Just noticed something about iTunes and its artwork

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I usually keep my iTunes window minimized in my dock a lot while I am working. I just noticed today that when it moves from one song to another, it updates the artwork in the minimized window.

I realize that everybody probably knows about this already. I just thought I'd bring it up because I thought it was cool.

I thought the minimized windows were static and didn't update (unless you minimize a QT movie while its playing).

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I usually keep my iTunes window minimized in my dock a lot while I am working. I just noticed today that when it moves from one song to another, it updates the artwork in the minimized window.

I realize that everybody probably knows about this already. I just thought I'd bring it up because I thought it was cool.

I thought the minimized windows were static and didn't update (unless you minimize a QT movie while its playing).

Mike

I hadn't noticed that, Safari doesn't update flash adverts when minimised though! I have a very small dock so I don't notice or care if it updates. Cool that it does though.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Neat find!

Omniweb has always done a lovely job updating a minimized browser window, if it's docked before it's finished loading. Too bad the Safari team apparently hasn't yet figured this out.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

I'm not sure I get what you mean.

Even when I have iTunes showing in full-sized form, the little artwork pane shows me the artwork of the last selected song, not the last played song. As iTunes plays from one track to the next, my selection doesn't move along with the playback, and the artwork doesn't change either.

The bigger, separate artwork windows that I get by clicking on the artwork pane don't track playback in anyway either.

Minimizing my iTunes window doesn't seem to make it do things that it didn't do while bigger -- and besides, the artwork is about 5x5 pixels in my Dock. I'd notice if it changed, but that's about all I could notice.

Am I missing some settings in iTunes? Are you using some special utility?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I'm not sure I get what you mean.

Even when I have iTunes showing in full-sized form, the little artwork pane shows me the artwork of the last selected song, not the last played song. As iTunes plays from one track to the next, my selection doesn't move along with the playback, and the artwork doesn't change either.

The bigger, separate artwork windows that I get by clicking on the artwork pane don't track playback in anyway either.

Minimizing my iTunes window doesn't seem to make it do things that it didn't do while bigger -- and besides, the artwork is about 5x5 pixels in my Dock. I'd notice if it changed, but that's about all I could notice.

Am I missing some settings in iTunes? Are you using some special utility?

click on the text above the artwork, "selected song," this will then toggle between selected song and playing song
  • Reply 5 of 8
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yeah, not an obvious thing at all to toggle them, but it's there.

Another tidbit: if you add additional pieces of artwork to the file, you get little forward and back arrows next to the "Now Playing" header over the artwork box that let you cycle through all the art you've tagged onto the file. I found this out by accident when I duplicated artwork for some files a while ago.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Yeah, not an obvious thing at all to toggle them, but it's there.

Another tidbit: if you add additional pieces of artwork to the file, you get little forward and back arrows next to the "Now Playing" header over the artwork box that let you cycle through all the art you've tagged onto the file. I found this out by accident when I duplicated artwork for some files a while ago.

Have you been living under a rock? (joke) Yup these are well known, I admit though that Apple could have made it a lot easier to see these features, it's a shame iPod photo doesn't support multiple pictures.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

click on the text above the artwork, "selected song," this will then toggle between selected song and playing song

Thanks. Never knew that was hidden in there.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Thanks. Never knew that was hidden in there.

Apple do make technologies you can just miss. I only found out how to make smart playlists because they included some.