Mac Mini Audio line out and USB Audio output.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm going to be setting up my Mac Mini to 2 different audio sources. I want my DVD movies to play through the TV speakers and I want iTunes to play music through the home stereo system.

Is it possible to use the Audio Line Out on the MacMini AND use a USB Audio device (iMic USB Audio Interface) connected to my home stereo at the same time?

Can you have 2 Audio output devices on 1 machine?

With Sound prefences, can I setup my Mac to play audio from Itunes through the USB Audio output? AND when I watch a DVD on my MacMini, can it play audio through the TV speakers? (I'm using a plasma TV with built in speakers as the display for my Mac Mini). Anyone know?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Krob81

I'm going to be setting up my Mac Mini to 2 different audio sources. I want my DVD movies to play through the TV speakers and I want iTunes to play music through the home stereo system.

Is it possible to use the Audio Line Out on the MacMini AND use a USB Audio device (iMic USB Audio Interface) connected to my home stereo at the same time?

Can you have 2 Audio output devices on 1 machine?

With Sound prefences, can I setup my Mac to play audio from Itunes through the USB Audio output? AND when I watch a DVD on my MacMini, can it play audio through the TV speakers? (I'm using a plasma TV with built in speakers as the display for my Mac Mini). Anyone know?

just buy a $2 splitter from radio shack.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I don't know about the USB device, but

you could use the airport express

to send iTunes to your stereo, and

send the line output to your TV.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Ahh good advice. I'll get the airport express. that seems to make sense. thanks a lot.