MiniBook

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Now that Apple has the smallest computer I've ever seen, how about a really small laptop? 8 inch screen possibly. Can come standard with 1.25 GHz G4, and to save space, use a 1.8 inch Hard Drive and a Video Card simular to the one in the Nintendo DS (if it can run two 4 inch screens, why not?) It wouldn't nessisarily be a competitor in th laptp market, but the PocketPC and tablet PC markets would be what we are aiming for in this type of venture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I don't think it will be very usefull to have an 8" device. The resolution of the screen can't be too high (or it will look tiny). This means no serious applications can run on it, except some basic tools perhaps (Mail).

People who want a small device when travelling (businessmen for example) buy a PDA. Or, if they need a computer 12" is the way.

People who want a tiny computer, got the Mac Mini.

So there is no real valuable target audience for the Mini Book. It's an obsolete product IMHO.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Make it a tablet and I'd be interested in one.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    I have heard that Apple could do well in the Tablet Market. It's the same as the iPod. It's not a big market like MP3 players were before iPod. Apple could inovate the tablet market and make a ton or money.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Check out www.oqo.com

That's what Apple's MiniBook should be: a full computer about the size of a your typical PDA.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Check out www.oqo.com

That's what Apple's MiniBook should be: a full computer about the size of a your typical PDA.

yeah, except it shouldn't cost $2000...
  • Reply 6 of 38
    The OQO model is a good idea, but that keyboard that is on it made my hands hurt. Maybe Apple should model something more off the Nintendo DS, thouch screen on bottom using the same writhing software I've seen on other PocketPCs. That means more ease of use.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    it would be a stupid idea to create an apple laptop with such a small screen...

and please, don't compare the ibook and this crap from Nintendo
  • Reply 8 of 38
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by isomething

Now that Apple has the smallest computer I've ever seen, how about a really small laptop? 8 inch screen possibly. Can come standard with 1.25 GHz G4, and to save space, use a 1.8 inch Hard Drive and a Video Card simular to the one in the Nintendo DS (if it can run two 4 inch screens, why not?) It wouldn't nessisarily be a competitor in th laptp market, but the PocketPC and tablet PC markets would be what we are aiming for in this type of venture.

Quote:

I have heard that Apple could do well in the Tablet Market. It's the same as the iPod. It's not a big market like MP3 players were before iPod. Apple could inovate the tablet market and make a ton or money.

those markets are already small in a windows environment, let alone in a mac environment.

very nice for geekies. but not something apple would make money with.

it would be the newton of the 21th century: great, but overpriced.

nobody will buy it and everybody will whine about the price apple has to ask for it.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Existence

Check out www.oqo.com

Check out the video:

-Apple II

-First Mac

-NeXT Cube

-G3 Powermac

-PM Cube

-G4 Powerbook
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Check out the video:

-Apple II

-First Mac

-NeXT Cube

-G3 Powermac

-PM Cube

-G4 Powerbook

You forgot the Lisa.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Lisa doesn't even belong in that list.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Lisa doesn't even belong in that list.

you're sure?
  • Reply 13 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pmjoe

Make it a tablet and I'd be interested in one.

I think the iMac G5 has more prospects!
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I think the iMac G5 has more prospects!

The idea is to have a cheap portable Mac to expand the market more. And don't say that's what the iBook is! Something that will cost less that $500.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

The idea is to have a cheap portable Mac to expand the market more. And don't say that's what the iBook is! Something that will cost less that $500.

More prospects as a tablet, it looks like one! I don't see a PDA or tablet from Apple - he slags them off but also says Apple isn't going there. He slagged off the flash MP3s but never said they weren't going there (correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

More prospects as a tablet, it looks like one! I don't see a PDA or tablet from Apple - he slags them off but also says Apple isn't going there. He slagged off the flash MP3s but never said they weren't going there (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think you're right, APple must have something up their sleeves.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

I think you're right, APple must have something up their sleeves.

We had that once it was called newton.

The pda market is shrinking the smartphone market is expanding.

look in that direction.

but not for too long.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    smartphones are better, what could Apple do there? It makes sense to have a PDA and a cell phone in one nice neat package.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    The world is becoming more dependant on being online/connected as each day passes. The market is changing, so you can't just base it on 'no-one wants a small device' or 'it's too small a market' - that may have been the case in the past, but look at the mobile phone market 13 years ago. 'Apparently' no-one wanted or could afford one then...

It's called innovation.

You guys who are denying these developments are the same as those who said 'who needs a portable phone - there's a payphone on every street...'. Can't we be a bit more positive and excited about what might be around the corner???

PDA's are dying because they're so limited. People want more than a glorified address book now. At the same time, these aren't machines to write your life story on, so a small keyboard doesn't matter. Just have a USB port to connect a full size on if you need. But I REALLY want something I can email with and browse the web, and that fits in my pocket - the OQO is that machine, and Apple can't ignore it.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

yeah, except it shouldn't cost $2000...

If it ran OSX I'd pay $2000 for one.