Macromedia Suite

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have been using the Macromedia suite on a PC for a number of years and am planning on upgrading from version 4 to MX within the next few weeks.

Seeing I am also getting a Mac within the next few weeks I thought id get the Macromedia Suite for this.

Does anyone know if there is a Mac only version for this? It seems to me that they only sell one copy so im not sure if it will work on both a PC and a Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    They have an online store where you can buy for PC or for Mac, its up to you.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    You should be warned, unfortunately, that Macromedia Suite MX 04 is inferior on the Mac. Slow and buggy.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    It was, at first, but they have since patched it and I havent had any problems.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Yeah, I second that.

The full suite is available on the Mac and the newest versions are sweet.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Really? Do the latest patches just make the application actually usable, or put it on par with the PC version?

I'd find the first more likely than the second, but I'd be happy to hear the latter.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Really? Do the latest patches just make the application actually usable, or put it on par with the PC version?

I'd find the first more likely than the second, but I'd be happy to hear the latter.

Yes, there is a patch but unfortunately it didn?t change much. It?s still slow and buggy as hell. It's usable but you'll shoot someone the firsttime you get the FTP hang from hell I use Eclipse and Zend now for my HTML, JavaScript and PHP needs. I think what pisses me off the most about Dreamwaever is Macromedias attitude on admitting that there is a problem.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Well, that sounds a lot closer to the truth. Last time I used DW MX '04 it was so awful I can't imagine just a few patches fixing all the problems.

I suppose everyone's MMV, depending on usage, but be warned.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I use Dreamweaver MX 2004 on a daily basis and its not bad at all, much better than MX was...
  • Reply 9 of 10
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

Well, that sounds a lot closer to the truth. Last time I used DW MX '04 it was so awful I can't imagine just a few patches fixing all the problems.

I suppose everyone's MMV, depending on usage, but be warned.

Yea, it really does matter on what you are going to use it for, HTML templates and CSS creation won?t kill it. But once you start using some of the more advised features like connecting to MySQL or using secure FTP connections with a test server the program really show?s it?s flaws. Maybe it?s just me but I find it odd and inexcusable that the windows version performs better in a VPC environment then on OSX.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Yea, it really does matter on what you are going to use it for, HTML templates and CSS creation won?t kill it. But once you start using some of the more advised features like connecting to MySQL or using secure FTP connections with a test server the program really show?s it?s flaws. Maybe it?s just me but I find it odd and inexcusable that the windows version performs better in a VPC environment then on OSX.

I've never really used secure FTP, but I use the PHP and mySQL integration a lot and while it is a bit flaky it does do it's job and I never really have any troubles with it.