Fastest OS for VPC7?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Ok, i have Virtual PeeCee 7 . Which is the faster of two evils?? XP Pro or 2000?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    nd32k3nd32k3 Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Ok, i have Virtual PeeCee 7 . Which is the faster of two evils?? XP Pro or 2000?

But either way it is a waste of space. They are both so slow on a mac, and slow down everything. What do you need it for?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Windows 2000 is definetaly the fastest under VPC -- and stable! Never had a blue screen of death on VPC. Everyone complains that its slow, but I've been using VPC for years and have even timed the boot times against "avereage" PC's at different companies and the boot times were within seconds of each other. I use VPC heavily for Microsoft Access development -- works fine. Just as responsive as on a real PC box....and this is using it on a first generation titanium powerbook G4-400 with only 384MB of memory. I don't understand the complaints about being slow -- I've used it for years for development work without any issues at all. Currently using VPC 7. You can also go to this web site to tweak you VPC/Windows 2000 drive image for optimum performance:

http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

Good luck!

8)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    waneawanea Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Go for win2000, I work with it in full screen mode at a resolution of 800x600, and it works fine for basic apps. In the VPC preferences there's a full screen option, choose "adjust Mac to match PC" and in full screen mode you'll have no major problems. But don't think of it as a substitute for OS X.

peace []
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You should also consider Win98.

Unless there is some particular feature of Win 2000/XP you need, 98 is way less resource intensive and quicker in VPC 7.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    pubguypubguy Posts: 108member
    Notice: if you use Windows 98 with VPC7 you will NOT be able to install the VPC additions and take advantage of the printer driver. The minimum is Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4, although there is a way to manually install the virtual printer driver without Service Pack 4. However, there is no way to install the virtual printer driver in Windows 98.