If Apple was to spend a chunk of their cash on a company, who should they buy?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Simple: TIVO.

After all, Apple and Tivo are the only 2 corporations capable of turning 'computers' into objects of lust, devotion and fanaticism because of their simple elegance and power.

Apple needs an answer in the Home Media space, because they are the succesful king of content creation (iPhoto, iDVD, GarageBand, iMovie, iTunes etc.) but their only avenues for content consumption are the iPod and Airport Express. Apple needs to catch up on the consumption side because they are ALREADY losing business because of it...

Tivo is in trouble, a Mac bail out would give Apple instant credibility, name recognition (in the living room/TV space) and some decent contacts/parterships (however tenuous) with companies like DirecTV. Granted, Apple doesn't need Tivo to make a PVR (Apple could almost certainly do it better), but leveraging the existing Tivo user base would be an easy way to generate revenue as you build...

TiVo is in trouble because it is way behind for one thing. Even if they "catch up", which is unlikely, they may well fail anyway.

There is really very little of value to the company other than name recognition. Under these circumstances Apple would most probably be criticized for the purchase in a manner that would harm the company.

If Apple wanted to sell such a device they could design a better one I am sure.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    If you read this you would assume Apple has already made its mind up - though it probably wouldn't make much of a dent in the cash.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Eidos, and crystal Dynamics.

Apple makes console games for XBOX2, & PS3, and the Mac. Not another console, just the games. Open up gaming on the Mac, enter a multi-billion dollar a year industry, and take away the plague of users that claim Macs are not gaming machines. I wrote about this in another thread before MWSF, but I cant find it now.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    They should buy a programmer or two and FIX LOGIC!!!!!
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Apple makes console games for XBOX2, & PS3, and the Mac. Not another console, just the games. Open up gaming on the Mac, enter a multi-billion dollar a year industry, and take away the plague of users that claim Macs are not gaming machines. I wrote about this in another thread before MWSF, but I cant find it now.

You know, that actually make some sense. I don't know if those are the right companies, but I could certainly see a case for picking up a game company and using the Macs unique strengths to generate games--rather than just picking up ported PC title a couple of years late.

Right now, the lack of good gaming titles really hurts macs.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tak1108

They should buy a programmer or two and FIX LOGIC!!!!!

What's wrong with logic? All the same logic developers still work for Apple/logic.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Voom

HDTV satellite for sale!

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/01/...ss/dolans.html

one great way to download hdtv movies and bypass the cable monopoly

also a way around sirius and XM satellite radio and implement such a solution into the ipod.

oops too late!

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...C-RSSFeeds0312

perhaps dish then
  • Reply 28 of 53
    I second Adobe, we all know that Photoshop development on the Mac is crippled to keep feature parity (cough 2 GiB RAM limit).

Do the same with the whole CS package.

Would Quark give up or keep trying? I honestly would prefer them to stick around for the competition aspect.

Roll Photoshop Elements into iPhoto '06 and release it on the Windows side as a stand alone to keep iPod photo support or kill Windows development and sign a deal with Google and Picasa.

Steal any good features from their video editing software and then kill Windows development (Vegas and Avid are doing fine over there).

What else does Adobe have?
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Thursby, Thursby, Thursby, Thursby, Thursby, Thursby, Thursby, Thursby.

I like Thursby.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    How about palmone

Jobs liked handspring. Palmone bought handspring.

Apple buys palm= apple smartphone

or not!

http://www.theregister.com/2005/01/2...e_ceo_resigns/

valuation is about 1 bil dollars. which could be bought with apple stock and cash on only the itms revenue!
  • Reply 31 of 53
    OK ,so we're downing the dregs of our second bottle of red, so my comment was perhaps a trifle less coherent than i imagined. But, I spend much of my working life deploying Mac OS X into large AD environments, and i think that the Thursby SMB and AD tools would really give Tiger an unimpeachable 'in' with otherwise hard-hearted clients. Things like proper sites support, DFS support, and no littering . files on shares. Come on Apple, cough up.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Good idea! Great synergy as far as games and TOOLS for gamers to make use of.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsocal

Apple would still need to resolve what ever issues they have with the remaining Beetles and their "Apple Music" label, but in the end it could be a very good strategic move.

That';s gone very quiet because the Beatles agreed to Apple selling digital music. However, I don't see Apple buying a music label, it's too risky, they don't want to be sued again.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    SONOS... adding media/digital hub netwoking. Thier remote looks a lot like an oversized iPod but Apple seems to have taken their revenge by making the Mac mini look like the Zoneplayer
  • Reply 35 of 53
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by RolandG

SONOS... adding media/digital hub netwoking. Thier remote looks a lot like an oversized iPod but Apple seems to have taken their revenge by making the Mac mini look like the Zoneplayer

It looks quite good. Interface looks ok. Definitely copied off an iPod though!
  • Reply 36 of 53
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Dell
  • Reply 37 of 53
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    What about Macromedia? Think about it: Apple studio MX 2k6, mac flash renderor rewritten for tiger and core*, make everything Apple only, fold any product over lap in with existing apple products (eccept web objects - leave well enough alone and go with the apps with huge name recognition)
  • Reply 38 of 53
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,424member
    Adobe and Macromedia? Bah? Where's the insane profit in that? Both companies have a lot of fat that Apple would be ingesting.

Nay..if Apple wanted to build a DTP empire they could have done so years ago.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Buy Intuit!

NO MORE QUICKEN FOR WINDOWS!

WEEE I AM INSANE!!!
  • Reply 40 of 53
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    The people who make the Roomba vacuum cleaners. Then they can start installing spinning saw blades and pin-swing-hammer-arms that sync to iTunes.

WHAM!