Target pulls Mac mini from online store

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Days after placing Apple's Mac mini up for sale on its web site, Target has removed the product, citing availability concerns.

Just four days after Target.com began listing Apple's recently announced Mac mini computer as a purchasable item, the online retailer has abruptly yanked the product from its web site.

Target.com had priced the Mac mini at Apple's manufacturer's suggested retail price of $499, though web-savvy customers quickly discovered they could save 10% off that cost by entering coupon codes with their order, bringing the cost of the mini down to $450.

Sources close to AppleInsider claim this discounted price falls below the wholesale price of the computer, and likely attracted a plethora of buyers, ranging from the average customer to small resellers.

In an e-mail to inquiring customers, Target cited availability concerns as the sole factor that prompted it to remove the product from its store.

"We appreciate your interest in purchasing the Mac Mini. We can't offer a definite date when it will be on hand again, and because of this, we're not able to make it available for ordering at this time," the retailer said.

"Our inventory is constantly changing and we may get the item back in stock, so check back again. If inventory is on hand, you'll see an "Add to Cart" button on the product description page."

Apple's own online store is backlogged on mini orders by 3-4 weeks, but Apple Authorized Retailer J&R Music World is currently quoting ship estimates of 3-5 days and 7-10 days for the 1.42GHz and 1.25GHz models, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Heh.... no wonder the Mini sales like warm buns ...

Funny though, it seems like everytime, the demand is far bigger than the supply
  • Reply 2 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    I struggle to think of that many items in electronics that don't have about a month of time to filter out into the wild. Apple isn't alone in this it's just unlike most companies there is a very noticeable demand for their products.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I just don't understand why Apple didn't have a warehouse full of 100,000 Mac Minis prior to their announcement. That way they can meet the demand.

This always happens. By the time enough Minis get to stores, a lot of switchers will have given up and bought the $349 Dell (that comes with monitor, mouse and keyboard.)
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by DonkeyRinse

I just don't understand why Apple didn't have a warehouse full of 100,000 Mac Minis prior to their announcement. That way they can meet the demand.

They did have, but they all sold out.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

They did have, but they all sold out.

I bet the sales figures will be staggering.

Personally, I'm waiting for Tiger to ship pre-installed on the Mini. Also, the specs have already been upgraded, so waiting a couple months can't hurt.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Didn't something like this happen with amazon.com and Panther?

I seem to remember they offered a $20.00 or $30.00 dollar pre-order rebate to bring the price down to (something like) $99.00. In less than 36 hours they pulled the rebate saying they made a mistake. Then a day later they said they could not fill the orders claiming overwelming demand.

Several months later we found out that Apple had made them pull the discount because you don't discount Apple products unless Steveo says you discount Apple products.

H/P found that out with their iPod deal.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Also the 100,000 in warehouse doesn't earn Apple any money. It could of also turned into a Cube and not sold at all and what would Apple do with the remaining units if they produced 1,000,000 of them. It's all about balancing supply and demand and it can be hard judging the market for risky items like iPods and Mac mini, so it's going to be a little rough in the beginning.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibeetle

Didn't something like this happen with amazon.com and Panther?

I seem to remember they offered a $20.00 or $30.00 dollar pre-order rebate to bring the price down to (something like) $99.00. In less than 36 hours they pulled the rebate saying they made a mistake. Then a day later they said they could not fill the orders claiming overwelming demand.

Several months later we found out that Apple had made them pull the discount because you don't discount Apple products unless Steveo says you discount Apple products.

H/P found that out with their iPod deal.

Yeah, they did that, but I still got it for $99 from elsewhere. I'm amazed at those who complain about the $129 price, I always find it for around $100 at several on-line stores (got mine at MacConnection).
  • Reply 9 of 11
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

I bet the sales figures will be staggering.

Personally, I'm waiting for Tiger to ship pre-installed on the Mini. Also, the specs have already been upgraded, so waiting a couple months can't hurt.

The specs haven't been upgraded. Some upgrade pricing was reduced, but the specs are as before (the DVD/RW drive's specs, which yesterday said 8x now reads 4x again). The only real change is that you can get bluetooth OR airport, rather than both, if you want.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    This is one of the biggest complaints I have about a newly released Apple, YOU CAN NEVER FUCKING GET ONE! It's ridiculous that Apple can't produce enough for demand.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

This is one of the biggest complaints I have about a newly released Apple, YOU CAN NEVER FUCKING GET ONE! It's ridiculous that Apple can't produce enough for demand.

As I have said before this isn't actually that uncommon in electronics. It isn't immediately after release that worries me it is if it is 6 months down the line.