Wal-Mart and Apple will team to promote iPod shuffle

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer has initiated a partnership with Wal-Mart that will soon see the iPod shuffle featured at Wal-Mart discount locations around the country, AppleInsider has learned.

According to sources close to the retail giant, Wal-Mart in April will begin receiving mass quantities of Apple's new iPod shuffle digital music player, which it will then make available in many, if not all, of its nearly 5000 locations.

The deal between the two companies will be capped by a feature in Wal-Mart's March tabular advertisement, sources say.

Typically speaking, a Wal-Mart feature calls for at least 50 units -- in this case 25+ of each shuffle model -- per hometown store, while metro area locations would require significantly larger quantities of the product.

Figuring conservatively, with 5000 stores each receiving approximately 50 units, the feature alone would demand a quarter million shuffles. "That of course is in addition to regular sell through, and is a very conservative number," sources added.

Wal-Mart, which initially seemed willing to provide AppleInsider with specifics of the endeavor, abruptly recanted on its offer, citing confidentiality agreements with its suppliers.

The company also declined to say whether it would begin carrying Apple's new Mac mini computer. However, sources claim this is unlikely due to the mini's higher price point and lack of mainstream appeal.

Also on Friday, word broke that Best Buy had signed on to carry Apple's Mac mini in some of its retail stores. A report in The Mac Observer provides subsequent confirmation of the deal, adding that Best Buy will also begin marketing the 512MB iPod shuffle at over 780 of its stores.

In its investigation into the Wal-Mart deal, AppleInsider learned that the retailer had originally sought to launch its feature of the iPod shuffle a little later in the year. Apple reportedly told Wal-Mart it would be unable to guarantee sufficient quantity for all its stores at this later date, suggesting it may have already committed to similar deals with other large retailers within the same time frame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81
    oh man. . .

Wal Mart? Isn't that the place where the employees make minimum wage (or, less, if they can find contractors who'll hire illegal immigrants for them as they look the other way?) and have to pay more than the average worker does to get their families insured?

Isn't that the place that keeps their lawyers busy defending them against class action lawsuits detailing no pay for hours worked, women unable to become managers, etc.?

Sigh.

say it ain't so, Steve. . .
  • Reply 2 of 81
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Walmart+apple=temporary insanity!!!
  • Reply 3 of 81
    the Wammy-lart = the world's largest single retail chain. Essentially this is the action of the plebs seeing a lovely wooden horse outside and hauling it onto the sales floor for distribution into houses everywhere.

Two elements to this decision:

1. iTMS will make a bloody fortune - Walmart has their own music store, but sadly, it's incompatible, and who really wants their music censored anyway? Enter the Halo Effect(tm)*

2. if the shuffle does well, you may just see the mini on Walmart sales floors. Increased Mac sales will reduce the average stress level of the joe six pack consumer due to zilch on the virus and spyware front making the North Atlantic area glow with happiness, they'll purchase more technology, leading us into an economic renaissance leading to prosperity and joy for all and the streets will flow free will milk and honey.

Seriously though, with due respect to the red and blue smocks out there, it matters not what the compensation model is for staff at Walmart (which I imagine isn't near as bad as what you've described). This is la capitalisme! Don't like your job? Get a better one. Can't get a better one? Go get an education for Jobs sake!

Walmart is just another lovely distribution channel to invade and conquer. Rule Mactania, yo.

*Halo Effect(tm) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the RDF(c)(tm)(r)
  • Reply 4 of 81
    The end times are near
  • Reply 5 of 81
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Great for Apple, and ultimately the Mac platform... but Wal-Mart deserves a boycott if anyone ever did! For an ENDLESS list of reasons. (These are the people that put up a store half a mile from the ancient Pyramid of the Sun in Mexico--despite local objections.)

If you have WMP or Real, check out this PBS documentary on Wal-Mart:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl.../walmart/view/
  • Reply 6 of 81
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sheilae

oh man. . .

Wal Mart? Isn't that the place where the employees make minimum wage (or, less, if they can find contractors who'll hire illegal immigrants for them as they look the other way?) and have to pay more than the average worker does to get their families insured?

Isn't that the place that keeps their lawyers busy defending them against class action lawsuits detailing no pay for hours worked, women unable to become managers, etc.?

Sigh.

say it ain't so, Steve. . .

No, most of their employees are full-time employees (they said so in an ad I saw). But, then again, full-time is something like 28 hours, so maybe that means nothing.

But they don't have to make much, since they can shop at walmart. The money they save is money Walmart doesn't have to pay them.

Of course, putting Apple stuff in Walmarts is completely nuts. Apple products are about class and quality. Walmart stuff is about cheap crap produced by the lowest off-shore bidder (all part of Sam Walton's Patriotic vision, I'm sure). I've never been to a Wal-mart that was messy and cluttered, aisles partially blocked with half-assed displays, everything on the shelves looking like someone rummaged through it at 5am thinking their alarm clock was in there, and, if you're lucky, what you're looking for will be on the shelf it should be, rather than over here, or over there, or whereever someone decided to deposit it. Shopping in a Wal-mart is not done for the enjoyment of it, its because you either have to, or just want to try to save money on paper towels or buy some cheap clothes or a DVD player as a gift for someone.
  • Reply 7 of 81
    This is like a warm toilet seat - technically a good thing, but makes you feel bad.

I despise Walmart, but can't ignore the market validation (value) that this gives Apple and the shuffle.

lb
  • Reply 8 of 81
    I don't have any problem with Wal mart. I don't go there myself more than once or twice a year, but I have no problem with the place. I think it will be good to have the shuffle sold at Walmart. I'm not sure how well it will sell there, but it is something to try.
  • Reply 9 of 81
    Wal-Mart isn't the only new retailer selling Apple stuff. Best Buy is going to add the Mac mini, there was recently a picture of a book store chain (Borders or Barnes & Noble) with minis on the service counter. Won't be long before you'll be able to get a Mac mini or iPod shuffle at a lot of places. That is going to blow sales out in about 4 - 6 months when supply catches up with demand.

Regardless of what you think of Wal-Mart there is no doubt that Apple has caught the attention of retailers and this is going to have a huge impact on the performance of the stock in the next quarter.
  • Reply 10 of 81
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    If there was any doubt that Apple is ready to shed it's "luxury" image, and play the down n' dirty low-budget world, that doubt is now squashed.
  • Reply 11 of 81
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Walmart stuff is about cheap crap produced by the lowest off-shore bidder (all part of Sam Walton's Patriotic vision, I'm sure). I've never been to a Wal-mart that was messy and cluttered, aisles partially blocked with half-assed displays, everything on the shelves looking like someone rummaged through it at 5am thinking their alarm clock was in there, and, if you're lucky, what you're looking for will be on the shelf it should be, rather than over here, or over there, or whereever someone decided to deposit it. Shopping in a Wal-mart is not done for the enjoyment of it, its because you either have to, or just want to try to save money on paper towels or buy some cheap clothes or a DVD player as a gift for someone. [/B]

The wal-mart near my house is not like that at all.

It is clean, well orgainsed, and the stuff there is

good stuff (not cheap crap) for the most part. I don't

like the electronics or shoe sections, admittedly.

The auto section is the best place to get a new

car battery.

I recently bought some cool rubbermaid containers with

locking tops to organise my computer and audio cable

collection. Except for the parking, I like wal-mart.
  • Reply 12 of 81
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Regardless of what you think of Wal-Mart there is no doubt that Apple has caught the attention of retailers and this is going to have a huge impact on the performance of the stock in the next quarter.

Well, if the stock value goes up, it must be a good thing! For everyone! One would have to be stupid, a Communist, or hate America/freedom to think otherwise.
  • Reply 13 of 81
    dp
  • Reply 14 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Well, if the stock value goes up, it must be a good thing! One would have to be stupid, a Communist, or hate America/freedom to think otherwise.

The stock value goes up because of expectations of future earnings. The *only* purpose of a company is to get a good return on the investment of its owners, while staying within the law. So if the stock value goes up, they did the right thing.

If they lied to make the stock value go up, then it would be different (entirely contrary to the core purposes of return for investors and staying within the law).
  • Reply 15 of 81
    I won't shop at Wal-Mart. Or Sam's Club. Thankfully, there are choices, and here in Northern California, there are plenty of stores that provide a living wage to their employees, as well as the extra benefits, like health care.

I see those Wal-Mart commercials on TV, too. Read the facts.

http://www.ufcw.org/worker_political...rm/walmart.cfm
  • Reply 16 of 81
    Walmart will soon demand cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. There is no way to do cheaper and cheaper and cheaper.

say it ain't so!

stick to Target!!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The stock value goes up because of expectations of future earnings. The *only* purpose of a company is to get a good return on the investment of its owners, while staying within the law. So if the stock value goes up, they did the right thing.

If they lied to make the stock value go up, then it would be different (entirely contrary to the core purposes of return for investors and staying within the law).

Yes, a "good return". It's fair to say that Apple investors have already got a good return on their investment.

The question is how far do you go once you've already provided a good return? Should you team up with any company -- regardless of its horribly exploitive track record -- as long as it increases shareholder's profits even more?

Yeah, I know -- "it's capitalism." But Apple is being hypocritical by flaunting it's free-thinking image, while getting into bed with Walmart
  • Reply 18 of 81
    Quote:

Yes, a "good return". It's fair to say that Apple investors have already got a good return on their investment.

The question is how far do you go once you've already provided a good return? Should you team up with any company -- regardless of its horribly exploitive track record -- as long as it increases shareholder's profits even more?

Yeah, I know -- "it's capitalism." But Apple is being hypocritical by flaunting it's free-thinking image, while getting into bed with Walmart

No, good returns are never allowed to end.

You invest the money in stock, which is higher

risk than investing in fixed income. In exchange

for that risk, you are entitled to a higher return.

The directors and CEO of the company you invested

in are *required* to give you the best return you

can get. If you can prove that they didn't,

then you can sue them (and shareholder lawsuits

are common).
  • Reply 19 of 81
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Well, if the stock value goes up, it must be a good thing! For everyone! One would have to be stupid, a Communist, or hate America/freedom to think otherwise.

\

• Reply 20 of 81
    Quote:

Originally posted by sheilae

I won't shop at Wal-Mart. Or Sam's Club. Thankfully, there are choices, and here in Northern California, there are plenty of stores that provide a living wage to their employees, as well as the extra benefits, like health care.

I see those Wal-Mart commercials on TV, too. Read the facts.

http://www.ufcw.org/worker_political...rm/walmart.cfm

Imagine that, a labor union complaining about wal-mart. \

This has less to do with concern over wal-mart employees and more to do with the membership dues from the million plus employees they aren't getting because wal-mart isn't unionized.