PowerBook G5 and iBook G5 Leaked By Taiwan Contractors

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Digitimes is probably the least accurate of all mac rumor sites. From MacRumors:

Quote:

Beyond all the sites that offered premature predictions of PowerBook updates, one site in particular stands out as a source of misinformation.

Digitimes.com claimed in January 2003 that Apple was going to start production of a 15.4" PowerBook in the "near future", and later claimed that 15.4" PowerBook production was ramping up in June. It turns out, that these reports were wrong... and, in fact, may have sparked off all the (inaccurate) speculation and rumors of PowerBook updates over the past 8 months.

Digitimes has previously had other inaccurate reports, including 19" iMacs, termination of 17" iMac Production, and an Apple Tablet. As a result, future reports from Digitimes should be met with skepticism.

That was a while ago, but they haven't gotten any better since then. I would completely disregard anything they report.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

Well, I, and I think just about everyone else here was(when talking about dropping bombs,ect)....

Well, you were replying to a post that also mentioned macbidouille, so I guess it was an easy misunderstanding to make. (for both of us)
  • Reply 23 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Digitimes is probably the least accurate of all mac rumor sites.

That was a while ago, but they haven't gotten any better since then. I would completely disregard anything they report.

True. I presume that's why the Digitimes page on the G5 portables is still up and Apple does not seem to bother at all.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    I think it's all BS honestly...
  • Reply 25 of 38
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think the bomb willl be a G5-class processor like a 970CX or 950. Very low power, SP only, maybe a memory/PCI controller built in. Just for portable use.

that's an interesting bomb.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think the bomb willl be a G5-class processor like a 970CX or 950. Very low power, SP only, maybe a memory/PCI controller built in. Just for portable use.

MacNewsWorld, MacObserver reports just such a thing - the Power5 chip from IBM... all refer to an InfoWorld article on Power5

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/39327.html

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2004/12/15.7.shtml

This Tom Yager guy seems to be the main cheerleader for Power5 and possible Power5 in Apple...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...e&NewsID=10441

My chips (pun intended) are 80% chance that this is the chip that's gonna be the PowerBook and iBook G5 in 2005.

This feels right... but I'm gonna check out the IBM website for leads on Power5. I am new to the IBM pipeline thing and their power.org

edit: checking now... Power5 derivative could be our G5-mobile, peoples.... cheers and let's hope it comes true **cool.. i'm kicking back with an iBook, heineken, and chillin with my dad with some English FA cup football on tv**
  • Reply 27 of 38
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

edit: checking now... Power5 derivative could be our G5-mobile, peoples....

Frankly, I would not hold my breath on that.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    In related news, rumour has leaked of an asbestos lap pad from Griffin Technology...

Folks, the G5 Tower ain't that big and ugly 'cause it needs to be, it's for housing the requisite heatsink(s) and cooling fan(s). I think it's totally unrealistic to expect a G5 Powerbook anytime soon, but that's JMHO. If there is, the 45 minute battery life should stifle all of those dying for a G5 PB.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    <_____WOOOPS_________>

SORRY!

Story already posted by Appleinsider

</_____WOOOPS_________>

Quote:

Xbox, Apple are wins for the Hypertransport Consortium

Where's that angel Gabriel when you need him?

By Wil Harris: Wednesday 26 January 2005, 09:14

WHILE STUMBLING through the thickets of the World Wide Wibble, we came across a Word document that contained something that we'd never seen before.

The Word document is a copy of Digital Video and Multimedia News, and it contains a summary, as you might expect, of news in the digital video sector. This particular issue covers February.

In its writeup of the Electronics Summit 2004, a conference for Electronics editors that we've never heard of, it mentions some of the design wins of different technologies. Number 7 on the list is Hypertransport, that well known technology used in AMD 64 chips and Power Macs. As well as IBM and AMD, who we know use the protocol in those systems, the Xbox is listed as a design win. No big shakes, of course, since we already know that it will use IBM for its processing.

But perhaps the most interesting confirmation is that Hypertransport has a design win for the Apple PowerBook. This would appear to be confirmation that a G5 PowerBook is definitely turning up and that despite thermal problems, it is at least in the works. We dug and dug, but couldn't find any other document pertaining to this win on the Wibblesome Wobble, so consider yourselves informed. µ

Xbox, Apple are wins for the Hypertransport Consortium

http://www.appleinsider.com/article....vailability...
  • Reply 30 of 38
    thats a joke, a g5 in a laptop, might look somthing like this:

might as well throw a handle on it and call it an electronic breifcase.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jiggm

thats a joke, a g5 in a laptop, might look somthing like this:

might as well throw a handle on it and call it an electronic breifcase.

Nice try jiggm, but you forgot the fans and radiator fins.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Remembering thermal specs from Mac OS X 10.3.5, there were only two PowerBook models based on the 970FX's thermal characteristics. Which would explain the 15" and 17" models. I seriously doubt iBooks would see them at the same time, since they would cut into PowerBook sales, but alas we see the iMac outdoing the PowerBook specs currently. Time will tell.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Nice try jiggm, but you forgot the fans and radiator fins.

Yeah, also, sold separately and not pictured, the portable external gas generator; do you think they'd let me use it on the bus lol?
  • Reply 34 of 38
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    I'd like to see the new powerbooks with upgradeable graphics cards.

And if they can squeeze a 2ghz G5 in there as well, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
  • Reply 35 of 38
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

I'd like to see the new powerbooks with upgradeable graphics cards.

And if they can squeeze a 2ghz G5 in there as well, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

The plot thickens.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01..._powerbook_g5/

I really need a laptop and the wait for whatever Apple is going to announce is driving me crazy. I don't even care if it is not a G5.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

The plot thickens.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01..._powerbook_g5/

I really need a laptop and the wait for whatever Apple is going to announce is driving me crazy. I don't even care if it is not a G5.

You can see my post on the thread about his article why I'm skeptical that this means anything. And no matter when you buy, Apple will be working on something new. There were rumors about the first G5 for a couple of year predicting it was just around the corner. If you listened to those, you spent a long of time on your G4 500 waiting for what was going to be announced "next Tuesday."
  • Reply 37 of 38
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Originally posted by D.J. Adequate

And no matter when you buy, Apple will be working on something new.

While this is generally true, you'd be crazy to buy a current powerbook when the line is obviously due for an ugrade which will probably bring better features for the same (or lower) price.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

While this is generally true, you'd be crazy to buy a current powerbook when the line is obviously due for an ugrade which will probably bring better features for the same (or lower) price.

It depends, since you really don't know when it will be upgraded. If, for example, I had a project that required a portable Mac it would make much more sense to buy the current one and take the job--rather than pass on the job and wait for a possible upgrade. Or, if my semester started now and I needed a computer for school I'd feel that I was better off buying one now and using it, instead of waiting till the semester was over still waiting for an upgrade.

For me, the equation is simply this--is the cost of the machine justified by what I want to do with it. If I want to do school work, and it's worth $1000 bucks to me, then I buy an iBook--knowing it will still be worth that despite what happens a few months down the road.

Now, if I wanted to edit HD Video with a powerbook--I'd probably wait. Other than that...

As I say, the rumors of "Next Tuesday" can last an awful lot of Tuesdays.