already received an extension when the original deadline was pushed from January 2005 and "there is simply no tangible case for any further delay," the CEA said in a filing with the FCC.

-By Ellen Sheng, Dow Jones Newswires; 201-938-5863; [email protected]