General knowledge on power sockets, Mac Power boards and iMac G5s

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey everyone,

we've recently got outselves a new iMac after our old one (one of the original blue/green all-in-one units) died. We dragged it out to the Apple shop to find out how it had died, and apparently the 'power board' had died. Basically it was gonna cost more than the computer's worth to fix it.

Just before it died (i was the one using it when it carked it) it was making these loud clicking sounds, which had something to do with the power source - i'd also noticed that the screen would flicker really suddenly, like you'd expect to happen during a storm (i never used it in storms). By the way, the flickering wasn't because of our power source - we've been here nearly 5 years and i've only been in one short (5 min) blackout.

So now we've got a new computer and it's connected to the same power socket (it's sitting in the same place as the old computer used to) and i keep here these kinda loud clicking, almost buzzing noises. They sound like the screen warming up, but im afraid that it could be something to do with the power board.

Basically, i want to know if im being paranoid, or should i throw and extension cable on the computer and hook it up to another room's power socket??

By the way, we've also got a cordless phone connected to the same board, and it's never had any kind of power problems..

Sorry this is so long! i Just wanted to explain myself properly.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    It's plugged into a powerstrip, right?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Yes it is.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by spiers69

Yes it is.

get one of those APC back up systems. i've got my G5, 20 inch display, and external hard drives plugged into it. it's saved me about 30 times (seriously cause my apartment has crappy wiring), and it also insures your stuff if the back up system causes electrical problems. when crap goes down, i have about 15 minutes with all that plugged in to save and sleep, or it can do it itself. anyways, i highly recommend it for peace of mind (cause we all know applecare doesnt really do that).
  • Reply 4 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Yes, you always need an UPS because it guards your expensive hardware against power surges and outages.