Firefox and this forum

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi.

I love using Firefox, but today when I try to come to the forums at appleinsider, the page appears for a moment, and then turns white! This happened to me a couple months ago, so I stopped coming here, but it must have got fixed somehow. I have to open Safari, when I want to come here.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Same thing happened to me. Go to Firefox / Preferences / Privacy / Clear cache. I then had to quit firefox and restart it to load Appleinsider forums. I could get everything except the forums. I wasn't able to get the forums till I restarted firefox.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 14
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Its one of the ads. It keep doing the same thing to me.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I have firefox, but it has a very Windows feel to me. Why do you like it better than Safari?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    I tried the cache clearing and restart of Firefox again. It did not help. This is very frustrating.

pbbaker - Well, I respect that you prefer Safari. I like the feel of Safari, but it is too slow. If Safari can match Firefox when Tiger comes out, I will go back to Safari full time, but it is too slow right now.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I have firefox, but it has a very Windows feel to me. Why do you like it better than Safari?

Agreed. Plus Firefox has a very long start-up delay
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I agree with you that firefox is a little faster. If they would give it more of a Mac look and feel to it. I thougt I read somewhere that Camino has a great Mac look but uses Firefox rendering engine?
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Well, perhaps I have a slower machine than most of you, because Firefox is a lot quicker than Safari on my system. However, when Safari can match it, I will happily go back to Apple's own browser.

Camino is pretty good. The reason I don't use Camino is I feel that it takes up more of my system's resources than Safari or Firefox. It does have an excellent look and feel, and the browsing is quicker than Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

Well, perhaps I have a slower machine than most of you, because Firefox is a lot quicker than Safari on my system. However, when Safari can match it, I will happily go back to Apple's own browser.

Camino is pretty good. The reason I don't use Camino is I feel that it takes up more of my system's resources than Safari or Firefox. It does have an excellent look and feel, and the browsing is quicker than Safari.

Firefox has better find utility. Both the bar and searching pages. Also when I'm on the Apple website with safari i get 400 errors and the apple store won't work-when you click go to checkout! However, there's no spell checker in Firefox and it doesn't feel OS X.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    It doesn't feel OS X because its not made by the OS X team. That's a lame argument. Firefox on Windows doesn't look like XP's Luna either, but people still use it.

And on Linux it doesn't feel like a GTK or QT app but its still used. Nevertheless, I believe that the Firefox team is working on a new interface for Mac OS X, and that it will be released with the 1.1 release.

And just for the record; Firefox looks the same in Windows as it does on Linux. No UI change, no GNOME or KDE or Luna feel or whatever. Just a standard UI.

So OS X users (including me) got a different UI to match their native GUI to some extent, and they still complain.

Anyway, I realize that it's freedom of choice and that if you don't like it, you just don't like it.

I like the way Safari looks, but I still use Firefox because it 'feels' faster. It may not have a spellchecker or it may not feel very OS X to me, but I'm a guy that uses 3+ different systems every day, and I don't really care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done.

But I realize others do, and that's why I say, use whichever you want and like as long as its not IE. Can't stand that b_itch.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I have been using Camino a for a few days since my last post, and I can tell that it is noticably faster than Safari. It has a good OSX UI, but it can still use some UI improvements. It seems to be small and simple, and quick.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pbaker05

I have been using Camino a for a few days since my last post, and I can tell that it is noticably faster than Safari. It has a good OSX UI, but it can still use some UI improvements. It seems to be small and simple, and quick.

I used to use Firefox, but with my new mini I started

using Safari and so far no problems.

I still use Thunderbird, for the adaptive spam filtering.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

It doesn't feel OS X because its not made by the OS X team. That's a lame argument. Firefox on Windows doesn't look like XP's Luna either, but people still use it.

And on Linux it doesn't feel like a GTK or QT app but its still used. Nevertheless, I believe that the Firefox team is working on a new interface for Mac OS X, and that it will be released with the 1.1 release.

And just for the record; Firefox looks the same in Windows as it does on Linux. No UI change, no GNOME or KDE or Luna feel or whatever. Just a standard UI.

So OS X users (including me) got a different UI to match their native GUI to some extent, and they still complain.

Anyway, I realize that it's freedom of choice and that if you don't like it, you just don't like it.

I like the way Safari looks, but I still use Firefox because it 'feels' faster. It may not have a spellchecker or it may not feel very OS X to me, but I'm a guy that uses 3+ different systems every day, and I don't really care what it looks like as long as it gets the job done.

But I realize others do, and that's why I say, use whichever you want and like as long as its not IE. Can't stand that b_itch.

The look doesn't bother me it's the behaviour. Pressing up doesn't go to the beginning of the line, down doesn't go to the end. Tabs would be better with the buttons on the tabs like safari and camino. And I know the UI looks the same on windows, I use windows as well.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if i shut down and restart, click on firefox virus scan opens and scans it...that doesn't happen with safari or other icons in my dock hmmmmmm any suggestions??/

also with safari, gmail is sloooooooow or just hangs firefox loads it no problem
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by NOFEER

if i shut down and restart, click on firefox virus scan opens and scans it...that doesn't happen with safari or other icons in my dock hmmmmmm any suggestions??/

also with safari, gmail is sloooooooow or just hangs firefox loads it no problem

Even the Apple website sometimes doesn't work with safari - even though it does with Firefox. Weird. Well hopefully Safari RSS will be faster. I'll probably use Firefox though - I just wish it was more Mac looking.