eMac and PowerBook declared EOL

Comments

• Reply 261 of 315
    *important: this is not to say that they arent people (guys or gals, hot or not or whatever) that aren't into both BDSM and Macs. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thats very true.... don't they go hand in hand?
  • Reply 262 of 315
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member

My favorites are the redhead, the guy who looks like he's deliviring a pizza (second row, red laptop case) who's oggling the redhead, and Special Ed in the middle wearing his Special Ed iSight.
  • Reply 263 of 315
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rayapple

"*important: this is not to say that they arent people (guys or gals, hot or not or whatever) that aren't into both BDSM and Macs. "

Thats very true.... don't they go hand in hand?

yeah my modern mac life really started back in '2001 in San Francisco when my first girlfriend read Rumi to me from her black PowerBook G3... i was like, i've never seen this before in the PC world, 'coz before that i was a PC nerd. since that fateful moment i've been a *ahem* sexy *ahem* mac dude

ah, she was a beautiful spiritual creative person...

ah... but it's not whether you use pc or mac, it's who you are....

NOT !!!!!
  • Reply 264 of 315
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

This is cool as well - it's amazing what you can find on google.

I just want to know if the guy in the X-Ray booth in the upper-left corner made it out ok, or if he was fried to a crisp?

• Reply 265 of 315
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

I just want to know if the guy in the X-Ray booth in the upper-left corner made it out ok, or if he was fried to a crisp?

Judging from what the panel above the door says, I would say this guy is just outside, perhaps under direct sunlight.
  • Reply 266 of 315
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Judging from what the panel above the door says, I would say this guy is just outside, perhaps under direct sunlight.

i concur
  • Reply 267 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

This is not the case.

I happened to have been the passer-bye that this group drafted to take this picture. I do know the truth regarding x-ray guy.

And it isn't pretty.
  • Reply 268 of 315
    getting back on track... i read on another forum that next rev pbs might have ati x700 mobility. what do you think?
  • Reply 269 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by drsuse

getting back on track... i read on another forum that next rev pbs might have ati x700 mobility. what do you think?

i think this will be good, particularly if it is a measly 167mhz speed bump on the G4, powerbook is apple's achilles heel right now and weakest value offering. GPU bump is always good. Anyone heard about the new nVidia GoXXXfx-something or other though?

luckily, Apple's got some time with all the SwitchBait (Mac mini, iPod everything, iMac, iBook) out there, which is also keeping analysts and shareholders distracted, but mobile professionals cannot be ignored for too much longer... unless somehow that target audience has become less important to apple...

when the 'real' G5 powerbook comes out, it's gotta be carbon-fibre, silver-black metallic, G5 with thermal problemas sorted outt....

it's gotta be real you go to a cafe, you open up your super sexy f8ck-off laptop, and be like, you centrino-sonoma-or-whatever losers can kiss my f8cking asss... check this baby out. Macs rule, end of story.

unless Apple feels that the PoweBook 'halo' effect is not worth that much anymore to their professional offerings, brand value, revenue or profits...

anyone know what the scene/market data is on laptops nowadays? maybe Apple is confident that the iBook is a strong enough offering at the moment?
  • Reply 270 of 315
    If we do not see a G4 Powerbook this coming Tuesday, the chances of a G5 Powerbook goes up dramatically. Let's face it, a slight boost G4 could have been available easily over a month ago when the chips were made available in the upgrade market.

The supply of 1.5 G4's have dried up and its just too important a profit center for sales to come to a halt. I'm more optimistic about a G5 with each passing week, this Tuesday being a defining moment.
  • Reply 271 of 315
    It has to come out this Tuesday, there are no powerbooks anywhere. I really don't think apple wants to piss off the consumer. They probably wanted the new mac mini to shine and then bring out the new powerbooks.

To be Honest...... if they don't come out on Tuesday, I'll be pissed since i'm switching from a PC. I could have a dell here by Tuesday but I sit here waiting for my new apple. Sad
  • Reply 272 of 315
    Quote:

It has to come out this Tuesday, there are no powerbooks anywhere. I really don't think apple wants to piss off the consumer. They probably wanted the new mac mini to shine and then bring out the new powerbooks.

To be Honest...... if they don't come out on Tuesday, I'll be pissed since i'm switching from a PC. I could have a dell here by Tuesday but I sit here waiting for my new apple. Sad

Keep the faith, bro, just think, you'll be stuck with that Dell for a few years when in a few weeks you might have a phat carbon-fibre G5 powerBook

I'm not really helping, am I?

*lights up a ciggie* All the best, bro
  • Reply 273 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Bob

The supply of 1.5 G4's have dried up and its just too important a profit center for sales to come to a halt. I'm more optimistic about a G5 with each passing week, this Tuesday being a defining moment.

How has supply of 1.5 dried up? This just from the apple store i configured, 15"

? 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM

? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? 15.2-inch TFT Display

Estimated Ship:

7-10 business days

Free Shipping

Subtotal $2,749.00
  • Reply 274 of 315
    Apple want to sell more laptops as they make more profits from them. They have a 50% sale of laptops - which is high and they want it higher. PowerBooks always undersell iBooks and iMacs always oversell PowerMacs. That's the way it is. Consumers buy more goods. Apple is not going to abandon it's professional laptop line. Although they have left it alone too long. G5 is taking too long, they want to release the G4 as late as possible to allow a long enough gap to release G5s.

Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

How has supply of 1.5 dried up? This just from the apple store i configured, 15"

? 1.5GHz PowerPC G4 with 128MB Graphics Memory

? 512MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 SO-DIMM

? 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400 rpm

? SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

? 15.2-inch TFT Display

Estimated Ship:

7-10 business days

Free Shipping

Subtotal $2,749.00

When shipping goes 7-10 days it means either there is very high demand or they're running out. Someone in Finland (who posted above) has had their order delayed twice!
  • Reply 275 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

When shipping goes 7-10 days it means either there is very high demand or they're running out. Someone in Finland (who posted above) has had their order delayed twice!

gotcha... thanks mate for clarifying. man, apple distribution has faced some major challenges last year and continues this year... i just don't know if that's necessarily a good thingk.

i've heard some horror stories in australia.... when i bought me gear in australia i always checked with reliable dealers if they could get it ready in nothing less than 3 days, otherwise i'd investigate getting a different model...

when in sydney though it helped having 2 apple dealers 1 block away from my house, if you can believe it...! it was hella fun *but exhausting* walking past the cafes with a bigass apple display box... or when the van turned up outside my door and a phat g5 box was gently unloaded in full view of cafe patrons and neighbours ah... the fabulous ghetto of SurryHills, Sydney, Australia. Hard to sleep if you were home on fri or sat nights though, with all the screaming drunk partygoers and what not...
  • Reply 276 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

gotcha... thanks mate for clarifying. man, apple distribution has faced some major challenges last year and continues this year... i just don't know if that's necessarily a good thingk.

i've heard some horror stories in australia.... when i bought me gear in australia i always checked with reliable dealers if they could get it ready in nothing less than 3 days, otherwise i'd investigate getting a different model...

when in sydney though it helped having 2 apple dealers 1 block away from my house, if you can believe it...! it was hella fun *but exhausting* walking past the cafes with a bigass apple display box... or when the van turned up outside my door and a phat g5 box was gently unloaded in full view of cafe patrons and neighbours ah... the fabulous ghetto of SurryHills, Sydney, Australia. Hard to sleep if you were home on fri or sat nights though, with all the screaming drunk partygoers and what not...

sounds like fun though! I wish I had an Apple dealer, the nearest I've got is Regent Street (90 miles away)! I suppose Dixons and PCWorld are supposed dealers but they don't sell everything, have any knowledge, up to date products or built to order options!
  • Reply 277 of 315
    so............ who thinks the upgrade will be this Tuesday?
  • Reply 278 of 315
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

so............ who thinks the upgrade will be this Tuesday?

I don't think it will happen until every dot on PowerBookCentral.com's website is red, meaning out of stock.
  • Reply 279 of 315
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't think it will happen until every dot on PowerBookCentral.com's website is red, meaning out of stock.

There are always some PowerBooks left so that customers can buy the old version cheaper. I think Monday or Tuesday - they'll be a .Mac announcement on Monday - why else spend over 24 hours servicing it?
  • Reply 280 of 315
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    I don't know why the SuperBowl rumblings died. It would be the perfect paltform to launch a new PB for both viewership and historical continuity. Now, I'm not saying that PB G5's will come out, but it is just a thought.