iPod shuffle kills iTunes! (yes, this is in Windows)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I know a lot of folks won't know the answer but I gotta try. Hundreds of people are driving long distances and standing in lines just to get iPod shuffles...and here I am with a shuffle that's been sitting on my desk for a week doing nothing because I can't get it to work!

Here's the deal: if you plug the shuffle in, iTunes bombs; if iTunes wasn't running then it starts up and immediately bombs. This is Windows XP and you get the usual "there was an error with itunes.exe" message with a memory dump.

Has anybody else had this trouble? I've verified that SP2 is installed as suggested and have also run the iPod Updater 2005-01-11 to reset the iPod.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Did you update iTunes to 4.7.1 first? I believe that's a requirement.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by yikes600

Did you update iTunes to 4.7.1 first? I believe that's a requirement.

Yes, I already had iTunes installed for a week so I could put music on and it was probably 4.7.1. But anyway I then installed everything from the CD that came with the shuffle to make sure it was all up to date.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    I'm not sure why its doing this. Unistall iTunes and uninstal any ipod program you put on your computor. Then reset your shuffle manually. Reinstal iTunes and then plug in your shuffle. See if that works. Dont installl any ipod software (im not sure if any comes with it, but i know i had a ipod software for my ipod, and when i never installed that.)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by nd32k3

I'm not sure why its doing this. Unistall iTunes and uninstal any ipod program you put on your computor. Then reset your shuffle manually. Reinstal iTunes and then plug in your shuffle. See if that works. Dont installl any ipod software (im not sure if any comes with it, but i know i had a ipod software for my ipod, and when i never installed that.)

Ok, tried all that but no dice. Uninstalled everything Apple related, reste the iPod and reinstalled iTunes only. Also as a test I tried this on a friend's PC and got the same results.

Could this just be a faulty iPod? I've heard the first batch of a new Apple product can have lots of trouble...but what are the chances really? Anyway, it's off to the Apple store for me to see what they say.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by joblowski

Ok, tried all that but no dice. Uninstalled everything Apple related, reste the iPod and reinstalled iTunes only. Also as a test I tried this on a friend's PC and got the same results.

Could this just be a faulty iPod? I've heard the first batch of a new Apple product can have lots of trouble...but what are the chances really? Anyway, it's off to the Apple store for me to see what they say.

If that didn't work I'm going to guess that it's a problem with the iPod. The Apple Store will replace it unless they can figure out what is wrong with it.

I love the Apple Store near me. They let me exchange a 2 month old Air Port Express (which I just realized I didn't need because I have a wireless router), for complete store credit and I got the iPod Shuffle basically for free! And I love mine, and it works great.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    qchemqchem Posts: 73member
    I know this isn't very helpful, but having Win XP SP2 installed almostly completely broke itunes for me. iPod syncs were hit and miss, and ripping cds would fail on at least one song from a single album.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Qchem

I know this isn't very helpful, but having Win XP SP2 installed almostly completely broke itunes for me. iPod syncs were hit and miss, and ripping cds would fail on at least one song from a single album.

But apple say that service pack 2 is a requirement!!!