How do I "crack" open an application please?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello All,

I am not trying to do anything illegal or indeed anything my Mother would frown upon!

I would like to be able to modify a programme I have on my machine here. I can remember from my PC days there were programmes that allowed you to see the coding of programmes / applications.

Is there any such stuff available to Mac users please?

Thanks in advance.

Zhoopy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Modify in what way? Tell us what you're trying to accomplish...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    In the Finder, you can use the contextual menu to "Show Package Contents" when you select an application. You can reach the guts of the app that way. To perform code surgery, you would need to install the developer tools (can't remember if this CD comes with a Mac or just with the boxed OS) and open the app in something like IB (Interface Builder) or XCode.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    you can also sign up for free as an online-ADC (Apple Developer) at http://developer.apple.com/ and download the dev tools

you can also look for RESOURCER it lets you "hack" a lot. Its the closest thing to ResEdit you can get. Too bad its not free like good old ResEdit was

*sigh*
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Thanks to all who have replied. I suppose I had better "come clean".

I am trying to modify Littlewing's Monster Fair pinball game. I would like to add extra balls. Ok Ok I know its cheating but there is a serious side to this problem as well...

I also want to be able to modify a programme that controls an iSight camera for some night vision work.

There! said it!

Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Zhoopy.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zhoopy

I also want to be able to modify a programme that controls an iSight camera for some night vision work.

Zhoopy.

are you the dude from paris hilton's video?!?!