Best Browser and Why?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So, since we're having a big discussion on if and why surfing the web on a Mac is slower, and since a lot of that debate revolves around browsers and their merits, how about a discussion on specifically which is the "best" browser to use and why?

Personally, I haven't quite decided. I too have noticed that surfing on a Mac is often slower than a less capable Windows machine. I've been using Safari primarily but also have available IE and Firefox.

For me, Safari is the best of the three, but I'm still looking for more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    If we talk about rendering speed, then Firefox wins hands down. Followed closely by Opera and then Camino. I think Safari is the last of these (excluding the abomination of IE).

In terms of overall look and feel, Safari wins. That's because the UI is made by the same guys that made the OS, so it has an advantage there.

In terms of extensions, plugins, and other capabilities, Firefox wins again. And I think it will win for a long time to come, especially when its 1.1 and 1.5 versions come that promise more optimization for Mac OS X.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    'Best'?

That's like asking which automobile is 'best'.

Perhaps a discussion of the merits of each would be more productive.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessearl

So, since we're having a big discussion on if and why surfing the web on a Mac is slower, and since a lot of that debate revolves around browsers and their merits, how about a discussion on specifically which is the "best" browser to use and why?

Personally, I haven't quite decided. I too have noticed that surfing on a Mac is often slower than a less capable Windows machine. I've been using Safari primarily but also have available IE and Firefox.

For me, Safari is the best of the three, but I'm still looking for more.

dfiler is correct. There is no "best," there are only personal preferences. If Safari works for you, then use it. If not, download and test each of your options. Most are free. If you need someone to tell you which browser is best for you, then perhaps browsers are not your problem.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    OmniWeb beats all.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    I have a dual 2x2.0 and a fast internet connection. Based on this my experiences are the following.

Fastest:

1: Camino/Firefox

2: Safari

3 : Omniweb

Nicest Gui

Omniweb/Safari

Camino

Firefox

Most Productive

1: Omniweb (by a margin!)

2: Safari

3: Camino/Firefox (yes, I'm aware of Extensions!)

So, even though Omniweb is slower, it's my overall favourite browser because it has so many nice features I've become used to.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Safari is the most feature-rich and with the absolute best polish and look-and-feel, but is often bogged down for no apprent reason. Firefox is insanely fast and has good formatting, but has a really PC-like look and feel to its interface.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Safari is the most feature-rich and with the absolute best polish and look-and-feel, but is often bogged down for no apprent reason. Firefox is insanely fast and has good formatting, but has a really PC-like look and feel to its interface.

Safari feature-rich?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    OmniWeb has a ton more features, useful features, than Safari. That should be easily demonstrable.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    I made two movies showing the power of Omniweb in combination with Quicksilver. This combination allows for amazingly fast searches! A feature I use all the time.

:: right here ::

• Reply 10 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

I made two movies showing the power of Omniweb in combination with Quicksilver. This combination allows for amazingly fast searches! A feature I use all the time.

:: right here ::

Oh, a Big Lebowski fan.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Indeed, The Dude rules I'm even more a fan of John Turturro who is brilliant as 'The Jesus' and plays an unforgettable bowling scene!!
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Oh I know I know. I've seen that movie at least 15 times. Its great.

"Nobody fuck_s with The Jesus"
  • Reply 13 of 28
    No to mention that great line: 'I'll pull the trigger until it goes cllllick!' Absolutely brilliant. I'm sure you'll like Oh Brother where art thou as well
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Oh I've seen it. I'm a Coen Brothers fan. I watch their movies regularly though some of the last ones did disappoint me a bit.

Have you seen Miller's Crossing? THAT is a good movie.

p.s. do you remember the scene in the coffe shop with The Dude and Walter? "What about the toe?!!?!?" - "Forget about the fuck_ing toe!!!"
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Cool - I'm a Coen Brothers fan too. Watch their movies all the time as well. Great to 'meet' another fan!

(sorry about the thread hijacking guys!)
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by macanoid?

Cool - I'm a Coen Brothers fan too. Watch their movies all the time as well. Great to 'meet' another fan!

(sorry about the thread hijacking guys!)

Barton Fink

The big Lebowski

Fargo

Intolerable Cruelty

O brother...

Miller's Crossing
  • Reply 17 of 28
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    but only one syncs with .mac so it's easier to use safari, but i don't like the hangs and beachball firefox on my pc rocks, i wish i could import bookmarks from safari to firefox for os10--can it be done???
  • Reply 18 of 28
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    OmniWeb also syncs bookmarks with .mac.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    I think speedwise for me Opera is the fastest. Not only does it render websites very quickly it is also the most responsive interface-wise. In Safari (especially) and also in Firefox, often switching tabs while loading somewhat complex sites will either get me the beachball or I won't be able to switch until a site has finished rendering. In Opera, maybe because it's well threaded, I can switch tabs instantly even while loading multiple complex sites. The achilles heel of Opera is its somewhat un-Mac-like interface but I'll sacrifice that for speed.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Safari all around.

Mozilla to open any sites Safari has problems with. I've yet to find a site that Mozilla cannot navigate. I'll switch to Firefox since it uses the same code as Mozilla (correct?) after reading this thread.

Omniweb is interesting, but I find it's interface overly complicated for my taste and since it uses the same code as Safari, what's the point? It's thumbnailed tabbed browsing is just silly, I normally have too many tabs open to use it, and discerning between pages graphically is too hard (try choosing between different AI forums!).