New iPhoto is like WOW! (Thoughts?)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I just ordered a book!

Making it was very easy and intuitive. I really like iPhoto
  • Reply 22 of 44
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    A possible, messy fix for the disappearing thumbs is to edit an image, then undo it. This should force iPhoto to create a new thumb. Like I said, messy and not necessarily quick, but if you have a problem, it's worth a shot.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

What I want to know is if Spotlight searches iPhoto meta-data.

not yet
  • Reply 24 of 44
    arnelarnel Posts: 103member
    As far as I know, iPhoto doesn't store a picture's keywords metadata in the photo file itself, it's stored in the library database file. It's definately stored in the AlbumData.xml file at the top of the the iPhoto Library folder, anyhow.

From what I've read (and please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'd love to know!), Spotlight can only get metadata from inside the particular file it's indexing. It can't use information from one file to give metadata about another file, as in the iPhoto setup.

The picture files Steve demoed Spotlight with at MWSF were from Corbis, not from iPhoto, and they have metadata inside them. I guess there will have to be an updated iPhoto that actually stores keywords in the files themselves for Spotlight to be able to index the files properly. Or... err... you can use iPhoto itself!

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 25 of 44
    rara Posts: 623member
    Or Spotlight would just index the iPhoto database.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by G_Warren

If I remember correctly, Steve did a search in the keynote and specifically said it does - he searched for love, and sunset, and it showed the relevant photos.

they weren't necessarily in iPhoto though, although I don't see any reason why Spotlight would not search in that folder.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    The images Steve searched through were from Corbis - just before he began the demo he said that they'd loaded a ton of images onto the machine, that they were from Corbis, and that they were tagged with metadata.

The problem with iPhoto is that I don't think it tags the images themselves with the metadata you provide (title, rating, album, etc), and therefore Spotlight can't index those photos under the appropriate keywords. I might be wrong, and it might just keep that info in the library .xml file for quick loading. Does anyone know how to find out? Pulling one of the photos into Preview didn't tell me much one way or the other.

Like I said above, I think Spotlight can only get metadata from inside the file it's indexing - it can't retrieve info from a seperate file.

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 28 of 44
    But wouldn't it be possible for Spotlight to let's say tap into the iPhoto library database and use it to find pictures related to what you're searching for?
  • Reply 29 of 44
    I don't think so. From what I can read here, the metadata importers get given a file to extract info from, and then just return a table of that metadata to the Spotlight system.

That metadata is associated with the file it was extracted from - in iPhoto's case it would be associated with the library file and not with all of the different individual photo files.

I may be wrong :-/

Neil.

a.k.a. Arnel
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

But wouldn't it be possible for Spotlight to let's say tap into the iPhoto library database and use it to find pictures related to what you're searching for?

I'm sure Apple will figure a way to use spotlight and yo include iPhoto comments.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    The new features of iPhoto are really good. It makes my image correction work much easier ( I take terrible photos ).

The real killer is that it is massively faster when browsing thumbnails. On my emac 1.2/512 it was not practical to browse the thumbnails in my whole library ( 4000 images ). Scrolling up a screen at a time would take many seconds.

iPhoto 5 has fixed that. I can now scrub through my whole library without any problems.

When I did the upgrade it converted my thumbnails, so Im guessing that they are now in a friendlier format for fast access.

I was having trouble with missing thumbnails ( grey thumbnail instead of an image ) with '04, the upgrade fixed that.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Here's a question...

Does iPhoto 5 allow a user to share their library with other users on the very same computer? I know it's possible to share them across your local network, but whenever I try to do it with other users on the same computer, it doesn't work.

It reminds me of the music sharing in iTunes. At first, it only allowed you to share your music with others that weren't on your computer. Then Apple fixed this in a later release and allowed users on the same computer to share music between accounts.

I really hope iPhoto 5 has fixed this because I find it very annoying to transfer photos from one user's library to mine. It would be so much easier if I could just open up iPhoto under their account and then have it appear as a shared photo library in iPhoto under my account so I can simply drag the photos I want into my library.

Mike
  • Reply 33 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmmpie

When I did the upgrade it converted my thumbnails, so Im guessing that they are now in a friendlier format for fast access.

I found that in iPhoto 4, it works like the iPod photo, if the thumbnails are small enough you can scroll through much faster. Then when you rest they get higher quality. Smart really, Picasa is quite appalling when it comes to scrolling.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by MPMoriarty

Here's a question...

Does iPhoto 5 allow a user to share their library with other users on the very same computer? I know it's possible to share them across your local network, but whenever I try to do it with other users on the same computer, it doesn't work.

It reminds me of the music sharing in iTunes. At first, it only allowed you to share your music with others that weren't on your computer. Then Apple fixed this in a later release and allowed users on the same computer to share music between accounts.

I really hope iPhoto 5 has fixed this because I find it very annoying to transfer photos from one user's library to mine. It would be so much easier if I could just open up iPhoto under their account and then have it appear as a shared photo library in iPhoto under my account so I can simply drag the photos I want into my library.

Mike

Yes, you can see shared iPhoto from another account on the same computer. I just tried it.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

I found that in iPhoto 4, it works like the iPod photo, if the thumbnails are small enough you can scroll through much faster. Then when you rest they get higher quality. Smart really, Picasa is quite appalling when it comes to scrolling.

I use Picasa at work on a PC to avoid using Explorer. While fairly decent (version 2) if you are used to iPhoto you won't like it much. Seems you are always discovering some little thing that isn't quite right.

Scrolling is really weird. Like no other scroll bar I have ever seen in its widget design. When you are scrolling and then let go or quit, it keeps scrolling a little more. Weird.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Of the programs in iLife I only use the iPhoto, and that only to organize the pics taken with my Ixus 400. I don't label photos but the ones not in iPhoto, I organize in folders on the HD. So far I have left the pics in iPhoto just lie there in the library.

Guys, in your opinion, is it worth it to spend 30eur to upgrade from iPhoto '04 to '05? (They have this deal because I just bought an iBook.) Do you get anything worthwhile besides correction tools? Have they made iPhoto faster? ('04 sometimes feels slow.) Is organizing photos better?

edit: so far I haven't felt much need to correct my photos, but I have Gimp on hand. Don't really have experience with it though - more with Photoshop, which I don't have home.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gon

Of the programs in iLife I only use the iPhoto, and that only to organize the pics taken with my Ixus 400. I don't label photos but the ones not in iPhoto, I organize in folders on the HD. So far I have left the pics in iPhoto just lie there in the library.

Guys, in your opinion, is it worth it to spend 30eur to upgrade from iPhoto '04 to '05? (They have this deal because I just bought an iBook.) Do you get anything worthwhile besides correction tools? Have they made iPhoto faster? ('04 sometimes feels slow.) Is organizing photos better?

edit: so far I haven't felt much need to correct my photos, but I have Gimp on hand. Don't really have experience with it though - more with Photoshop, which I don't have home.

Is that the postage cost? I would probably go for it, but I plan to use iMovie and iDVD. iPhoto is a solid app though, having not tried iPhoto 5 yet I would not know for certain, from previews it looks a lot better, smart albums and calendar view.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    OK now tell me if I'm wrong here. It seems that it can only adjust color levels all at once. In Photoshop you can do RGB all at once, or do Red, Blue, and Green separately. It is key because many times one particular color has different levels. So can iPhoto do that?
  • Reply 39 of 44
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

I use Picasa at work on a PC to avoid using Explorer. While fairly decent (version 2) if you are used to iPhoto you won't like it much. Seems you are always discovering some little thing that isn't quite right.

Scrolling is really weird. Like no other scroll bar I have ever seen in its widget design. When you are scrolling and then let go or quit, it keeps scrolling a little more. Weird.

Picasa is the best thing us windows guys have, but it doesnt hold a candle to iphoto, picasa has everything so huge and bubbley that it really doesnt look right unless you run it at like 1600x1200 (an unusualy high res in the windows world) and the scrolling is quirky, not to mention the placement of many gui elements just doesnt feel right, but it is the best on windows, apple has got fit and finish down to a science of its own. Apple obviously puts as much effort and r&d into the feel, fit, and finish as the underpinning technology - and it shows - look at GB or logic express compared to acid or adobe audition.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Except they don't follow their own GUI guidelines. They are getting so sloppy. Why the HELL are the damn buttons on the bottom. They feel better at the top. They should be at the top. iCal has the same problem.