The worst day for NYC firefighters since 9/11

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/24/firefighters.killed.ap/

(link intentionally made unclickable)

Ok, now, the reason I bring this up, (it's technically old news) is that when I heard this "Worst one-day death toll since 9/11" type headlines on the 24th, my heart sank and I said "Oh no, what's happened?" and sought out CNN and more info.

I was fully expecting 10- 100 dead firemen, in some enormous blaze.

Now, yes, 3 deaths -is- tragic, as is one, but seriously - did this headline need to be this vague and dreadful? And no, I'm not "disappointed" that it was "only" three dead, don't even go there. But this is almost at the level of fraud, playing gotcha! with the public's heartstrings.

Is this what the media has become? Put out vague teasers and let the clicks and ratings roll in?

So, if three people drown next week in Indonesia will we get headlines like "Largest number of drownings in Asia since the Tsunami"?

This can be a general gripe about the media thread...just wanted to get that one out.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Become? It's been that way for a long time.

[11o'clocknews]Could sex kill you? Story at 11.[/11o'clocknews]

[11o'clocknews]School lunches? Are they putting your kids at risk? Story at 11.[/11o'clocknews]

• Reply 2 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/24/firefighters.killed.ap/

(link intentionally made unclickable)

Ok, now, the reason I bring this up, (it's technically old news) is that when I heard this "Worst one-day death toll since 9/11" type headlines on the 24th, my heart sank and I said "Oh no, what's happened?" and sought out CNN and more info.

I was fully expecting 10- 100 dead firemen, in some enormous blaze.

Now, yes, 3 deaths -is- tragic, as is one, but seriously - did this headline need to be this vague and dreadful? And no, I'm not "disappointed" that it was "only" three dead, don't even go there. But this is almost at the level of fraud, playing gotcha! with the public's heartstrings.

Is this what the media has become? Put out vague teasers and let the clicks and ratings roll in?

So, if three people drown next week in Indonesia will we get headlines like "Largest number of drownings in Asia since the Tsunami"?

This can be a general gripe about the media thread...just wanted to get that one out.

grow up.

it was one of the deadliest days in department history. there is no problem saying that. the fact that it is ONLY 3 guys does not take anything away from that. if anything it makes one realize just how massive a loss 9/11 was to the NYFD. You have no respect for anyone. Stop bitching about the media and wasting your life away. Two of the dead were from my high school. One of them lost his brother in 9/11 and now both brothers are gone.

It's a headline, and yet you feel the need to use it against their losses and belittle them simply because you want an excuse to berate the media.

again, grow up and find better things to put your efforts into.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Ahhh I don't know. I think that when the media succumbs to such inflammatory headlines a bit of their credibility is lost.

I can see both sides. There is neither a right or wrong answer here. I just think people are tired of sensationalism and manipulation.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Ahhh I don't know. I think that when the media succumbs to such inflammatory headlines a bit of their credibility is lost.

I can see both sides. There is neither a right or wrong answer here. I just think people are tired of sensationalism and manipulation.

unfortunately, as johnq shows, 3 deaths to many people seems like nothing, not a tragic lost, not a big hit, not much of a news story. that's what's really sad. maybe it is senationalism, but unfortunately, that's what it takes to get notice from most people these days. if the headline read 3 die in NY blaze, I doubt he would have ever clicked and would not have even cared about the men who died when they were forced to jump from a 4th story window after the wind changed direction and trapped them.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

grow up.

it was one of the deadliest days in department history. there is no problem saying that. the fact that it is ONLY 3 guys does not take anything away from that. if anything it makes one realize just how massive a loss 9/11 was to the NYFD. You have no respect for anyone. Stop bitching about the media and wasting your life away. Two of the dead were from my high school. One of them lost his brother in 9/11 and now both brothers are gone.

It's a headline, and yet you feel the need to use it against their losses and belittle them simply because you want an excuse to berate the media.

again, grow up and find better things to put your efforts into.

First, what I want to say, I am luckily forbidden to say.

Second, what part of "I'm not 'disappointed' that it was 'only' three dead, don't even go there." and "3 deaths -is- tragic, as is one" didn't you understand?

Can't you see my point is I don't want the media belittling their losses by using 9/11 (or X catastrophe) as a teaser, a surefire way to get ratings?

So now, 4 deaths will be "The worst day for NYC firefighters since 9/11", then 5 deaths will be "The worst day for NYC firefighters since 9/11".

It's endless, so why not avoid the comparison and give each tragedy it's own due attention? Why is something like "3 NYC firefighters die in tragic blaze" not just as good? Or even "3 dead in one of NYFD's deadliest days".

Did you even read my post? What the hell is your problem.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

unfortunately, as johnq shows, 3 deaths to many people seems like nothing, not a tragic lost, not a big hit, not much of a news story. that's what's really sad.

How dare you.

THAT ISN'T MY VIEW. GET A GODDAMN CLUE.

Quote:

maybe it is senationalism, but unfortunately, that's what it takes to get notice from most people these days. if the headline read 3 die in NY blaze, I doubt he would have ever clicked and would not have even cared about the men who died when they were forced to jump from a 4th story window after the wind changed direction and trapped them.

How dare you say I wouldn't have? That's my whole POINT, that they need not use 9/11 as a surefire way to get people to read the story, the story is compelling and tragic ENOUGH on it's own.

I regret bothering to reply to you.

Oh, Mr. Applenut is a New Yorker and has exclusive right to speak on all things New York and don't dare talk about sensitive issues.

Get real. You're sounding more like you're from Cambridge, Mass, not da Bronx.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

First, what I want to say, I am luckily forbidden to say.

Second, what part of "I'm not 'disappointed' that it was 'only' three dead, don't even go there." and "3 deaths -is- tragic, as is one" didn't you understand?

Can't you see my point is I don't want the media belittling their losses by using 9/11 (or X catastrophe) as a teaser, a surefire way to get ratings?

So now, 4 deaths will be "The worst day for NYC firefighters since 9/11", then 5 deaths will be "The worst day for NYC firefighters since 9/11".

It's endless, so why not avoid the comparison and give each tragedy it's own due attention? Why is something like "3 NYC firefighters die in tragic blaze" not just as good? Or even "3 dead in one of NYFD's deadliest days".

Did you even read my post? What the hell is your problem.

I read every part of your disgusting post. You simply tried to save yourself by sayin things like that and hiding behind your claim of not wanting the media belittling their losses

I refuse to argue in a thread about the deaths of firemen. if that is what you want you wont get it from me. Again, grow up, and find better things to get upset about.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

I read every part of your disgusting post. You simply tried to save yourself by sayin things like that and hiding behind your claim of not wanting the media belittling their losses

"tried to save yourself by sayin things like that"?? It's in the first post, un-edited! Are you...literate?

Quote:

I refuse to argue in a thread about the deaths of firemen. if that is what you want you wont get it from me. Again, grow up, and find better things to get upset about.

What the hell are you talking about? I clearly was taking the firemen/families/public's side vs. manipulation by the media.

Where did you come up with the idea I am arguing about the "deaths of firemen"?? My uncle was a fireman, I watched him die from lung cancer from years of smoke/toxins inhalation. Don't tell me I don't care about firemen...

I said "my heart sank and I said 'Oh no, what's happened?'" out of shock and dread for their safety.

I even turned off URL parsing so the link is less likely to be followed (but included for reference) because I didn't want CNN profiting from the poor, to me, abusive, choice of headline.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Worst. Thread. Ever. Thanks, troll.

One troll takes what would have been a level-headed discussion of media practices or general appreciation of firefighters and he turns it into a "I care more about firefighters than you do" pissing contest.

Edit: Cleaned up my language, mustn't let the trolls win.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Thank you, I feel that headlines need not trick or scare people. If the story is told straight, it will be inherently compelling, without need for tricks and embellishments and people will read it.

Using a horrific event as basis for comparison sets the readers up for dread, expecting similar numbers and recalling old loss and fear, and when the reality is tragic but far less so than a headline suggests, the reader feels abused by the news source.

Underlying any invocations of such events like 9/11 (but not exclusively this event) are countless additional fears, terrorism, how widespread is the scope of the vent, is it ongoing, etc. that go along with it. Such comparisons only make things worse.

If there is a tsunami in Hawaii and it kills 30 but the headline is "Deadiest Tsunami since 2004 hits Hawaii" (however true it might be), people will trip over themselves trying to get more info, with all the fears that it is widespread and devastating as was the 2004 Tsunami, yet they might find it was "only" a ferry with 30 people in it and no damage was done elsewhere.

That's a hypothetical, but it hopefully shows what I'm talking about. Of course, 30 deaths is tragic. That isn't being argued (*sigh* appletroll).

I'm saying that media need to weigh their words more carefully, that certain things might get more clicks/points but ultimately the public might start to see through it. Weigh the connotations/implications, not merely the words. 9/11, 2004 Tsunami, Holocaust...all have "massive scope" connotations that should not be overlooked or abused. That fear-of-similar-scope is what grabs people's heartstrings and gets them to the site/channel - that's abuse.

Scott, true, it's been happening and I know that but perhaps this was the last straw, for me anyway. I don't quite trust headlines now.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Aaaaah the media, making Americans afraid of their shadow since it's conception.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Reminds me of the take The Simpsons had about the news

"A world leader has been assassinated! We'll tell you which one, right after this."