next apple pro app

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
not including updates, what will be the next pro app by apple? a photoshop kinda of killer app? apple have all the needed features with core image to do a photoshop killer app ....

... or what will be the next apple pro app?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    photoshop killer
  • Reply 2 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    You most definitely won't see a Photoshop competitor. I think Apple should be looking to get a basic 3D apps that competes with apps at the $400-800 level. I think they should acquire luxology.com just for this and the talent involved.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I still think they should have bought Maya, but maybe they had a good reason not to.

More important is the direction iWork is going: a decent general purpose office suite. There's Word now (Pages) and Powerpoint (Keynote), maybe they could sell a bundle of iWork with (a stripped down?) Filemaker aka Access. Now we only need Excel.

But what we need more is an easy to use WYSYWIG html-editor, for home and office-people. No competitor for Dreamweaver and the like, but something more low-to-midrange. More like Contribute, and integrated in iWork.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silver

I still think they should have bought Maya, but maybe they had a good reason not to.

More important is the direction iWork is going: a decent general purpose office suite. There's Word now (Pages) and Powerpoint (Keynote), maybe they could sell a bundle of iWork with (a stripped down?) Filemaker aka Access. Now we only need Excel.

But what we need more is an easy to use WYSYWIG html-editor, for home and office-people. No competitor for Dreamweaver and the like, but something more low-to-midrange. More like Contribute, and integrated in iWork.

Yeah, there are threads about an HTML editor, you should check them out. Lots of slagging off GoLive, which lets be honest is pants!
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tkntkn Posts: 224member
    Pages could be expanded into HTML pretty easily. When I saw the templates I totally thought CMS. Filemaker needs a makeover to go with the rest of iLife. Combine it with Pages for the CMS and you would have a very interesting software sweet. I think a spreadsheet/finance app perhaps called "Numbers" will be next.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TKN

Pages could be expanded into HTML pretty easily. When I saw the templates I totally thought CMS. Filemaker needs a makeover to go with the rest of iLife. Combine it with Pages for the CMS and you would have a very interesting software sweet. I think a spreadsheet/finance app perhaps called "Numbers" will be next.

Also means you can use one app for Page Layout, WP and Web, cool!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Can you imagine if apple had bought Maya? It wouldn't be the same great program we have today.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matt C.

Can you imagine if apple had bought Maya? It wouldn't be the same great program we have today.

I think it would be. Apple's owned Shake for what 3+ years now and Shake is still Shake. Can't agree with you here Matt.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    apple should worry about making Motion a legitimate app (one pros will actually use) before they come out with a new app.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Yeah, I think Apple has its hands full here just honing the pro apps they have.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    I don't know. If you take a look.

Final Cut Pro- Is pretty much running smoothly now. No major architecture changes need to happen. Apple can kind of coast a bit fine tuning the app.

Motion- version 1 release. You're not going to get people to dump After Effects Production for Motion and Apple doesn't intend them to but buried within Motion is the gearing for many more features.

Logic- They've done great with version 7. There are some bugs but they've all but stated that Automatic Delay Compensation is coming. I think we see Tiger allow these apps to breathe a lot better.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Motion- version 1 release. You're not going to get people to dump After Effects Production for Motion and Apple doesn't intend them to but buried within Motion is the gearing for many more features.

exactly. when they get motion to 5.0 or so (or less if each update is very very significant) then they could consider another pro app.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

exactly. when they get motion to 5.0 or so (or less if each update is very very significant) then they could consider another pro app.

Where does that make any sense?

It's not like the team programming Motion would be the same team programming say a 3D app. In fact the team rumored to have created Motion is the old Discreet employees that were layed off.

Motion should be humming along nicely by version 3. It's starting from a point that is more functional than Final Cut Pro was at version 1. I expect to see Motion Pro someday with more features that will go up against After Effects.

Apple doesn't seem to want to dabble in 3D that much so I'd guess that their next Pro app would be a more full featured audio editor/mastering app for Post Production. Logic is aimed at the musician creating music with video PP functionality bolted on.