Apple to reward employees with free iPod shuffles

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer in the coming weeks will begin offering complimentary iPod shuffles to many of its employees, AppleInsider has learned.

Apple is handing out free iPod shuffles to many of its retail employees. Sources says that the freebies may be an incentive to increase the work ethic amongst Apple sales reps, or maybe even a 'thank you' for recent prosperity. In the past, Apple has offered promotional items to retail staff of stores that meet weekly or monthly sales targets. Apple's retail employees, however, do not work on commission.

Several Apple employees at the company's retail stores have been told to expect a free 1GB iPod shuffle sometime in the next three weeks. So far, AppleInsider has confirmed that certain stores in New York, California, and Missouri are awaiting arrival of the complimentary players. Sources tell AppleInsider that such a gesture will likely extend to all retail stores and may even include some groups within Apple's corporate structure--although this has not yet been confirmed.

Workers at Apple's flagship SoHo store in New York City will be given a free iPod shuffle, according to one source. Additionally, the store is expected to begin selling versions of the new flash-based player this evening.

But over in Cupertino, some employees AppleInsider spoke with had only heard about the freebies through word of mouth and were not necessarily expecting one themselves. Time will tell.

According to sources, Apple retail stores that meet weekly quotes often hold weekly raffles, where lucky employees can walk away with cool gadgets such as the iPod photo.

Apple announced the iPod shuffle just over a week ago. To date the player has been met with favorable reviews from both the main stream media and Wall Street analysts, and is already in tight supply with Apple's online store quoting backlog of up to 4 weeks.

Update: According to multiple sources, all Apple employees will be receiving a 1GB iPod shuffle by the end of the month, not just those affiliated with Apple Retail. Sources say Apple chief executive Steve Jobs announced the gesture during a company meeting last Thursday, the day following Apple's blockbuster earnings report.

"Seeing as last year we all received additional vacation time, an iPod shuffle is a small investment for a company to reward its employees for the best quarter in our history," one employee told AppleInsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Sounds good. Although you could consider this as costing Apple nothing when compared to the salaries being made, it is always nice to get a freebie, especially when it is more than a simple desk ornament, that simply serves as static advertising. With this freebie you don't feel like you are just getting the what's left of the marketing department's budget

One thing that hit me is that when you compare the price of the iPod shuffle to USB memory sticks, it is great value for money. Heck I might just get the iPod as my next USB memory stick. I can store data and music and have it all for the go. Sure it has no LCD, but for the price you can't really complain.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    They went for the full 1 GB model too
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Top Ten Reasons Apple Management Is Giving Out Free Employee Shuffles

10. Reducing supply for paying customers gets them all hot and bothered

• Reply 4 of 23
    9. Cupertino is embarrased that Apple employees are carrying Creative flash mp3 players at work...
  • Reply 5 of 23
    A pat on the back for Apple. Too many companies these days don't rate very high on how they treat their staff - it's good to see Apple does.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    8. Easier to indoctrinate workers with Philip W. Schiller Podcasts
  • Reply 7 of 23
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    7. They ran out of gum in the vending machines
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    6. Accessorized with Rumor Website Informant audio alarm
  • Reply 9 of 23
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    5. To many employees who actually bought a shuffle have already washed their work pants with it in the pocket.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    5. Artificially boosts volume for initial iShuffle sales.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

5. Artificially boosts volume for initial iShuffle sales.

5 is 4

and life is random
  • Reply 12 of 23
    As someone who used to work for Apple Corporate and Apple Retail, I can say that this *may* have strings attached. Remember when all the employees got iPods? Well, the strings attached to that was that you had to work at Apple for 2 years after they gave it to you before it was actually yours.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Shuffle has similar strings.

I've found that both Apple Corporate and Apple Retail's salaries are well below the industry standard and they rely on little "gifts" to keep employees happy. They also rely on the fact that most employees are the traditional Apple crowd and find it an honor to work for Apple even though the pay and benefits pale in comparisson to what the rest of the industry offers... especially the benefits. They're terrible.

Case in point, when I left Apple Retail as a Mac Genius, the next job I got was doing less work with a $15,000/year pay hike and the environment was MUCH less stressful.

From an employee's point of view, Apple's not all it's cracked up to be.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Quote:

7. They ran out of gum in the vending machine

How sweet would that be if they had a vending machine with gum in it but they took out the packs of gum and put in iPod shuffle's...

I wish my company gave out iPod shuffle's to all of it's employees =).
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

Apple Computer in the coming weeks will begin offering complimentary iPod shuffles to many of its employees, AppleInsider has learned.

Only full-time, non-seasonal employees receive a Shuffle, from what I have heard.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

Originally posted by verucabong

As someone who used to work for Apple Corporate and Apple Retail, I can say that this *may* have strings attached. Remember when all the employees got iPods? Well, the strings attached to that was that you had to work at Apple for 2 years after they gave it to you before it was actually yours.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Shuffle has similar strings.

I've found that both Apple Corporate and Apple Retail's salaries are well below the industry standard and they rely on little "gifts" to keep employees happy. They also rely on the fact that most employees are the traditional Apple crowd and find it an honor to work for Apple even though the pay and benefits pale in comparisson to what the rest of the industry offers... especially the benefits. They're terrible.

Case in point, when I left Apple Retail as a Mac Genius, the next job I got was doing less work with a $15,000/year pay hike and the environment was MUCH less stressful.

From an employee's point of view, Apple's not all it's cracked up to be.

You worked in retail - that's usually quite stressful. I've worked at Apple and know quite a few people that do. With the exception of the fact that Apple expects people to work long hours sometimes to meet their goals, their benefits are top notch and the work environment is very good. TYPICALLY. Of course its not always so. Not 24x7x365. But typically. I no longer work there and haven't for years, but friends of mine still do. I need to add - that's engineering, support, marketing, etc... - that's what I'm referring to.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    3. Giving employees an iPod with a screen would only confuse them.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akac

You worked in retail - that's usually quite stressful. I've worked at Apple and know quite a few people that do. With the exception of the fact that Apple expects people to work long hours sometimes to meet their goals, their benefits are top notch and the work environment is very good. TYPICALLY. Of course its not always so. Not 24x7x365. But typically. I no longer work there and haven't for years, but friends of mine still do. I need to add - that's engineering, support, marketing, etc... - that's what I'm referring to.

If you notice, I said I had worked in both corporate and retail... but anyway. The thing that particularly annoyed me about Apple's benefits was that for a national retail chain, their benefits treated people like they all lived in Silicon Valley. United HealthCare was their *only* medical coverage available for retail employees outside of California. Unfortunately, where I am, United HealthCare is accepted hardly anywhere. We had to change literally *all* of our doctors. UHC subcontracted their behavioral medicine out to Integrated Behavioral Health, yet another west-coast based company that was an abismal excuse for healthcare coverage.

But, I digress...

Until Apple treats their national workforce like a national workforce, (i.e. having more than one type of healthcare coverage that is accepted across the country) they're a second class employer as far as I'm concerned.

The company I'm at now offers Blue Cross Blue Shield, Harvard Pilgrim and others. I don't mind paying good money for healthcare coverage (i.e. BCBS) but when the coverage is crap, it's money down the drain. Get a clue Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Well it is not like the old days of Apple when $5000 & $10,000 checks would show up on people's desk chairs after a successful launch of a new product. Or better yet the entire team would get the new computer as thank you for all the hard work. The computer give away stop when the Fed Gov considered it a taxable benefit. People hated getting a $3K to $5K suggested retail system and find out they owed taxes on it.

The string attached policy usually only applies to the free system purchase Apple has always offer to its employees. You could buy a new system once every so many years for free or a deep discount. As part of getting the system free you agree to continue working there. It is fair and reasonable. Most companies have similar policies for perks above and beyond the normal ones.

As for this give away I doubt they will have the same strings since it appears to be a thanks you to all the employees.

I too agree Apple has always treated its employees well especial when they had the resources to do so. Plus I never heard them paying sub-par due to the fact they throw in perks like new systems. What I heard is people who did not negotiate well and were willing to except less to get the job. Boy I heard of people who were so excited to work for Apple they undercut themselves.

I worked there many years in Engineering as an Engineer and I was paid more than my friends at other companies plus all the freebies. Last year I consider going back and was looking at a position paying 6 figures and considering the cost of living in the Valley it was a fair pay.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    2. Apple India employees included after cancellation of the Virginia Tech Shuffle Cluster.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    And the number one reason that Apple management is giving out Free Employee Shuffles...

1. They put their weed in there.