FM transmitting with a Mac, can you do it??

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey all,

im looking for a (cheap) way of playing my iTunes mp3 collection through my stereo. If i had an iPod i'd buy the iTrip, but i don't so i was wondering if there is anyway to get my Mac to transmit an FM signal for my stereo to pick up???

I really don't know a lot about radio or about transmitting a signal, but is it possible there's software that can do this? Or will it require a piece of Hardware??

thanks for your time, i hope you can help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Hey all,

im looking for a (cheap) way of playing my iTunes mp3 collection through my stereo. If i had an iPod i'd buy the iTrip, but i don't so i was wondering if there is anyway to get my Mac to transmit an FM signal for my stereo to pick up???

I really don't know a lot about radio or about transmitting a signal, but is it possible there's software that can do this? Or will it require a piece of Hardware??

thanks for your time, i hope you can help

6ft headphone extension cords are like 3 bucks, so get a few of those and then a '1/8" to RCA" adapter cable. or get airport express.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    But to answer your question...

Simply plug any FM broadcaster into your headphone output on the mac. Keep in mind though, that most of these are desiged for use in a car and have fairly limited in range. How far away is the stereo?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    my stereo is probably 4m (or 12 feet) from my computer