how to convert mpeg I to mpeg 4 with sound

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
my dc takes movie in mpeg 1, imovie hd can now import it but without voice,

is there anyway to keep the sound as well? i tried converting to mpeg 4 in QT but still no sound.

thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    You need to 'demux' the file. A number of apps on Versiontracker can do this, which will split it into two files: one for the video and one for the audio. Then just import the video, and add the audio separately.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

You need to 'demux' the file. A number of apps on Versiontracker can do this, which will split it into two files: one for the video and one for the audio. Then just import the video, and add the audio separately.

demux?

i wll search version tracker. thanks
  • Reply 3 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Originally, MPEG did not support sound. It was later added on to the standard, but you had to "mux" the sound onto the video file. No, I have no idea why it's called that.

So, removing the sound from the video file is "demuxing."
  • Reply 4 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Streamclip is your friend.

I have the same problem, and I've used many apps, this is the best.

Free to boot
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Streamclip is your friend.

I have the same problem, and I've used many apps, this is the best.

Free to boot

thanks,

demuxing successfully.

but cant import the soundtrack to imovie.....
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

you had to "mux" the sound onto the video file. No, I have no idea why it's called that.

mux and demux stand for multiplex and demultiplex respectively. Have a look here if you want to know a bit more.

I have no idea why QuickTime will not export MPEG1 audio to other formats (and it doesn't matter whether the audio is muxed with video or not, QuickTime will not export it). Perhaps there are licensing issues.

Personally, I use ffmpegx to convert MPEG1 audio. Installation is a bit of an involved process, but the tools are very useful and therefore worth the effort if you're going to be doing this a lot. In ffmpegx, you can select the muxed (i.e. you don't have to demux first) MPEG1 file, deselect the "encode video" tick box in the "video" tab, and select the output audio file format in the "audio" tab.

good luck.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

mux and demux stand for multiplex and demultiplex respectively. Have a look here if you want to know a bit more.

I have no idea why QuickTime will not export MPEG1 audio to other formats (and it doesn't matter whether the audio is muxed with video or not, QuickTime will not export it). Perhaps there are licensing issues.

Personally, I use ffmpegx to convert MPEG1 audio. Installation is a bit of an involved process, but the tools are very useful and therefore worth the effort if you're going to be doing this a lot. In ffmpegx, you can select the muxed (i.e. you don't have to demux first) MPEG1 file, deselect the "encode video" tick box in the "video" tab, and select the output audio file format in the "audio" tab.

good luck.

thanks for that,

will surely try ffmpegx.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by firehc

thanks,

demuxing successfully.

but cant import the soundtrack to imovie.....

What I do is drag and drop the movie into it and the select File-> Export to DV

You then drag and drop the DV file directly into iMovie

No other steps are necessary.

If you dont have audio, play around with the options. I have never had problems
  • Reply 9 of 9
    my friend has got a pc, anyway to do anything with that?