Edu Purchase Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I understand that, as a student, I'm allowed to purchase ONE PowerBook, iBook, iMac, eMac or PowerMac in an academic year.

In September, I purchased a PowerBook, using my student ID and credit card, for my brother, also a student, because he was not physically able.

I now am about to purchase an iMac for myself. Is it likely that I'll run into trouble? I don't want the sale to go through only to get a call from Apple weeks later telling me they're going to have to charge me full price.

If absolutely necessary, I could get my brother to purchase for me, but that would be a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by tismfu

I understand that, as a student, I'm allowed to purchase ONE PowerBook, iBook, iMac, eMac or PowerMac in an academic year.

In September, I purchased a PowerBook, using my student ID and credit card, for my brother, also a student, because he was not physically able.

I now am about to purchase an iMac for myself. Is it likely that I'll run into trouble? I don't want the sale to go through only to get a call from Apple weeks later telling me they're going to have to charge me full price.

If absolutely necessary, I could get my brother to purchase for me, but that would be a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for any advice.

I was in the same situation, I bought an iMac and just ordered a mac mini. The mini shipped so I guess they don't really check up on what you've ordered in the past.

If they do ask, just tell them about your brother and I'm sure they'll understand.

Peace

-taco
  • Reply 2 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I would say that the first thing I would do is go to an apple store if you can,(if not call 1800myapple) talk to someone face to face,, Tell them your situation, If they approve it, and a few months later, the bean counters get mad, it is their problem, not yours.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    So you've bought a PB, and now want an iMac? No problem.

You're allowed to buy one laptop, and one desktop per educational year. See below:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im...ndividual.html

Quote:

PURCHASE QUANTITY

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase one each of the following per academic school year:[list][*]PowerBook or iBook[*]Power Macintosh G4 or iMac[*]Display[*]Printer[*]A maximum of two copies of any software title

• Reply 4 of 9
    Thank you all for your replies.

With regard to the last one, I get the following when I select my school:

Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):

Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year

Printers - One per year

Displays - Two per year

Software - Two per year

I do remember seeing the iMac or Power Mac / PowerBook or iBook split a while ago, but wonder if they have since changed that policy.

Thanks again, everyone. I was trying to avoid telling them flat out that I've already purchased a PowerBook because I figured it would just make me look sketchy and like I was trying to get away with something. But to be sure, it's probably best to explain my situation.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Thank you all for your replies.

With regard to the last one, I get the following when I select my school:

Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):

Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year

Printers - One per year

Displays - Two per year

Software - Two per year

I do remember seeing the iMac or Power Mac / PowerBook or iBook split a while ago, but wonder if they have since changed that policy.

Thanks again, everyone. I was trying to avoid telling them flat out that I've already purchased a PowerBook because I figured it would just make me look sketchy and like I was trying to get away with something. But to be sure, it's probably best to explain my situation.

If your school prices are the same as the generic Higher Education Individuals store, then use that one and see if the terms and conditions are the same. The one I posted above was from a Google search since I didn't feel like routing through to the edu store.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    If you buy from an Apple retail store, probably all they will do is check your ID to make sure you are actually a student, they don't do anything extra to add that kind of information to some database.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Thanks for any advice.

i'm pretty sure you can purchase one of EACH model. so i think you could buy one powermac, one powerbook, etc...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I don't know how soon you need your iMac, but the cut-off for the academic year is in June. If it becomes a big deal, you don't have to wait until September to qualify again.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Thanks again everyone for the replies.

I need the computer now. My TiBook is getting so unbearably slow... plus, she's nearly four-years-old. It's time to bump her down to easy duty.

Additionally, I graduate in May. June would be too late. I won't be a student again until the fall of '06.

I realize that all they did was take a gander at my student ID when I bought the PB, but I figure they have systems that note an EDU price and perhaps ways of monitoring purchases. Otherwise students could buy lots of computers and sell them for a bit more than EDU but lower than retail and make lots of money.