RAM Differences?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

Im interested in upgrading my 15 inch powerbook g4 (1.5 ghz) to 1 gig of ram (I currently have 512 mb). Any recommendations on what type of ram I should look into>? Any that I should avoid?

Chris

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    www.crucial.com is great.

You can go through the memory finder for your Powerbook, but it is cheaper to just select the memory you need on their site.

Select "2700" on the left-hand side, and then scroll down on the next page to 200 pin SO-DIM. You could buy 2 512MBs, and then you would have 1 gig. You will have to remove the current sticks in your Powerbook, for I'm guessing you probably have 2 256 sticks right now.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibook911

www.crucial.com is great.

You can go through the memory finder for your Powerbook, but it is cheaper to just select the memory you need on their site.

Select "2700" on the left-hand side, and then scroll down on the next page to 200 pin SO-DIM. You could buy 2 512MBs, and then you would have 1 gig. You will have to remove the current sticks in your Powerbook, for I'm guessing you probably have 2 256 sticks right now.

If you're going to want to upgrade again you should probably get a 1GB stick - although they're expensive. Kingston RAM is respected as the leader, they're more expensive though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I was looking at kingston and viking, which were both pretty expensive... I was looking at this one too SAMSUNG RAM

They say that it is the same stuff that comes in the PB... any insight or recommendations?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    An easy way to check what you need is open up the system profiler and clcik on "Memory." This will show the RAM slot and the type of module that is currently installed in it. Write down the RAM speed so you have it for reference when you go to buy a new one.

Upgrading to a 1 GB chip is respectable, but it WILL cost you no matter what avenue you take. Be prepared to spend upwards of $150 - $200 for one. Match the RAM speeds and make sure you have the right type of module (most likely a low-profile So-DIMM) and the right pin count, and there you go. As far as brand, I have to say that I trust Kingston RAM more than most. It's going to be more expensive, but it certainly won't die on you.

Hope that gets you started!

~Chris