File Vault !!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am trying to turn off file vault and it says I don't have enough space to do it! Any ideas what I can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

I am trying to turn off file vault and it says I don't have enough space to do it! Any ideas what I can do?

Do you have a backup drive? Like a Lacie external or something?

Do you have a DVD burner?

I'd offload some files, like all your iTunes for example.

Get Info on your Home folder. You'll need at least that as free space. And more for system/swap files.

Thing about Filevault is, while it's undoing itself, it needs to store another copy of the files/folders elsewhere on disk, so that if you crash or quit it somehow, the original is still intact.

It's a GOOD thing. Might not seem like it though if you're tight on space.

FileVault is simply a Disk Image (similar to a ZIP or Stuffit archive). If someone gave you a 6GB ZIP or Stuffit File and you tried to expand it, you'd need at least 6GB available (likely much more since it's compressed!). So there's nothing inherently sucky about FileVault in this regard.

I'm not sure if FileVault also compresses (I think it merely encrypts - not the same thing), so I think the free space doesn't need to be much bigger than the Home folder. (Someone correct me)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    I got it fixed! Thanks!