I photo5

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is iphoto 5 a significant improvement over 4?

I'm sort of annoyed at laying out $80 every year if there isn't a significant improvement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammick

I'm sort of annoyed at laying out $80 every year if there isn't a significant improvement.

Hell yes it is. The RAW support alone may save your keister some day. The ability to now pull up your albums by calendar date and MUCH better editing functions make this a damn near no brainer...well maybe half brainier or damaged full brain :P
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Maybe Apple should offer upgrades for about $30 ($29.99).
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

true, but you have to admit it is worth it. if you could find windows apps of the same abilities and quality, you'd be paying a lot more.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    IMO this one really seems worth it, but I do think that you have to sort of budget for these things in a way. While you couldn't have foreseen $80 in stead of fifty, just realize that Apple's going to bring out a new version each year, and with any luck they will introduce compelling reasons to upgrade each time. Ask yourself if there are features you're really going to take advantage of, or whether you can wait another 12 months and see what comes next as well.

As far as upgrades, since every Mac comes with some version of iLife, the retail boxes are the upgrades and $80 is the upgrade unless you bought a Mac or iLife after this version was announced. I'd prefer it if Apple provided more amnesty for those who buy new Macs or the previous version of iLife a couple weeks before the announcement of a new version, but for the rest of us, the upgrade is quite fair IMO. I'm actually holding off on iLife '05 until I get my new Mac later this year when Tiger is pre-installed as well, and I will probably skip '06 just for budget reasons.