iTunes File Sizes

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello, I have a 40Gb iPod which I use iTunes to organize. When I open iTunes, the bottom of the window reads:

2035 songs, 7.2 days, 10.14 GB

I take this to mean that my music collection totals up to roughly 10.14 GB. My question is this:

If my collection totals up to 10.14 GB, why, when I connect my iPod, does my collection seem to double in size? Because instead of reading as "10.14 GB Used" on my iPod, iTunes says 23.13 GB used and 14.02 GB free.

Only thing that I can think of is that a small portion of my music was put into iTunes from a DVD backup that I have... but I don't think that should have had any affect on the sizes at all as far as I can speculate... and I know that a few GB are reserved from the entire 40 GB to run the iPod itself [menu's and other things that make it work] but I highly doubt that it needs a whole 10 GB! please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Isildur909

Hello, I have a 40Gb iPod which I use iTunes to organize. When I open iTunes, the bottom of the window reads:

2035 songs, 7.2 days, 10.14 GB

I take this to mean that my music collection totals up to roughly 10.14 GB. My question is this:

If my collection totals up to 10.14 GB, why, when I connect my iPod, does my collection seem to double in size? Because instead of reading as "10.14 GB Used" on my iPod, iTunes says 23.13 GB used and 14.02 GB free.

Only thing that I can think of is that a small portion of my music was put into iTunes from a DVD backup that I have... but I don't think that should have had any affect on the sizes at all as far as I can speculate... and I know that a few GB are reserved from the entire 40 GB to run the iPod itself [menu's and other things that make it work] but I highly doubt that it needs a whole 10 GB! please help!

There's probably something on your iPod disk. If not erasing and starting again is pretty easy, not too time consuming either. Make sure iPod is up-to-date and then use the iPod updater to erase the iPod.

You should probably question this is Genius Bar by the way!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    As has been suggested above, use your iPod updater to update your iPod and then Restore its factory settings.

Reload your music library. Shouldn't be much of a problem over USB 2.0.

good luck,
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Thanks both for your help! I used the latest updater to clear it all and restore it to factory settings [tho for some reason my capacity total went from 38 GB to 37 GB, but I mean I think if I ever need to clear it again that should be fixed] and then I uploaded all my music again.. and Ta-Da! I now have nearly 30 GB available instead of 14!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Isildur909

Thanks both for your help! I used the latest updater to clear it all and restore it to factory settings [tho for some reason my capacity total went from 38 GB to 37 GB, but I mean I think if I ever need to clear it again that should be fixed] and then I uploaded all my music again.. and Ta-Da! I now have nearly 30 GB available instead of 14!

Glad to hear it. Enjoy.