About to buy a G5 imac. But update soon?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey all,

I'm about to buy a 20" imac G5 to use for web design/flash animation. But hesitated because they aren't shipping with iLife 05 pre-installed yet.

I'm also wondering while I wait, if and when you think the imac G5s will get a minor update? I love everything about the imac G5, but was hoping for a slightly improved GPU and possibly firewire 800.

Its been 6 months since they were released. Whats the average update cycle on the imac? This will be my first.

thanks,

regan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by regan

Its been 6 months since they were released. Whats the average update cycle on the imac? This will be my first.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
  • Reply 2 of 50
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Thanks for the link. I am so ready to buy. But it'd be nice to get it right at the update.

Either way, I am going to wait until ilife 05 comes pre-loaded. The apple site says ilife 04 comes bundles currently with the imac. As it is, I will have to shell out for Tiger when it comes out, I don't want to have to shell out for ilife 05 as well.

and so again...I wait.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    During ordering my (first ever Mac) new imac, Apple store uk confirmed that iLife 05 came bundled standard with the imac since some date in January . I stressed this, as the website still shows iLife 04, but was assured I would be getting 05.

Although not installed, a boxed copy of iLife should be good enough for me. I presume software aint too difficult to install on em - I did say I was new to this world
  • Reply 4 of 50
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Speaking of the G5, I don't expect nothing more than a small speedbump : 200 mhz.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Personally I wouldn't wait for just a speed bump. I think 1.8ghtz is fine for my needs. I mean I'm not holding out for 2ghtz.

If anything would make me wait...it would be the possibility of a better graphics card with 128 megs vram. That to me would be a much better "future-proofing" than a bump in speed. IMHO.

Also the addition of firewire 800 would be nice.

Other than that....nothing else would make me want to wait. And I still might not wait. I kinda need a home computer now.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Apple Refurb 1.8GHz 20" iMac $1699
  • Reply 7 of 50
    this computer is excellent

except one thing: its GPU really sucks

i hope the future update would include a better graphic card

because this one is the of cheapest

apple could have done better !
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by GoatifiedCreature

During ordering my (first ever Mac) new imac, Apple store uk confirmed that iLife 05 came bundled standard with the imac since some date in January . I stressed this, as the website still shows iLife 04, but was assured I would be getting 05.

That's not the case for those of us in the U.S. I have talked to Apple twice about this, since MWSF on the 11th, and both times have been told that I would have to participate in the Up-to-Date program ($20) in order to get iLife '05. While I think that's cheap, and that they should just through in the box of software, I am not going to quibble over a few bucks when I'm forking out over $2000 for the computer itself. Of course, I didn't tell Apple this, as again, when asked if I wanted to purchase today, I told them that I found it foolish to fork out more money for something that will be included gratis in a matter of days/weeks.

Come Tuesday, iLife '05 included or not, I'm going to get my iMac. No sense in waiting anymore (personally), as I don't have the need for a better GPU.

One last thought -- at the prices you guys pay in the UK - iLife '05 should be included!
  • Reply 9 of 50
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by enzo0511

this computer is excellent

except one thing: its GPU really sucks

i hope the future update would include a better graphic card

If the next update comes this spring, I would not be surprised to see Apple using again the Geforce FX 5200 Ultra, perhaps with a 128 MB option. Unless nVidia pulls out some Macintosh version of the other members of the FX 5xxx series.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    One last thought -- at the prices you guys pay in the UK - iLife '05 should be included!

I have to say, this is one thing that is making me hesitate about buying Apple - they really fleece their UK customers and it pisses me off.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Reckon you guys in the UK have it rough? Have yet to see any country with higher prices than over here in NZ... For example:

12in Powerbook with Combo

Apple US - $1599 USD

Apple UK - $2063 USD

Apple NZ - $2285 USD
  • Reply 12 of 50
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    12in Powerbook with Combo

Apple US - $1599 USD

Apple Canada - $1652USD

Not much in comparison but it still hurts.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Thanks for the link. I am so ready to buy. But it'd be nice to get it right at the update.

Either way, I am going to wait until ilife 05 comes pre-loaded. The apple site says ilife 04 comes bundles currently with the imac. As it is, I will have to shell out for Tiger when it comes out, I don't want to have to shell out for ilife 05 as well.

and so again...I wait.

iLife is only £14 (i don't know the US) if you bought a computer after the 11th Jan. This applies till the end of March.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    So I bought my iMac today. An iLife '05 software pack (sans box) had been slid in the top. Below the cardboard but above one of the inner flaps.

So no $20 fee.

This goes against everything Apple phone reps told me.

YMMV.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    I too am hoping for an update soon. I'm without a real computer as of now, this is a loaner, so every day droops by and i check apple daily in hopes of an update. What are the chances of one coming before the end of February??? Waiting sucks.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    I can't wait for the next imac update. Both figuratively and literally. Although I may...for...alittle longer.

I will try to get by on my tiny G3 12" ibook for now.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

I can't wait for the next imac update. Both figuratively and literally. Although I may...for...alittle longer.

I seriously doubt waiting for the next iMac revision makes a lot of sense. First, there are other lines that are in more urgent need for a update - the eMac, PowerMac and Powerbook. Second, the iMac G5 was only introduced last fall - I'd expect an update in April at the earliest. Third, don't hold your breath for an 128MB GFX option. Even the PowerMacs don't feature 128MB across the line yet. Fourth, a speed bump from 1.8Ghz to 2Ghz will be barely noticable.

If you wait some more weeks, you will read the first rumors pointing to soonish updates - buying then will seem stupid, so you hold out even longer. Then comes a delay and then the introduction and by the time you have the new iMac, 3 month will have passed.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    so can we safely buy an imac G5 now ?
  • Reply 19 of 50
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Of course you can. And whatever model you buy now, it will hold well its value when compared to the equivalent one in the next generation of G5 iMacs.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

come on a new iMac will not be for ages, MacRumors is being stupid by telling people not to buy.