Did the Stickies coder's just get lazy?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all,

i dont know if any1 else has noticied this, or perhaps it's just my computer mucking around; but when i had OSX's Stickies open, and i went to close an unsaved Sticky, the following message popped up:

"STICKIE_BEEN_EDITED_SAVE?"

It's as if the coders just couldn't be bothered to write the usual polite message (such as TextEdit's "If you don?t save, your changes will be lost.")

well that's all, just somethin i noticed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It looks like something has gone wrong in your install. Apple's Cocoa programs use "Localizable.strings" files to make localizing (translating) applications very easy, and you are seeing the identifier that stands in for the actual text. Usually this means that that string is not defined in the localization or the default language (usually English). When Cocoa can't find the appropriate entry at run time it puts in the identifier string, and that is what you are seeing.

Have you done anything to remove localizations on your computer? If so this could be why things went wrong. Oh, and according to the English loclization file for Stickies the proper text should be (from /Applications/Stickies.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings):

// Question asked of user when he/she tries to close a window containing an unsaved document.

"STICKIE_BEEN_EDITED_SAVE?" = "Stickies note has been edited. Do you want to save it?";
  • Reply 2 of 4
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Does that mean I can make my own texts?

Oh Golly. If I can someones computer is gonna have some pretty cool messages.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Does that mean I can make my own texts?

Oh Golly. If I can someones computer is gonna have some pretty cool messages.

Yes, as long as the program uses the Cocoa nib format and does not programatically change the text (or uses the "Localizable.strings" system to do so) you can change most messages. You can also use InterfaceBuilder to tweak the interface on a lot of programs (same deal, if they use customized views or programatically construct things you are out of luck... and a lot of Apple's stuff winds up doing that in parts). Carbon programs are not eligible for this.

Look in the .app package (control/right click on the app and chose "Show Package Contents" and then go into Contents/Resources/<select language>.lproj and then play around with the .nib (free developer tools required) and .strings (just text) files. I would do this on a copy of the application, as there is no undo and you can seriously mess things up.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

[B]Yes, as long as the program uses the Cocoa nib format and does not programatically change the text (or uses the "Localizable.strings" system to do so) you can change most messages. You can also use InterfaceBuilder to tweak the interface on a lot of programs (same deal, if they use customized views or programatically construct things you are out of luck... and a lot of Apple's stuff winds up doing that in parts). Carbon programs are not eligible for this.

Should work just fine with any modern Carbon app. Quick ports of old classic apps to carbon may still use resources, but anything modern is surely using nibs and strings files.

Bryan

--

http://bryanzak.blogspot.com